Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit vs Chief Architect

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
texcarpenter
22183 Views, 17 Replies

Revit vs Chief Architect

I am planning on buying a CAD package for my business. I an a builder whose largest project may be a 3000 sq ft house.

Is Revit overkill?

I am also looking a Chief Architect. I don't have a bias.

I don't mind making the invest in time to learn either product.

Also If I take an Autocad class, with that knowledge transfer to Revit?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Roy
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
jfields2
in reply to: texcarpenter

Dear Roy,
I believe it boils down to what you want and the time you want to spend working with the tools you get.
I am speaking from a viewpoint of AutoCAD since AutoCAD 12 in 1994 and Revit since 2004.
I don't know anything about Chief Architect.
If you want a quality product that will grow with you and keeps being upgraded I would choose Revit.
JSF
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Roy, if you would email me direct I might be able
to help...

tedhicks at bellsouth dot net

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
am planning on buying a CAD package for my business. I an a builder whose
largest project may be a 3000 sq ft house. Is Revit overkill? I am also
looking a Chief Architect. I don't have a bias. I don't mind making the invest
in time to learn either product. Also If I take an Autocad class, with that
knowledge transfer to Revit? Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks,
Roy
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

If you are a builder and you plan to do your own
drawings, you should plan on making very little money. If you need drawings for
promotion of your work, hire an architect. Work out an arrangement with the
architect about your needs. Many architects will accomodate practical concepts
so long as they meet code. If you start drawing yourself, you will have less
time to do the things builders need to do. And, you won't attain CAD efficiency
because you will have to do to many other things. Some larger builders with a
sizable staff will hire a technician to take advantage of BIM scheduling,
phasing, and fitting in commercial and institutional projects. It doesn't make
sense for a house.

Arthur

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
am planning on buying a CAD package for my business. I an a builder whose
largest project may be a 3000 sq ft house. Is Revit overkill? I am also
looking a Chief Architect. I don't have a bias. I don't mind making the invest
in time to learn either product. Also If I take an Autocad class, with that
knowledge transfer to Revit? Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks,
Roy
Message 5 of 18
vanderloo5

Arthur,
I could not disagree with you more. Being a builder who also designs and drafts a lot of my own projects,
1. Has gotten me sooo many jobs over my competitors because my clients love a one stop shop where they can get from conceptual to finish with one person.
2. When the weather sucks around here, I stay as busy as I want. I have a nice warm office to come to, crank the tunes, and draw away.
Ya I'm never gonna get rich but then again, that was never on the top of my list of priorities.
Couldn't be happier!
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

Just wanted to add...

Knowing AutoCAD won't help in Revit - in fact it will hurt. They are both
totally different programs that have totally different ways of doing
anything - even the few things (maybe 7 or 😎 that are in common.

If you're leaning towards Revit, just learn Revit.
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

ROFL

I was a reseller of Chief Architect back in the day and I know something
about Revit too. My advice is to buy into Chief Architect --but-- I would
urge you to invest the time and money to find one or more builders that have
done so and determine if the shortcomings you will discover are those you
can live with as all software has its own way of doing things and in many
instances can catch you unprepared with a way to respond. Also learn how the
company has been responding to change the past couple of years. Even if you
have to go to the state next door. Contact the builder's association and
find a builder that has the same market and same type of product you are
delivering.

When I worked with CA (which was literally developed by a rocket scientist
during an earlier recession that killed the aerospace sectors) the company
was being controlled by a big fat ugly nasty woman who had no experience in
anything except we all suspected she played the Hollywood double for the
Wicked Witch of the West. Really it was painful but I hear she is now gone.

It is also little known that CA pioneered the way Revit works in 3D and drag
and draw and so on having been the software Revit was copied from before
Autodesk acquired it to ruin it even more 😉 I mean Revit has come into its
own for sure but it is extremely complex to learn and when all is said and
done Autodesk has too many product irons in the fire as the company operates
as a stock holding company and rarely produces quality software these days;
its products are perpetually buggy and incomplete. If there is a team of
victims around who can depend on one another its not so bad and on occasion
a helpful reseller can be found but for a one man band? Have you heard of
that place called hell?

