Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 1 of 15 (2,471 Views)
Accepted Solution

Rotation in Any Axis

2471 Views, 14 Replies
02-23-2012 09:25 AM

Is it possible to create a family that can be loaded in on any view, and rotated in any direction?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:

Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

That would be cool :smileyhappy: and much appreciated!

As promised, I have written a blog article about rotation in 3 different axis:

http://planta1.com/forum/entry.php?12-Rotating-a-Revit-model-family-in-3-different-axis-by-parameters

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 15 (2,457 Views)

Re: Rotation in Any Axis

02-23-2012 01:17 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Using multiple levels of nested families, it is possible to make an object rotate in 3 planes: x/y(plan view), y/z (righ/left views), and x/z (front/back views).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 3 of 15 (2,446 Views)

02-24-2012 05:16 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Do you know of a step-by-step tutorial on this?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 15 (2,409 Views)

02-25-2012 04:36 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

Do you know of a step-by-step tutorial on this?

No, I have not seen a step-by-step tutorial about this, but I could write a blog article about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 5 of 15 (2,384 Views)

02-27-2012 09:07 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 15 (2,356 Views)

03-15-2012 01:52 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

As promised, I have written a blog article about rotation in 3 different axis:

http://planta1.com/forum/entry.php?12-Rotating-a-Revit-model-family-in-3-different-axis-by-parameter...

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 7 of 15 (2,333 Views)

03-16-2012 09:34 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Much obliged :smileyhappy:

jcl4439
Message 8 of 15 (1,695 Views)

05-05-2013 10:03 AM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Ridiculous, I simply want to align a modeled in place component (a turnbuckle) with a cable coming from some other turnbuckle at a different height. That blog post is ridiculous.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 15 (1,684 Views)

05-05-2013 11:38 AM in reply to: jcl4439

No, it is not. That article describes a case in which you need 3 rotations simultaneously and control those rotations by parameter. There is another article about rotating elements in generic adaptive families by points. If you just need to align an object to another, without parameters, probably that article does not apply to your particular needs.

*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 10 of 15 (1,673 Views)

05-05-2013 06:55 PM in reply to: jcl4439

If you're modeling something in place, why would you need to rotate it?  Why not just model it in the correct orientation in the first place?

For your given situation, though, why would it need to be rotated in more than one plane?  I assume you have two turnbuckles, one at either end of an angled tension rod, correct? Wouldn't it only need to be rotated in the XY plan (when viewed in elevation)?

What was explained in the blog post was a method for creating a family that can rotate in multiple planes.  While it's somewhat complex, especially if you're unfamiliar with the way Revit works, it's certainly not a "ridiculous" solution.  And if you want constructive feedback, I'd recommend a less antagonistic approach.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!