Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotate the entire project

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
diesellam
35272 Views, 50 Replies

rotate the entire project

I was trying to rotate the entire model to align with the grid of another building.

I need to do that in order to export to Navisworks easily without any adjustment.

After I select the entire model in 3d view, and going back to the plan view, the rotate tool is ghosted.  What's the reason of it?

See attached file.

50 REPLIES 50
Message 2 of 51
ryan.duell
in reply to: diesellam

Typically you cannot rotate all of the elements at the same time in this manner due to constraints between hosts, other elements, etc.

On approach which may work for you, depending on the complexity of the model is as follows:

1.  Open the 3D View, ensure all elements you wish to rotate are visible, select everything that you wish to rotate, click Create Group.

2.  Navigate back to floor plan view, select group, start Rotate tool.

3.  Rotate group as needed, then ungroup when complete.

Please keep in mind view specific detail elements or views may need to be manually selected afterward since they are not included in the 3D selection.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 51
veysveys
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thank you very much.Thats what i was looking for.

Message 4 of 51
Anonymous

Hi,

Mr. Ryan has stated absolutely right process to rotate the whole model.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 5 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually, if you went under the manage tab in Revit.. select position. You can rotate your entire model easily.
Message 6 of 51
Vincent1967

hello, everytime I try to totate an MEP model I get a list of errors stating that elements need to be disconnected, these range from duct elebows to pipe valves and access panels in ceiling. When I then disconnect these elements it still won't work. I have also placed all of the entities into a group and that makes no difference. Is there not a simple way to do this? I cannot change the angle in the project base point because this affects the rotation of my linked model of my building (whether it is loaded or reloaded after the rotation)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

Message 7 of 51
chrisplyler
in reply to: Vincent1967

Unload the linked-in architectural project file from your MEP project file. Save and close your MEP project file. Open the architectural project file and link your MEP project file into it using the Manual - Center positioning option and place it somewhere near the architectural building. Rotate/move it into the appropriate position to correspond correctly with the architectural building. Share/Publish the coordinates back to your MEP project file. Finally, close the architectural project file without saving so that the changes you've made don't stick.

When you send your MEP project file to the Architect, inform him to link it into his model via the Auto - Shared Coordinates positioning option. He should see it pop into the correct rotation/position.

Back in your MEP project file, re-load the architectural link. Instead of rotating/moving your model to match it, rotate/move the link to match your model. Now you can keep working in your MEP model without having rotated it and suffered all the consequences, and the Architect gets your MEP model that pops into the right place/orientation when he links it into his model.

Message 8 of 51
Vincent1967
in reply to: chrisplyler

thankyou Chris, that is very helpful, I had many responses on deifferent forums saying to try this and that, buit no-one gave a concise explanation of how to do it. This makes sense.

thankyou. Vince

Message 9 of 51
chrisplyler
in reply to: Vincent1967

I'm glad to help when I can.

Message 10 of 51
Anonymous

Hi,
But this method only works for one Plan vue at the time, not the entire projet?
Message 11 of 51
Keith_Wilkinson

No, that will work for the entire project.  It's worth going and reading about Shared coordinates - once you understand them they will make your life much easier when dealing with the orientation of your building.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 12 of 51
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Thank you, I'll look into it.

[cid:image001.jpg@01D1C0AC.B0FE0380]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D1C0AC.B0FE0380]

420, boul. Maloney Est, bureau 201
Gatineau QC J8P 1E7
CANADA
Tél. bur.: 819-663-9294 poste 6459 / Téléc. : 819-663-0084

Devez-vous vraiment imprimer ce courriel? Pensons à l'environnement!

AVERTISSEMENT CONCERNANT LA CONFIDENTIALITÉ Ce message est confidentiel. S'il ne vous est pas destiné, veuillez en informer l'émetteur immédiatement et le détruire intégralement.

I work on restaurants. We are coping one for a new location. The building is rotated and mirrored. I can mirror my file no problem but when I rotate it my panels get deleted. All my other electrical devices stay.

Any help on why the panels are being deleted?

Message 14 of 51
Keith_Wilkinson

are you rotating by physically selecting objects and rotating or are you simply changing project north?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 15 of 51
Anonymous

Did you go under the Manage tab, then click on Position?
Message 16 of 51
Anonymous

Yes I did. Mood point now because I had to get started on the job. Thanks

Aeron M. Finke
Electrical Designer
The Roberts Group
239 Southland Drive Suite-C
Lexington, KY 40503
Ph. (859) 276-2006
Fax: (859) 276-2901
Message 17 of 51
Keith_Wilkinson

Eh? You only asked yesterday, you got 2 questions trying to clarify what you had done and now it's too late?

Sheesh, just no pleasing some people! 😉

Maimonides
Message 18 of 51
sally

Thanks nguyenctt - this worked beautifully for us.

Message 19 of 51
JGuptill
in reply to: sally

I am not seeing this method work if the Architect literally wishes to see all of the plan views on the sheets orientated the same direction (I imagine the architectural plans facing up, North, and the MEP/Structural plan set facing down, South, with a North arrow pointed South)

It's a great method but I did not have the option to import Manually in Revit 2018. So I had to try and improvise.

I already had shared coordinates set up between the Architect and Structure from the beginning so here is what I did:

1) Completely removed the Arch model from our structural model. Yes, I realize you will have to reset your views project-wide if they are custom. Sorry 😞

2) Imported the most recent, project-rotated, model with the "Auto - Using Shared Coordinates" option. This brought in their model in the same orientation and in the same place as our model.

3) I was able to rotate Project North using the Project Location - Position tab by 180 degrees. This put my drawings in the same orientation as the architect wanted to see in the plan sets. 

4) I reopened the Architectural model and I was able to simply import my model back into the Architectural model using the "Auto - Using Shared Coordinates" option, and, *presto* our structural model came in in the EXACT same location/orientation as the Architectural model.

Maybe this method can help someone out as well.

Cheers!

Message 20 of 51
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: JGuptill

Sorry, bit confused here, are you suggesting that on a project the MEP and Structural Engineers are using a different Project North from the Architects?

Maimonides

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report