CA remains a one trick pony and ART has had to try to do their utmost best
to remain a viable in their niche; residential design and build.
Get closer to some of your own peers and learn from them is my advice.

wrote in message
news:6125846@discussion.autodesk.com...
Arthur, I could not disagree with you more. Being a builder who also designs
and drafts a lot of my own projects, 1. Has gotten me sooo many jobs over my
competitors because my clients love a one stop shop where they can get from
conceptual to finish with one person. 2. When the weather sucks around here,
I stay as busy as I want. I have a nice warm office to come to, crank the
tunes, and draw away. Ya I'm never gonna get rich but then again, that was
never on the top of my list of priorities. Couldn't be happier!
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

That's fine as long as the local jurisdication does
not require documents to prepared by or under the supervision
of a Licensed Professional Architect. Just depends on where one
practices or builds.

Craig D. VanDevere, AIA

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Arthur,
I could not disagree with you more. Being a builder who also designs and
drafts a lot of my own projects, 1. Has gotten me sooo many jobs over my
competitors because my clients love a one stop shop where they can get from
conceptual to finish with one person. 2. When the weather sucks around here, I
stay as busy as I want. I have a nice warm office to come to, crank the tunes,
and draw away. Ya I'm never gonna get rich but then again, that was never on
the top of my list of priorities. Couldn't be
happier!
Message 9 of 18
scott

There are no states of which I am aware that "require" plans to be prepaired by an architect, although there are jurisdictions within states which may.  It is always good advise to verify the requirments of the jurisdicion within which you intend to build.  The closest exception to my above statement is the State of New York, which requires all residential and commercial plans be "produced by" a licensed architect or engineer.  Even in the case of New York, there is no requirement for an architect to produce the plans as engineers are allowed to design and produce construction documents.

Again, local jurisdictions, the local building official, has ultimate authority in setting all requirements for construction and building permits, so it is advisable to perform due dilegence in researching your local jurisdicion's requirements.

As to the original question... I have used several CAD programs over the years, starting on a main frame, and subsequently incuding VersaCAD, AutoCAD, AutoCAD with the Softdesk AutoArchitect overlay, and currently Chief Architect products.  They all have their pros and cons.  The best advise I have seen in this strand of discussion is to find builders or designers who are engaged in similar endeavors as yourself, and learn from them.  Most are willing to share.  In it's early days of development I rejected Chief Architect.  It just was not construction document friendly.  I appears they have resolved this limitation.  I am in the process of evaluating it now for my own business, and it looks good so far.  However, I am still using AutoCAD for my construction documents simply because of familiarity.

I have managed an architects design department, and developed and managed a Design/Build companiies design departement, also serving as lead designer in both.  I am not a licensed architect, but have won design awards in competition with licensed architects.  I started on pure CAD products and moved to AutoCAD, but I am now moving toward Chief Architect for ease of use and time of design considerations.  The only potential draw back is if you will need to involve an engineer to develope structural documents from your design plans.  Most Engineering firms with which I have worked use Autodesk products.  While I am sure that Chief Architect provides an export option into dxf format, I am unsure who usable the resulting file would be to an engineer.  You may desire to investigate this as well.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 18
jedbjorn

I am a draftsman who primarily uses Chief Architect. I have looked at Revit and AutoCAD architecture. I am working on learning Revit now purely for the purpose of putting it on my resume. It has become the industry standard, along with autoCAD. As far as the quality and ease of use, Cheif Architect is far and away better for anything short of abstract and atypical designs. If you are needing to draw some weird, curvy skyscraper for a giant asian city, dont use Cheif. If you are doing typical or mostly typical constrution, this is the program to use, ESPECIALLY if ease of use is important to you. 

Sketchup is also a good 3D model program, and we see lots of builders and homeowners come in with sketup files. Its also free. but for ease of use, speed, and the like, there is no comparison, get Cheif. Also, it requires less hardware, I can run almost any file we draw on a laptop with integrated graphics, a 2.4 quad core CPU with turbo, and 8 GB or RAM. Revit just wont run as smooth on such hardware.

Message 11 of 18
mpwuzhere
in reply to: jedbjorn

People love to pull up old posts don't they?

Take out all the intelligence of Revit and merge the reliance on drafting lines and patterns of ArchiCAD and you get Chief Architect.

Yeah, I've used it too.  Still prefer the use of Revit.  The only good thing about CA is it's awesome for creating kitchens with all the pre-built components of different manufacturers.

Message 12 of 18
CADsince2000
in reply to: mpwuzhere

Chief Architect SUCKS!

Message 13 of 18
jeffwoodwick

I have a little experience with Revit and a lot more with Cheif Architect. They both track materials from a 3d model of the contruction.  Both produce quality renderings and detailed working drawnings.  Cheif Architectect is purchased with a perminate licence.  Revit is "rented or leased" for about the same price annually.  

