Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Work-Plane Based Component (Cabinet Hardware)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wkohn
3023 Views, 4 Replies

Rotate Work-Plane Based Component (Cabinet Hardware)

Hello all,

I'm currently building our casework families (we have our own woodshop here) and cannot for the life of me figure out how to insert cabinet harware and rotate it to the correct orientation.  I can make a simple wire pull easy enough and insert it where I need in my casework family.  The problem is when I want it to be vertical versus horizontal I get an error saying it can't be rotated.  This seems simple enough to do, I don't actually have to make separate horiztonal and vertical cabinet pull families do I?  Some help would be greatly appreciated.

~Wes~Revit - Rotate Component.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: wkohn

You can try using the space bar to rotate the element as you place it into the project.  You can also try unchecking the constrain box on the options bar after placement.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 5
wkohn

Maybe I should be a bit clearer.

It rotates just fine in plan view, but trying to rotate it in my Front Elevation view appears impossible.  Maybe it has to do with how exactly I set up the handle in the first place?  Is there someway I can tell it to rotate based around the elevational work plane and not the plan view work plane?

After some fiddling around, I found that with both work plane based and always vertical selected it will at least show up on the right work plane in the right orientation.  But still no way to rotate.

I attached the file for anyone willing to insert it and see what it is that I've done wrong.

Message 4 of 5
loboarch

Revit is a workplane based modeler.  I think the problem you are having with your family is you are attempting to rotate it out of the plane it was created in.  It does not like that.

I created a pull family like yours but I created it as a face based family.  This one will attach to any face and can then be freely rotated on that plane once it is placed.  You can use the space bar to rotate it as you place as well ;ike i mentioned before.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 5
wkohn

Perfect!  So if I want to rotate something in relation to a specific view I have to use a face-based family and then model the portion I'll want to rotate around that view.  Makes sense.  That's easy enough, I was looking all over for ways to switch the work plane, but as I've come to realize that's just not possible.

Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report