Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPC CONTENT TO SHOW IN: (HIDDEN LINE/CONSISTENT COLORS) MODEL DISPLAY STYLES

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
csavopoulos
3643 Views, 3 Replies

RPC CONTENT TO SHOW IN: (HIDDEN LINE/CONSISTENT COLORS) MODEL DISPLAY STYLES

Hello:

Does anyone have a creative solution to make RPC content from Entourage/Planting to show up in non-realistic model display style views such as (Hidden Line & Consistent Colors)? I honestly do not like realistic setting even after playing with all of the lighting settings/photographic exposure values.

'Realistic' model display style is very troublesome because it does not use the same surface pattern settings, and it is very difficult to get rgb values to show similar to consistent color style due to lighting in elevation & 3D views. Plus, it is an EXTREME hassle to deal with the material settings/dependencies, and the performance is sluggish compared to all other model display styles. Overall, realistic style views are annoying, however, sometimes they have benefits.

The main reason this has became a priority to me. I just learned you can create your own custom RPC content via Archvision software Dashboard Beta (RPC Creator). I am planning on purchasing it once I get a few more things resolved. However, it is extremely easy now to create your own content... such as transparent watercolor style trees & people I always use in photoshop for presentations!

You just reduce layer transparency via photopshop and save image as png. Then you drag image into Archvision application and it will automatically create content, including outline cutout that shows up in hidden line views!

Link:

https://www.archvision.com/dashboard/rpccreator

In the past, I have been using this time consuming I came up with shown below:

One alternative I have setup before was to export three versions of the same elevation by temporarily using view templates and overlay them together in photoshop (as smart objects so I can automatically reload changes). 

• Export 1 (Optional)  - (Consistent Color) - No Shadows. No Entourage/Planting. This will be used as your first layer (temporary) in photoshop set as normal. Used purely as a temporary color selector/wand tool for setting up your masks for any additional effects such as storefront images. Therefore, once you are done with masking (mask applied to groups, not layer) turn off this layer/smart object.

• Export 2 - (Realistic) Override all lines/surface patterns under 'Projection/Surface' in Visibility/Graphics to solid white except Entourage/Planting. No Shadows. This will be second layer (overlay) in photoshop set as multiply. White surfaces of building will not effect main colors.

• Export 3 - (Consistent Color) Turn on shadows to your liking. No Entourage/Planting. This will be used as your third layer (main) in photoshop set as normal.

*Note: Folder structure in photoshop is very important in order for advanced PSD to operate efficiently.

I would really like to see if anyone has ideas or knowledge about any upcoming development related to this. Would be nice to see Revit in the future to allow Entourage/Planting/Decal RPC content to be shown via view settings regardless of what model display style setting you are using.

Respectfully,

Corbin Savopoulos

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hello Corbin.  I just saw your post and thought I'd let you know about some of the new things we're working on at ArchVision.  From your description I think you'll find it interesting.

We're working on an internal project we call "Ghost".  The goal is to give you an interface within Revit that you can use to create stylized entourage from any RPC content.  You will have the ability to create silhouettes of any content by adjusting the color and/or transparency of the RPCs in the scene.

Your comments about how nice it would be to control all of this via the view settings is interesting to us as we've been contemplating the best way to let users save "styles" that could then be applied to scenes easily as well as let you control changing the visual style easily within the same model.  We think this could be a valuable way to let you change styles as a project progresses from early schematics to fully detailed renderings.

You may also find the new Viewport feature we've recently integrated into Dashboard useful for your work in Photoshop.  Viewport for Dashboard provides a new viewing mode for all RPCs within Dashboard and lets you then drag & drop a rendered view directly into Photoshop (CS5 & above) without the need for the Photoshop Viewport plug-in.  We think you'll find it to be a much better workflow for using RPCs in Photoshop.  You can find the new Dashboard w/ Viewport at https://archvision.com/dashboard/viewport.

We'd love to hear from you or anyone following this blog about the ways you'd like to be able to control these style settings.  We've been contemplating being able to slave these setting to things like the Detail Levels (Course, Medium, Fine) but if there are other ways you think would be helpful we'd love to hear them.  You can send me an email at rstevens (at) archvision.com or feel free to post your ideas here.  We'll continue to monitor this thread for input.

Thanks,

Randall Stevens

ArchVision

Message 3 of 4
mattendler
in reply to: csavopoulos

What Randall said is nice, but it doesn't really address Corbin's issue. With architectural visualizations we would like to have the flexibility to be as simple or as rendered as we'd like, and currently we have to forfeit our desires for proper and consistent color with the need to use raster images within presentations. The RPC Visibility should not be linked to any graphical display option whatsoever, it should be its own switch that we can turn on and off as we please. This is a Revit factory issue that no plug-in could possibly solve.
Message 4 of 4
nvanvliet
in reply to: csavopoulos

Has this issue been addressed in newer versions of Revit? I am new to Revit 2020 and am having the same issue. I would like to show my 3-d views in consistent colors for the buildings but want to see the planting as realistic.

Thanks,

Nicole

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report