Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale a DWG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
russ.green
2206 Views, 7 Replies

Scale a DWG

Are there any neat tricks to scaling a DWG inside a block with parameters?  I would love to assing a scale factor parameter to Instance Scale but as I can't I'm looking for a workaround.   I have a some 2D elevation trees that I want in my 3D tree block and aI just want to control the height.  The problem is that if I explode the DWG in a family everything just disapears so I'm suffed.

Russ Green
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: russ.green

It is possible, but...

scale_factor.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
russ.green
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yeah I got that but it doesn't work in the project.  Basically I'm making a tree and want my 2d CAD tree to show in certain views but I want it to scale.  The tree family has an instance parameter for height so I can use that to calculate a scale factor for the DWG but once the family is loaded into a project this scale factor parameter is ignored.

I've also tried making an extrusion from the tree outline. but I can't figure out how to scale the size of the entire tree using a parameter..

This is the kind of shape I'm dealing with......

Capture.PNG

Russ Green
Message 4 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Use the scale factor parameter to obtain different versions of the dwg in the family editor, and make a new family for each size, using the scaled .dwg as a guide. Then, erase the .dwg.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8
russ.green

Not sure that will give me what I'm looking for....what about scaling complex sketch lines like this.

Capture1.PNG

Russ Green
Message 6 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Any sketch can be scaled with the scale tool, by a numeric factor. Finish, save as, ... scale the sketch again,... finish, save as... etc.

Message 7 of 8
russ.green

Yes but I want to drive the scale with a paramter in the family....

Russ Green
Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

There is no quick three dimensional scale tool in Revit, unless you control x, y, and z by length parameters. Not possible for an irregular shape like this; you could use types. That's why in Revit it is not possible to scale a toilet, you need to have types of toilets. In this case, you need to have types of trees.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report