Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof-roof!

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mrdavie
1485 Views, 6 Replies

Roof-roof!

Barking roof. Get it? OK, sorry.

Take a look at the attached jpg. The dashed line noted as ROOF is what Revit uses to place a roof. The bottom edge of the outermost portion of the roof is sitting on the roof line. I want the inside of the roof where it intersects the top inside edge of the wall to be the roof line.

In other words I want my model to look like a (wood) rafter has been notched to bear on a (wood) stud. The only reason why I placed parenthesis around the word "wood" is because I understand the fact that it will be wood framing is not critical to the model, but the profile is. It becomes trial and error to try and get the roof to position correctly and I don't think it should be that way. I have other issues with this condition but I don't want to complicate this post.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mrdavie

To lower the roof, find out the distance it needs to be lowered; then, apply that distance to the roof's Base Offset parameter, in the properties dialog, as a negative value.

To make the cut, you need to apply View > Cut profile, one by one, to the roof, and the wall. See illustration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
mrdavie
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for the tips. I had already offset the roof object. It was just a burden to figure out how much to lower it and then to lower it. I was able to trim the the portion of the ceiling object (repositioned floor object) that stuck out of the roof. However, view > cut profile was not available. I achieved it through modify > edit linework > cut profile. Then that procerss was pretty intuitive.

Message 4 of 7
loboarch

You can manipulate the roof as Alfredo suggested, but Revit does have a control over this beyond just offsets.

When placing a roof on the options bar is a setting for "extend to wall core" and there is also an instance parameter of the roof "Rafter or Truss" by manipulating these settings on the roof you have control over where the roof will "spring"/ meet the wall.  The roof will always be based on the level it is associated with but these settings control where the wall will meet the rooofs associated level.  You can still use these settings in combination with offsets to position the roof where you need it to be.

See the attached illustration to see how different varrations of these settings affect roof position.    

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 7
mrdavie
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks, Jeff. I have more to learn about Revit. These tips will help me.

Message 6 of 7
jmartin

I rarely pay attention to roof offsets or truss/rafter setting anymore. Simply make your roof outliine as you need and pitched as you need. Move the roof up or down in section or elevation to get it where you need. I only get into offsets if I have eaves that aren't all at the same elevation in one roof object.

Message 7 of 7
mrdavie
in reply to: jmartin

Thanks for the additional info. Since my current study of Revit is hypothetical because the economy has not given me the opportunity to work on a project, I am not pressed to utilize a simple method that works and allows me to get on with the work. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report