Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Workset Huge Backup Files? Help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ghia
293 Views, 3 Replies

Revit Workset Huge Backup Files? Help

Hi There,

its my first post. in my office we are working with workset. Now the file is about 80MB (as revit always does..) Could someone help me on how to reduce the "filename_backup" folder that has automatically been created? This folder is not so big but so many. it goes up to 2500folder. We have a gb networking, but still it takes about 10min just to save the project. Curently only 3 people is working on the project.Even I have set the "maximum number of backups" to 1..help please...?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sbrown
in reply to: ghia

All that is normal and don't mess with the backups. You can create a new central file from time to time and delete the backups from the old one at milestones. But you really shouldn't have just one backup you should set the central file backup to min 10 backups. The number of folders is just the way revit organizes the backup data so that 10-20 backups doesn't = 10-20 times the size of the orig file. Save times in worksets jobs are just long, there isn't much you can do about it. Some things are use selective open so each team member is only opening the workset they are working on. Staggar your save to centrals, STC often.
Message 3 of 4
ghia

thanks for the reply.Creating new central file file will create another huge folder_backup and it is very time consuming. is there no other way to reduce the folder_backup in any ways?and to speed up the STC task? this is very sad news?.working with workset reduce the speed.or is just me? i am still on revit 7. And i hope autodesk will do something about it in the 8? any revit member in this forum? null
Message 4 of 4
ghia

yes. that is correct. if you are working with workset your work in your local computer. there is no problem at all working out of the networking. let say you are working 8hours. and you are STC every hour. Every STC takes 10min. You lost already 80 min while working with workset in 1day!!. This slow down the works already by that much. In a week you loosing 6.5hours x the hourly rate for a draftsman. this is very cost consume for my small company. And what is if the file size is getting bigger? and if more people is working with the workset?Stop working with workset?need help. Message was edited by: ghia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report