Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof intersection issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
arcitek
1444 Views, 5 Replies

roof intersection issue

I am running into some complications using the roof join/ unjoin tool with independently created roofs. If you look at the attached image, You can see my issues. Is there a way to resolve this? I am using create roof by footprint and when I go back into the sketch, it does not show these jogs so that I could edit them.

I was reading some other roof issue posts on another forum and maybe one issue for the eave problem would be the offset setting? Not sure why this would be a problem because both roofs use the same setting. For the other problem further up the flat roof, I am wondering if I have to create a roof that intersects the vertical wall and then one that intersects the gable roof?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
luna.ye
in reply to: arcitek

Hi arctek,

Could you please attach the roof model in post? So that can help me to find the solution with your roof issue.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 3 of 6
arcitek
in reply to: luna.ye

I can but the file is 15 megs at this point.  Should I create a new one?

Message 4 of 6
rosskirby

It's pretty difficult to tell from the image you posted exactly what's going on, although it looks like the highlighted roof is trying to join with the original extents of the other roofs, rather than their post-joined configurations (hope that makes sense).  It looks like the roof running east-west is already joined with the highest roof running N-S, so joining your low roof to the E-W roof is causing a conflict, because Revit doesn't know which join to give priority to.  You could try unjoining them all, then re-joining them in a different order.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
arcitek

What is interesting and one thing I learned from here is the order of things selected makes a difference on how roofs join with elements so that was a good thing.  The bad thing is, it did not fix this problem and I just had is happen again.  It seems you cannot join a roof to an "implied" plane, meaning that if the roof you want to join to is longer than the target roof, you will get a jog or an error message saying something about not all faces meet or something. My work around in this instance was to make two separate roofs, one that joined the actual gable roof and one that joined the wall.  I then joined the two roofs together.  I don't know if this is the correct way but it is what I did for now.

Message 6 of 6
rosskirby

It may not be the ideal way, but it's probably the way I'd handle it as well.  As you said, when you start joining objects to other objects that are already joined to something else, be it wall intersections, roof overlaps, etc., the order they are joined does make a difference.  

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report