Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Formula using Text

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
spm5
1787 Views, 11 Replies

Schedule Formula using Text

Hello,

I have a View schedule. In the schedule there is a field called Sheet Number it contains the sheet number for views that are on sheets and is blank for the views that are not on sheets. I am trying to add another field called View Type that will either say SHEET or WORK. I try using a text calculated value with the forumla IF (Sheet Number, "SHEET", "WORK") in the idea that if Sheet Number exists then use SHEET if not use WORK, but I get an inconsistant units error for this. I also tried using a yes/no parameter but I cant think of how to forumlate an equasion that says if Sheet Number is not blank.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobertAGlover
in reply to: spm5

Possible that there is no definition for "Sheet Number". That is to say, that you are just asking if it existing, which technically the parameter does, it's just empty. Perhaps try if(Sheet Number>0,"SHEET","WORK") ?

I'm trying to find my own solution to a similar issue of adding specific text plus the result of a formula. If I wasn't so tied up, I'd try the solution myself. Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 3 of 12

The "Sheet Number" parameter is not a number but text. And, Revit doesn't allow text value to be the condition for an IF formula.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 12

Revit does not allow Text Parameters or strings to be used in conditional statements.  using < or > will return an error.  

Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional

remember to 'accept as solution' if this helped
Message 5 of 12

Is there a reason for dragging up posts from 2009?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 6 of 12

This was drudged up because I was looking for something similar and thought other users might appreciate knowing, I know I would.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 7 of 12

umm, okay... I'm not seeing a solution though, just more confusion and the OP hasn't visited the site since 2014...

If you have a specific problem you are currently trying to solve it might be better in a new thread with the problem clearly outlined and then others could assist you directly using the latest tech updates, that might be more helpful all round perhaps?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 8 of 12

You're right, it was more confusing then helpful and no answer is available, but discussion has ensued and in "dragging up" this post I have learned something. I didn't realize that Revit didn't allow text to be the conditional statement. So maybe there isn't an answer to the original question at this time, but now when someone, such as myself, searches and finds this thread they will find additional discussion involving the issue and hopefully that will let them know there there isn't a solution and they will have to find another way to do what they want to do.

With regard to your question about me posting an answer, I have found a solution to my problem.

A better question to you Mr. Wilkinson, might be why are you posting on a board asking why someone is posting on a board? Wouldn't this whole thread since you asked that question have been better suited to a less public form of inquiry? If this post, and the previous three were all removed from this thread, I still believe that the remaining four would be helpful to other users, maybe not the initial user, but others. Consider this as well, perhaps the same user is still active on the board but now with a different company, and thus different login. There are plenty of reasons to respond to a thread with no answer regardless of age, but I see no reason in publicly requesting a reason WHY. Thank you.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 9 of 12

Sorry, my intention was not to offend.

A lot of the older threads are I think best left that way - they have passed their sell by date and often the question is no longer relevant.

I just think it would have been much more beneficial to post a new thread and allow the discussion to flow there.  Personally when searching forums I tend to look for the most recent postings as these are more likely to have answers relevant to the version I am using.  

In response to your question though I simply couldn't see the point in dragging up a thread from 7 years ago with a post that didn't provide an answer just more confusion.  The important thing though is you've learnt something and as you say maybe others will too so it's all good.  Smiley Wink

Maimonides
Message 10 of 12

Regardless of the age of the thread, the bottom line is that a text value cannot be used as a condition for an IF formula. I don't see what information has been added to this thread this week that can be considered different or new in regards to this topic.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 11 of 12

The information added, as you succinctly put it is "a text value cannot be used as a condition for an IF formula". It may have been obvious to you, but not to me, and perhaps not to others who may come across this post in a search.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 12 of 12

Ah, now I see your point. Got it. Thanks. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report