Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate error: "Can't rotate element into this position."

86 REPLIES 86
SOLVED
Message 1 of 87
jonmcfarlandGY
126203 Views, 86 Replies

Rotate error: "Can't rotate element into this position."

I have a simple family comprised of an extruded angle shape.

While I can rotate this freely in the family editor, when I try to rotate it in the project I get a "Can't rotate element into this position." error in Revit 2011.

I have many other similar families that don't have this restriction and this was built from one of those.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon

Please select "Accept as Solution" if your question was answered
86 REPLIES 86
Message 41 of 87
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

Speaker family: http://1drv.ms/1KWCf1C

Message 42 of 87
ckasefang
in reply to: chrisplyler

This is on the mark.

Thank you for chasing this.

Curtis
Sent from the road

Curtis Kasefang
Theatre Consultants Collaborative, Inc.

519 Polk Street
Raleigh, NC 27604
T 919.929.7443 x103
T 919.546.0288 direct
F 866.279.2937
E ckasefang@theatrecc.com
www.theatrecc.com
Message 43 of 87
chrisplyler
in reply to: ckasefang

No problem. It's a fun challenge. The extra up-front man hours required to learn how to do stuff in Revit will pay off in the future with production that Autocad just isn't going to do.

Meyer JM-P1 array:

JM-P1.gif

yeah-baby-.gif

Message 44 of 87
David125

The solution worked for me, but yeah, you'd think Autodesk could make this not so convoluted.

Message 45 of 87
Anonymous
in reply to: jonmcfarlandGY

HELLO ENG/Alfredo_Medina

I MAKE STEPS BUT this picture is shownpic1.png

Message 46 of 87
Alfredo_Medina

Hello, @Anonymous  Welcome to the forum.

You seem to be writing to me, but I don't know what you are referring to. Can you provide a link to the previous conversation that you are referring to? What steps are you talking about?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 47 of 87
ckasefang
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Not I.

Sent from my mobile

CURTIS KASEFANG

519 Polk Street USA (919) 546 0288

Raleigh, NC 27604 CAN (647) 556 6017 x 103

www.theatrecc.com
Message 48 of 87
Anonymous

THANK YOU FOR FAST RESPONSE

Can't rotate element into this position  THIS MESSAGE SHOW TO ME WHEN I MAKE THIS STEPS 

From the family editor: > Modify > Family Category and Parameters > check "Work plane based", uncheck "Always vertical".> Load into project. > Overwrite > Select the family > Pick New > face. It will allow rotation, too, from one of the axis. You can deal with rotation and/or new selecting a new face or wokrplane, to achieve the desired position.

I CAN NOT SEE Work plane based AND Always vertical  IN THIS FAMILY AS ATTACHED PICTUR

PIC.png

Message 49 of 87
Alfredo_Medina

Sorry, I don't know why you don't see those properties. I see them, as shown below, using the same category that you are using in your example.

2016-07-19_6-40-10.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 50 of 87
Anonymous

THANKS MR/ALFREDO MEDINA 

I WILL ATTACHED MY FAMILY YOU CAN SEE FAMILY CATEGORY 

Message 51 of 87
Alfredo_Medina

I don't know why this family that you posted does not have the "Work-Plane Based" and "Always vertical" parameters. It must have been started with another template. I notice that if I start a new family with the proper "Electrical Fixture" template, those parameters are there. 

I suggest that you do this: from the plan view of this family, select all the elements on the screen, and do Copy to clipboard. Start a new family with the Electrical Fixtures family, and do Paste > Aligned to current view. Now those parameters will be available. 

Message 52 of 87
Anonymous

To me the item seems to be locked with a pipe that needs a wall next to it, and that's why I cannot rotate it in the position I need to. Not only many hours, but I even not using the item. It's sad to have to solve this with Photoshop. 

Message 53 of 87
Anonymous
in reply to: jonmcfarlandGY

FOUND IT!

Check the item you want to rotate and click "Edit Work Plane", and chose "Pick an New Host" and chose the surface you want your item to adjust. 

Message 54 of 87
Anonymous

Hello  Alfredo,

I too am having an issue with the rotation of a family... however the solution to you posted does not help me in my situation. My issue is the following:

I am trying to angle my sprinkler head to be parallel with the roof to meet installation code requirements. When I try to rotate it, I get the message "Cannot rotate element into this position". What is baffling me is that within a different project I was able to rotate the same sprinkler family with no issue, but now within the current project I will not allow me too. I just cant think of anything that I may have done that would cause it to not be able to rotate now. Any suggestions? I really appreciate it!

Message 55 of 87
Alfredo_Medina

@Anonymous I don't think it is necessary to rotate a sprinkler head after placement. This family can be placed on face or on workplane. Therefore, if you want the sprinkler heads to be parallel to the slope of the roof, you could create a reference plane, name it, and then use that plane as the workplane to locate the sprinkler heads.

2017-02-04_16-45-35.png

Message 56 of 87
ToanDN

@Anonymous

Is the sprinkler you mentioned hosted by a face or a workplane when you placed it?

Message 57 of 87
Anonymous

mr medina;

when creating a mechanical family you can rotate freely with no parameter, etc. but when changing the family from mech to an electrical fixture. it looses the ability to rotate in elevation view. is there anyway to make an electrical fixture, that works as simple as a mech fixture. 

for reference: a conduit is an electrical fixture and it can be rotated freely. shouldn't an electrical box do the same?

Thanks

Message 58 of 87
Alfredo_Medina

I don´t know the answer to your questions. This would have been a good question for yesterday´s Answer Day when there were several Autodesk technical people answering questions here. We, the users can only deal with what we have. I wish that any element could be rotate easily, but... they don´t. I have seen the case that you mention, of a certain category that rotates easily, in any plane, though. I don´t know why that capability cannot be extended to all elements.

Message 59 of 87
Anonymous

I really appreciate you taking your time to answer my question. I have looked extensively related threads without a definitive answer... and the reason why I insiste on finding a way is because if I remember correctly the previous company I used to work for, had an electrical fixture family that we were able to rotate freely... o well.

again, thanks for your time

Message 60 of 87
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

...an electrical fixture family that we were able to rotate freely...

Could it be a workplane based electrical fixture, hosted on a vertical workplane? If so, it can rotate freely on the elevation parallel to that plane.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report