Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating Model for Project North

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
thaner9
793 Views, 2 Replies

Rotating Model for Project North

I created a project with multiple linked Revit files in it and I'd like to rotate the models in their own files to be "North/South". I understand choosing between True North and Project North, but I can't tell which I'm supposed to rotate because when I rotate the actual model and bring it into the host file, it's not accurate. Am I to bring it in to the host and then rotate and move it into position and then publish the coordinates? I have tried that, but then when I go back to the linked file and import a AutoCAD background drawing by it's origin's, it doesn't line up.

Is there a tutorial online somewhere that describes the process for rotating a linked project file in its own file to be North/South and then import it to the host file and establish (publish) coordinates so everything works? Do I just need to re-export to AutoCAD to modify the origin point for the DWG file?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
thaner9
in reply to: thaner9

I don't think I fully explained what I currently have so I'll try to here...

I built the whole project in the host file, utilizing a civil DWG to orient multiple buildings according to the site plan design/orientations. I then cut/pasted the different buildings to their own linkable RVT files. I need to rotate the linked models in their own file to have a North/South Project North, but have their current position saved for True North. I realize I should have started with the Linked models in their own separate file with a North/South, Project North orientation, but I didn't. So, I guess I'm asking what's the right strategy to "work backwards"?

Do I open the Linked file and rotate all the objects (walls, windows, doors, floors, etc) to be North/South for Project North, then rotate the True North in that file? Upon doing that, do I then link to the host file, move/rotate it into position and then publish the coordinates? That would make sense, but it seems to screw up all the DWG files I've used to create the entire project.

Hope that makes things clearer...

Message 3 of 3
thaner9
in reply to: thaner9

I don't know that this is the right way to do it, but I think I've figured it out...I didn't rotate objects themselves in the linked file, I just chose a reference plane that would work for Project North and it "rotated" the linked project in it's own file. I had already published coordinates before so when I went back to the Host file and linked the building using those previously created shared coordinates, it located it properly.

Once again, I'm not sure that's conceptually what Revit had in mind, but it seems to work if you did things "backwards" like I did.

I'd still like to hear any advice from anyone that has done something simliar or just knows what I should or should have done.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report