Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Revit Back To A Previous Version

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
DavidRaines
10380 Views, 25 Replies

Saving Revit Back To A Previous Version

What is the real reason Autodesk will not permit Revit to be saved back to a previous version, say at least 1 year. Updating does not occur simultaneously at once therefor us using a newer version must go back to using a earlier version until our consultants are able to upgrade. It doesn't make any sense. I can still save back to an earlier version of AutoCAD. Why not be a little more user friendly.

Thanks
David Edited by: DavidRaines on Jun 3, 2010 8:52 PM
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: DavidRaines

On 6/3/2010 1:53 PM, DavidRaines wrote:
> What is the real reason Autodesk will not permit Revit to be saved back to a previous version, say at least 1 year. Updating does not occur simultaneously at once therefor us using a newer version must go back to using a earlier version until our consultants are able to upgrade. It doesn't make any sense. I can still save back to an earlier version of AutoCAD. Why not be a little more user friendly.
>
> Thanks
> David
>
> Edited by: DavidRaines on Jun 3, 2010 8:52 PM

because the model will be tainted if it could be opened in earlier
versions. It would lose any content that could only be created with the
latest version which would defeat the purpose of the software. I didn't
understand this originally either and it sort of PO'd me but now that
I've been using Revit for a bit and see what 2011 does that 2009 and
2010 didn't I can see why someone can't use my 2011 models. There's a
free 30 day trial download of 2011 that can be installed if it's a big
problem for someone. Revit isn't like AutoCAD where you can stay with
R14 and be OK. Gotta get on the upgrade trail with this software. Not
Autodesks fault in this case IMO
--
Dave - DDP
Acad 2011 and Revit 2011
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Intel I7-860 @2.8GHz
12GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX260
Message 3 of 26
DavidRaines
in reply to: Anonymous

It all makes sense now. thanks

Message 4 of 26
MaxFX

That answer isn't satisfactory.  All new software contains new 'features' that the previous version didn't have.  Revit's content isn't new per version.

Message 5 of 26
mbuonocore
in reply to: MaxFX

Does Archicad or other BIM type softwares allow save down to previous versions?  We all know what the real reason is.

Message 6 of 26
opesch_
in reply to: mbuonocore

They should at least let us use an "export to previous version" tool and let us choose to update OR NOT an existing file where we will do only some basic changes !

I'm the only one to work on Revit 2011 and Civil 3D 2011 in my company ! everybody else is on Acad with different Releases licenses (from LT2000 to 2011)

So when I make something in Civil that I've to give to someone else, I HAVE to export it from civil to ACAD otherwise they will only see a dumby empty dwg

When I'm in Revit 2011 I can't event export my 2011 rvt to a dumber 2010 rvt with some massing elements or open a subcontractor's RVT2010 file, move some walls, without converting it to 2011and making it unopenable for them... that's realy silly IMHO !

Message 7 of 26
gduncan1974
in reply to: opesch_

At least the latest version should be able to open, edit, and save back a project created in a previous version.  So now if consultant A has Revit 2008, consultant B has Revit 2009, and consultant C has Revit 2010, they can't work together at all?  OK, they could all upgrade to 2011, but then they would lose the ability to work with anyone who uses a previous version.  What's the solution, besides having a license for every release?

Message 8 of 26
loboarch
in reply to: gduncan1974

@gduncan1974 wrote:

What's the solution, besides having a license for every release?

Subscription allows you to keep and run older versions of the software.  Up to 3 years older.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 26
ljhudson

What about template files can you share them across different versions, or do you have to create dupicates of each on for each version?

Message 10 of 26
ljhudson

Also, If a project was created on a different version, what happens?

Does the file get corrupted or does it not even open up?

Message 11 of 26
loboarch
in reply to: ljhudson

Templates and project will be promoted to the newer version if you open them in a newer version of Revit.  If you save after that they will be in the version they promoted to.  They can't go back.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 12 of 26
Elmo

As far I understand the main reason why you can't save backwards is more to do with the fact that the program is a database program. Historically database programs have issues with backwards compatibality. If you look at ACT from Sage it also doesn't allow for backwards compatibility. I don't know the full reason but I believe that since the coding is so heavy it usually crashes because the code from the newer version can't match with the code from the older version.

Message 13 of 26
derrickmoore
in reply to: Elmo

Microsoft Access is a database program and it saves 2 versions back

Message 14 of 26
DavidRaines
in reply to: loboarch

Thank You for your response.

David

Message 15 of 26
Elmo

Microsoft access is a very basic form of database coding. Even the guys that do heaving coding inside of it, don't really want to go backwards because it can get screwed.

Btw I find that you trying to compare Microsoft acces to Revit's coding very laughable.

Message 16 of 26
ljhudson

So how would some one deal with not opening a revit file in a different version?

example of why I ask. is  you  structure your project folders with Drawings section and a documentation (project admin stuff)

verses  structuring you jobs by what program you are using.

Not sure If I explained it correctly, but I am sure someone has came arcoss this

Message 17 of 26
paul.ashley

Here's a major problem with this entire backwards compatibiltiy issue.  Revit also can have problems opening much older versions in new versions.  

I found an example Revit file on an old Autodesk Revit "gallery" page.  It's a completly documented library project.  I downloaded it but after several error messages, it won't open.

My concern is how this affects archiving of Revit projects.  I have ten-year-old AutoCAD R13 files that I can open.  Some must be recovered but they nevertheless do open.

Since Revit upgrades do not support backwards compatibility it seems they may also not always support forwards compatibility.  If an inability to open an old Revit file is a common thing, this has huge implications for Revit's use for facilities management and historical record-keeping.  Has Autodesk considered how this issue can be resolved?  Are we supposed to upgrade all drawings of active and inactive files with every new version of Reivt?

Message 18 of 26
loboarch
in reply to: paul.ashley

paul.ashley wrote:

Here's a major problem with this entire backwards compatibiltiy issue.  Revit also can have problems opening much older versions in new versions.  

I found an example Revit file on an old Autodesk Revit "gallery" page.  It's a completly documented library project.  I downloaded it but after several error messages, it won't open.

My concern is how this affects archiving of Revit projects.  I have ten-year-old AutoCAD R13 files that I can open.  Some must be recovered but they nevertheless do open.

Since Revit upgrades do not support backwards compatibility it seems they may also not always support forwards compatibility.  If an inability to open an old Revit file is a common thing, this has huge implications for Revit's use for facilities management and historical record-keeping.  Has Autodesk considered how this issue can be resolved?  Are we supposed to upgrade all drawings of active and inactive files with every new version of Reivt?

See my reply to your other post in relation to this issue.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Opening-Old-Revit-Files-Effect-on-Archivin...

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 19 of 26
squid44th

What I don't like about not be backward compatable, is that you have to keep multiple versions of Revit on your machine.  As of now, I have 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 all on my machine, I also only have AutoCAD 2012.  those 4 versions of revit take up a lot of space on my drive.

Message 20 of 26
mbuonocore

Jeff,

Our school is using Revit 2010 and 2011. We are on subscription.  How can I save back from 2011 to 2010.

Subscription allows a 3 year save back right?  Thanks.  File-Save As doesn't give me options to save to a previous version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report