Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof layers/ materials not displaying

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
4860 Views, 14 Replies

Roof layers/ materials not displaying

I have a very simple roof (sheating and shingles on rafters) and a very simple wall section, but the layers of materials are not displaying in the section. I've checked all the obvious settings I can think of - graphics overrides, detail level/ visual styles... I must be missing something. I just want to be able to see the multiple layers of my roof, but I can only see the outline. I've attached an image to show some settings and what the roof is made of. As you see, the highlighted blue roof shows no materials/ layers...

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you cutting your roof?

Roof Layers.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 15
constantin.stroescu

Verify Phasing:

If the View has the Pahase Filter > Show All and the Phase : New Construction and the Roof Phase is Existing, then you will see not the Layers of the Roof..

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Yes, I am deinitely cutting the roof. Also, this is happening in every section I cut through the roof. Not just one instance. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Had not checked that one, but that isn't the problem. Everything in the project is new. Also, just a note, this is happening with every instance cutting this roof type, which leads me to believe it's not a graphic setting, but something in the type, if that's possible. 

Message 6 of 15
L.Maas

Could it be that line weight is too big to see the thin layers. Maybe you could edit wall type and increase layer thicknesses and see if that will help.

Otherwise maybe you could strip your project back to one roof an one section cut and post it so that we can hve a look?

(verify issue is still there before posting)

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Keith_Wilkinson

Check in vid graphics and make sure you haven't overrideen the detail level for roofs (column on right hand side).

Failing that a screen shot would help...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I have viewed it at every scale, checked every lineweight, and there is no point where it works. I have stripped the project down to the roof and a wall, and saved it with a section cut where the roof is not displaying as expected. It is not just this instance though, any existing sections, and any new sections I create have the same issue, which, as I replied to others, leads me to believe it is the object, not a display issue. 

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Assuming this is what you are refering to, there are no overrides set...

Message 10 of 15
L.Maas

I checked your project. It seems that Revit has 'problems' wrapping the different layers

I made a copy of your roof and removed the slopes to get to a flat roof. Then the layers start to show up.

Also when using a section box cutting through the sloped roof at some points you see the three different layers (in odd places)

Roof Cut.png

So apparently all the curvature makes it too complex for Revit to calculate/show the different layers.

To confirm, I started a new project with different roof types but similar roof shape (one with slopes, other flat).

Roof Cut 2.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
constantin.stroescu

If you will use Roof by Face the Layers will be shown, both in 2d Section and in 3d Section Box View.

Create a Mass element - A Sweep  and then use Roof by face..

Image 9.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Great! Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try when I get a chance...

Message 13 of 15
justin

Possible bug?????

I have a similar problem.

Revit 2017 on Windows 10.

this problem is dependent on the roof slope.

So, what I noticed is that my 5/8 PW sheathing layer merges with my 1/4" shingle layer, such that I get something like 7/8" plywood and no shingle. I noticed because I overlay my section with a 5/8" plywood detail items (because revit can't get the f**king plywood layer to align with element), and the thickness of the detail item was not lining up with the thickness of the plywood layer.

BUT, this only happens at (of, course) my chosen 4"/12" pitch. I have other areas that are 8/12 with no problem.

I tried varying the pitch a little and the problem went away at 3.5" and 4.1"! I've attached images so you can see what's going on. All that I've changed is the pitch.

Message 14 of 15
dalAB4WV

8 years later... same issue. I have a pitched roof, with multiple layers. All layers are nicely visible on plan. I slightly modified the layers and just like that, they all disappear from the view. Is this a bug, autodesk?

I am working on a project with 9 almost identical buildings in separate revit models. So I have the very same roof build-up and slope in all the other buildings, however, I only have this issue in one model. This makes me suspicious that it is a #bug

Tags (3)
Message 15 of 15
gcavalier

I am having the same problem with a curved roof.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report