Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVT Linking and Worksharing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tconley79
190 Views, 2 Replies

RVT Linking and Worksharing

Hi All,

I'm starting work on a 20-story condo tower and an Autodesk advisor suggested we break the project into RVT links (e.g., structure, shell, site, interior)...

What I'm unclear on is how to link the files. When we create files for each portion of the building and then want to merge the files into one (for publishing/viewing) should we link the central files or the locals...or both??

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: tconley79

It is not recommended that you break a single building into multiple linked
projects.

Are you sure the Autodesk "advisor" wasn't talking about worksets?

--

Matt Dillon
Autodesk Architectural Desktop Certified Expert

View my ADT Blog "Breaking Down the Walls" at
http://www.modocrmadt.blogspot.com

wrote in message news:5439297@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi All,

I'm starting work on a 20-story condo tower and an Autodesk advisor
suggested we break the project into RVT links (e.g., structure, shell, site,
interior)...

What I'm unclear on is how to link the files. When we create files for each
portion of the building and then want to merge the files into one (for
publishing/viewing) should we link the central files or the locals...or
both??

Thanks
Message 3 of 3
Steve_Stafford
in reply to: tconley79

Worksharing/worksets would the logical first step. Assuming that's been done already...

There are instances where linking separate project files to make a whole might be viable and recommended. It is not the defacto plan of action however at all and it is preferable to try to keep a project together in a single file. Then, only if performance suggests otherwise, do so.

If using linking is really necessary, you should link the central files into the master project file.

Not to second guess the Autodesk Consulting person (might have been me *-) ), you may wish to first create separate site and structure models while keeping interiors together with the building project. If your structural consultant is using Revit Structure this would dictate separating them anyway.

Site is a natural for separaton because it makes it much easier to manage site positioning when you use shared positioning/coordinates.

I say interiors should be separated as a last resort because the interior's elements will benefit from the integrated relationship they have by being inside rooms for scheduling. Any interior architecture design will also be better able to interact with the rest of the building.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report