Revit Architecture

dcaimbeul
Message 11 of 17 (183 Views)

Re: Schedule Color Schemes

04-24-2012 08:44 AM in reply to: IMCornish

In the United States, color copies are substantially more expensive, especially in large format.  The prime contractor will make black and white copies (not even greyscale) for their subs.  Ocassionally I have seen them print greyscale from PDF.  I have never seen a construction set of documents or specs printed in color in my 17 years.  

I agree with you though.  Color shows a great deal of information.  I have seen large scale elevations printed in color on the walls of the field offices.  And I have seen project schedules-timelines-critical paths in color.

The work around seems like a great idea.  Perhaps the color image is an additional submittal outside of the contstruction set?

Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 12 of 17 (174 Views)

04-24-2012 09:55 AM in reply to: dcaimbeul

Paper prints, colour or otherwise, I would bet are even more expensive in the UK.  However, in the interests of progress most good contractors have now embraced the digital revolution and wherever I can we will email construction drawings to site where even small contractors have laptops/Pcs and colour printers.  The UK Planning System also works through an Internet Portal and whilst I have subsequently seen our drawings printed out in black and white it is gratifying that they are also getting the colour message and see such a submission as having more quality to it.  Conversely however I have had Planning officials phoning to say that they can't understand a drawing and when asked why we find that they have printed it out in B&W!  It is also worth saying that we have a note on our documents saying 'do not print unless absolutelly necessary', sadly however, our recipients are either not on, or unable to follow, our sustainable lead.

To conclude, with the advent of more and powerful mobile devices (many coming from the US), to my mind gives me more hope that the future will be paperless but very colouful.  Often wonder if Van Gogh would have bothered with paint and canvas if he had lived today?  Not easy to hang in a gallery though.:manvery-happy: 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
dcaimbeul
Message 13 of 17 (171 Views)

04-24-2012 10:00 AM in reply to: IMCornish

Oh!  You bet.  Building Information Modeling and Construction Management personnel with field tablets (iPad, etc) are becoming standard.  

Valued Contributor
heterarch
Message 14 of 17 (129 Views)

01-08-2013 10:26 AM in reply to: IMCornish

This is a great thread, in terms of an important wish list item for Revit...  Since there haven't been any new replies to it in almost a year, I assume no one has heard of ADesk planning on implementing/tacking this?  It seems that among the many wish list items out there, this one should be a pretty quick slam dunk, from a software coding standpoint.. 

While I think we're still many years from being truly and totally paperless in the construction industry, there is certainly enough momentum towards paperless technology to justify more consistent use of color in Con Docs.  The headscratcher is that so many aspects of Revit are well thought out in terms of color usage, but not schedules - which are where the best "information" graphical display is possible.  You know, B-I-M..?

marc
Message 15 of 17 (115 Views)

01-11-2013 08:56 AM in reply to: IMCornish

Times are changing. Color output on paper is becoming cost effective.

I recently saw a complete set of construction documents done by Adamson Associates of Toronto, printed by Astley Gilbert Reproductions. The results were spectacular.

Mike Jarosz AIA

Ricci Greene Associates

michael@riccigreene.com

Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 16 of 17 (103 Views)

01-14-2013 08:50 AM in reply to: heterarch

As the originator of the thread I am pleased that my thoughts are apreciated. A little kudos migh reinforce the message to Autodesk, don't you think? (Only kidding)

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 17 of 17 (101 Views)

01-14-2013 08:52 AM in reply to: marc

Glad to see some are getting the message. I sometimes wonder if there is a gulf between the world of software developers and the end users, particularly in the CAD/BIM arena?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.