Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same annotation on different sheets

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thomas4611
5072 Views, 5 Replies

same annotation on different sheets

Hello,

If you have a large project and many outside walls have large sections that are the same can you create exterior dimensions on a number of different levels that are tied together. In other words they are the same annotation done once for all those levels without cutting and pasting or doing the same dimensioning on the different levels, which is very error prone and the chances of different dimsions showing on different levels that are supposed to be the same is very large.

I am thinking of something like bing able to x-ref the dimensions like you can do in autocad. Is anything like this posssible in Revit?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: thomas4611

Short answer: No, dimensions are view-specific, and can only exist in one view at a time (except in the case of dependent views, but that wouldn't work for your scenario.

Long answer: There's no need for some kind of multi-view dimension, because in Revit you model the building as it will be built.  As long as you model the building the way it's going to be built, your dimensions will be accurate, regardless of where you cut the wall sections.  You can't fudge your dimensions in Revit like you can in CAD.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 6
thomas4611

Thank you,

That is great news as far as accuracy goes but the fact that you need to repeat the same work many times or use copy paste every time there is a dimension change is a big negative.

Message 4 of 6
rosskirby

You don't have to redo the dimensions every time something changes.  The dimensions are tied directly to the objects being dimensions, and will update automatically.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
aghis_no

I see 3 different aspects in your request:

1. How do you avoid recreating annotations (and view specific elements) at each view.

For instance you have a floor plan 1/100 annotated and you want to have the same annotation on a plan of the same floor in a different scale without having to create all the annotation all over again.

This can be achieved by coping annotations and pasting them "aligned to the view you wish". How: Just copy the annotations (texts, dimension etc.) and then use the paste button on the ribbon by choosing "paste aligned to selected views" and picking the views you wish on a list.

The main disadvantage is that when you change an annotation on a view (ex. The style of a dimension or the content of a text) and you wish the change to be reflected to all the other views you will have to paste it again to all of them.

2. How to synchronize model dependent annotations between views; this is not possible.

However you have a rather complex workaround. You can create a sacrificial view and annotate it. Then you turn off all the model objects and keep only the annotations. Then you will have to "duplicate as dependent" the view to create as many sacrificial views as you want, that you will overlay on the real views on a sheet (this is because a view can only be placed on one sheet). Any change on the main sacrificial view will be reflected to the dependent sacrificial views. However, this is a complex risky and rather confusing method because you will end up multiplying the views and you will loose control.

3. How to synchronize model independent annotations between views; possible using "legend views".

Just create a legend view independent annotations (texts, lines etc) and overlay the legend view on the views on the sheet. The advantage of the legend view is that it is the only type of view that can be placed on multiple sheets.

Message 6 of 6
jstodgel13
in reply to: rosskirby

Hey!  just wanted to follow up on this topic!  I am trying to have the wall sections and building sections be repeating elements on all of my plan sheets, and when I copy and paste the wall sections for instance, they come in with long middle line between the head and tail, unlike the shortened version on my previous view that I am copying from?

I am trying to copy all my building sections and wall sections to multiple sheets and have them populate in the same places without having to edit each sheet individually.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report