Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section Through in-place Family

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Montello
5778 Views, 14 Replies

Section Through in-place Family

I've created a family within a project. When I try to cut a section through it nothing is cut, the edge of the geometry is shown. The geometry is nothing but a simple extrusion with void extrusion making opening is the solid extrusion.

Any help?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
parveen.revit
in reply to: Montello

it depneds on which template you choosed for in place family.

There are cuttable and non cuttable family templates.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 3 of 15
Montello

Parveen:

Thanks for the reply. The family I created is  a generic model within a project, so there is no template associated with the model.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 15
Alfredo_Medina

It's not the template. It's the category. For example. a family can be started with the generic model template, which is not 'cuttable' and then, you can change the category to Casework. Immediately, the family can be cut again. The list of families that can be cut or not can be seen in the Visibility Graphics dialog box. The ones that don't cut have a shaded cell under the Cut columns (lines or pattern).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 15
vector2

A "family within a project" with "no template" is an in-place family.

In-place families in the category of generic DO cut in section.

Please post an image of what is not cutting.

Message 6 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: vector2

You are correct. As you can see in the Visibility Graphics dialog, generic models is not greyed out under the Cut columns. However, in the family editor, the visibility option to see the family "when cut in Plan/RCP if category permits" is unavailable, which is strange, since in other categories, this usually matches the settings of the VG dialog box. I see that generic models is an exception to that rule.

cut_if.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 15
parveen.revit

every in-place (or loadable component) family has a template (generic model is also a template).

You can choose the right template to avoid this situation, since you have already created a family by using Generic Model template, you can change it's category from 'Family Category and Parameters' in editing mode (see attached image).

Untill version 2009-10  this facility was not available (we didn't had option to change the in-place family category and template after we click finish button).

Message 8 of 15

How can you select or change a template for a model in place? You can change the category, which is different.

Message 9 of 15

Template is a set of predefined instructions.

Category for the in-place family is what i refer to as a template.

Message 10 of 15

Well, it is confusing to say that for a model in place, category and template are the same things.

Message 11 of 15

to avoid any confusion, I have attached at image wtih my answer in previous post.

I hope it is explanatory enough.

Message 12 of 15
Montello
in reply to: parveen.revit

Parveen:

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I am running Revit 2009 and do not have the option to change category. I have looked but can not find any option to do so when editing.

Also, my in-place model was created as a "Furniture System" (since it is a shelf/cabinet) and not a "Generic Model". I checked the VG settings and indeed the cut sections are greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Message 13 of 15
parveen.revit

try following these steps:

• Edit the current in-family (Furniture System).
  • In edit mode, select all geometries (solids and voids) in the inplace family
  • Copy these elements, Now finish/close this family
  • Create a New in-place family with Casework category and provide accurate name to this new family
  • Now use Paste commnad
  • If you have any voids in the family, you have to cut the geometries again using Cut Geometry tool
  • Finish and now you can delete the old family (furniture system)

I hope this should resolve the issue and your new family should look fine in section view.

Let us know the feedback.

Message 14 of 15

Hi!

I have almost the same problem. I have created a family as generic model and before saving and charging it in to the project I have transformed it in a window family.

When in the project, my window family can't be cut by the plane view but as soon as I recharge it as a generic model it works fine and it gets cut by the plane view.

Here is the family I am using

Does anyone as any idea how can I get it to get cut by the plane view when it is charged as a window model?

Message 15 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: 0678634862

@0678634862

Your family is not an in-place family.  I would create a new topic to avoid confusion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report