Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room Tag w/ additional Graphic

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ku_coyote
1022 Views, 9 Replies

Room Tag w/ additional Graphic

I have been doing searches on this for three days and haven't found what I am looking for.

I have rooms which I have added parameters for additional items like phone extension and first aid training.

We would like to show a plan where the room tag pulls the on/off info from the room data on first aid training and turns on or off a heart shaped graphic.

To complicate things, I have created three nested families for the tag as we have three different labels that we want to show depending on the type of room.  The visibility of these work like a charm. 

I found many responces to the number box but they all come down to creating a seperate nested family, not a room instance controlled visibility.

I hope that I was clear, and if not, please ask and I will try to explain or provide graphics.

Cheers,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ku_coyote
in reply to: ku_coyote

Opps, forgot, using Revit 2011.  Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 10
GlynnisVP

It will probably help if you post what you have thus far.  It sounds like an interesting problem to tackle.  It seems that you may be trying to use a Conditional Formula to drive what would need to be a Shared Parameter?

Message 4 of 10
ku_coyote
in reply to: GlynnisVP

Here are two views of a generic project.  The idea is that for scheduling purposes, we want the First Aid to be identifiable in the room parameters.  We also want it to graphically show it from the parameters.

Hm, didn't realize that the rvt file went up as well, it said it was too big.

Please don't get bogged down in the labels and what they are reporting, as they are working just fine.  It is the hearts that we are having problems connecting to the parameters.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 10
GlynnisVP

Hi there,

I had a chance to look at this today.  It appears that, from a geeky technical perpective, what you are trying to do is control the visibility of a filled region entity (I also tried a nested generic annotation symbol) based upon the instance value of a Room parameter.  I believe this cannot be done for the same reason that a Calculated parameter cannot be included within a Room tag.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

I do have a workaround though, in case you are interested.  In researching this I discovered that the Alt+3 (use the 3 on the Number pad) forces a heart symbol.  In this short video you'll see that I'm editing the name of the room (you are using the Occupant field within your version of this tag) and adding this symbol.

http://screencast.com/t/4tGRPSw1E

It's not brilliant, but perhaps it helps?  I also tested in Ideate BIMLink how to push this concatenated value into the name using an if/then statement based on your yes/no parameter called FA/CPR/AED Training.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better.   Perhaps someone else can provide a method to drive the visibilty of a nested symbol or other graphic based on another room instance parameter settting?

Regards,

Glynnis

Message 6 of 10
ku_coyote

Wow,

Thanks for looking at this.

I think, that until we can get access to the parameter for visibility we will probably just manually placed the graphic.

Darn, it is dissappointing.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
Mehr81

HI Glynnis,

Have got the same issue but i am not able to get the video that you have created.

Can you please advise the best way that I can watch it.

Regards,

Moh

Message 8 of 10
GlynnisVP
in reply to: Mehr81

Hi Moh,

I must have cleaned out my old screencasts, sorry about that.  I made a quick new video to explain.  This is unfortunately a limitation of Revit, but the workaround doesn't seem to tricky.  Hope this helps: http://screencast.com/t/mtAffIJHVtt

Best Regards,

Glynnis Patterson

www.ideatesoftware.com

Message 9 of 10
Mehr81

Hi Glynnis, I really appreciate that. I could find a couple of fonts that have accessible symbol. http://www.fontspace.com/unicode/char/267F-wheelchair-symbol Best Regards, Moh
Message 10 of 10
eramoy

After coming back to this post repeatedly without finding the solution I wanted, I finally came up with something that works well enough for my firm's use.

The room family has two y/n parameters: Mobility Features and Communication Features. The room tag family has two types for mobility and communication. But I added a label (in red text) that reads the room parameter. (I used a calculated parameter so it would read M and/or C instead of just "yes" and/or "yes" which isn't very helpful.) And I made a visibility type parameter for this label. Then, back in the project, I associated the visibility of this label to a global parameter "Turn off for Printing". 

When this parameter is on, the user can see if the picture and the label correspond, and change the type of room tag to show the correct picture if necessary. When you print, simply make sure this global parameter is off.

One plus is you can also add team redlines and notes using generic annotations throughout the project and associate them with the same global parameter to turn them off for printing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report