Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Plan Questions

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PhilvK
1615 Views, 4 Replies

Roof Plan Questions

Could someone please take a look at the attached test model and tell me why I can’t get the walls from Level 1 to be an underlay when viewing Level 2 (which shows my roof plan)? I’ve tried many different View Ranges, and do have Level 1 set as my underlay, but no success. I know it must be something simple, but I can’t find it.

Also, is there a tutorial that addresses how I would make the little hip portion of roof extend so I get a little gable end as sketched below?

Thanks, PhilRoof Study.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: PhilvK

Did not see the wall because your visual style is set to hidden line. Therfore your walls dissapear under your roof.

For your roof construction. Make two roofs. Join them together and cut unwanted parts away.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
PhilvK
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you, but why would you have to switch to wireframe (as opposed to hidden line) to see the underlay? To check it, I extended the walls up, created a level 3, and set Level 1 as the underlay. From Level 3, I can see Level 1 as an underlay with screened linework while in Hidden Line view. I can’t however see anything as an underlay from Level 3 if I set the underlay to Level 2. I guess that’s because the underlay doesn’t work with the level immediately below a roof ?? I’ve attached my example.

Thanks,

Phil

Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: PhilvK

Sorry misread your post. What I understand is happening is because of precedence.

In your first model, your walls from level 1 are going through level 2 and attach to the roof. In hidden line you basically tell revit to hide the walls.

Now you turn on the underlay and basically ask revit to show the walls again while still dealing with the same walls. So Revit is asked to hide and show the same walls. The hiding takes precedence.

If you adjust your view range and raise bottom level then you underlay wall starts showing.

Underlay.png

As basically your walls were not in viewing range so they do no have to be hidden. With the underlay you tell Revit to show the walls. As there is no conflict the walls are shown.

Raise your bottom further and alls your wall will show up as underlay.

This coincides with your second model. The middle walls were not in the viewing range anyway and therfore are shown as the underlay.

This happens a lot within revit that one thing will overrule the other (e.g. graphis overrides). Sometimes, form the outset, it is not clear which rule will prevail.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
PhilvK
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you very much!

Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report