Cheif Architect is capable of fairly complex construction, HD renderings and walk through videos.  Revit is undoubtedly more robust with features and capabilities.  Both are great platforms for home design.  I'm also comparing both platforms and plan to buy inhte next 2 weeks.  SoftPlan is another option that is similar to Cheif Architect in features and cost.

Message 14 of 18
mpwuzhere

CA has local support too...as in they live in Washington and Idaho and the call center is just down the street from my house....no overseas support.
Message 15 of 18
fprawlings4

Hate to bump this again...

I have been working in CA for about 5 years and I am trying to learn Revit (for whatever reason).

I have learned CA (teaching myself), SketchUp, FormZ, Rhino and 3DSMax, and Revit has by far the most difficult learning curve.  Things that seem like they should be intuitive are not very intuitive.  I understand that it's capabilities far exceed those of CA, but it seems like it could integrate some aspects that make modeling a building more like modeling a building.

If I was doing just basic residential design, I would go with CA.  Since I am an architect and am interested in other projects, I guess I will keep at it with trying to learn Revit.

Message 16 of 18
jedbjorn
in reply to: fprawlings4

You know I actually switched to Revit this year and I like it a lot more. I
was self taught in chief and I'm self taught in revit. Revit is way more
controllable. But it had its quirks too!
Message 17 of 18

Hello
All software is designed for a purpose and none can be anywhere else.

But to choose one application should pay special attention to some parameters:

*A product of a prestigious and global company.

*Great support

*In line with your purpose and need of work

*Quick access to resources and educational materials

*Interoperability and coordination with other related software

*And many more....

Overall, in my opinion, the comparison of software is completely amateur and beginner And my recommendation is the Revit software.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 18 of 18
tomdbiggs_
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

I'm a Revit user since 2005, and a CA user since 2016 when I entertained obtaining a license to be able to work with a client/contractor's file.  I'm a believer that sometimes one tool is better at some things than others, but it's really great when the program is not too buggy (Revit is less than CA), and helps one produce a well- coordinated set of drawings for a Permit with general ease. 

CA comes with a really amazing object library, and honestly this for many is probably a main reason why people keep renewing their SSA agreements with them.  The way many objects are modeled, where they each have so many attributes that can be changed on the fly is another great feature.  Revit requires you make a new family for each unique instance.  Kitchen layout is probably my biggest reason for continuing to use CA.  Also, how one works with materials in CA is the same as in Sketchup, and is much more easy than Revit.  Both programs have great rendering tools.  Visually I like the quality of how many of the objects appear in plan in CA, but I can live with what Revit can produce without effort to improve it.   The above accolades for CA aside, the crux of what I do is producing well-coordinated drawings, documentation, managing revisions, making changes, and this is where CA does not do such a great job.  In fact I find this perspective to be where CA becomes a liability.  Also, in CA there is no phasing (MAJOR HEADACHE), and the work around is to make a separate existing plan file, and then make a new plan file (I hate this the most!, and don't get me started about how to do a demo plan in CA---honestly it really sucks).  If you realize after working on the new plan file, that you need to correct something that was existing, then you need to change it in both files.   The other way to accommodate new versus existing in a single model involves making specific layers, and wall types for existing and proposed.  It is all very convoluted and not easy to manage, especially for larger projects.   Yet another area where CA falls flat is with site/civil work.   CA is only good for the visual aspect of things, and I do commend the landscape tools in CA with a massive plant library with a "plant selector" tool that is wonderful.  But there is not way to do cut/fill analysis, or a spot elevation tool.   This is really critical when say modelling sloped crawl spaces with retaining walls.  

A work flow that worked great for me, was to utilize CA for generating a kitchen layout.  Then I exported that plan file and interior elevation drawing to dwg format, and dropped it into Revit quite easily.  But for complex residential or commercial work, with many drawings and details, I use Revit to keep everything coordinated.  Levels, Grids, Property lines appear as absolute elements in all views in Revit, but in CA, they have to be cut and pasted (what if they get pasted in the wrong place by accident).  Only a little liability.  For smaller interior work, that has a 1-2 page deliverable, I just do it all in CA.  The other advantage to Revit for me is that it works much better for exporting dwgs to contractors and consultants.   CA produces dwg files that have lines colored not by layer, so I always have to go in to each drawing and fix it before sending it out.  The list goes on for me.  I just think that overall the production of a set of drawings, with building consistently shown across the set, is MUCH less of a pain than doing it in CA.  That said, I'm going to finish my interior remodel which is small and that I'm doing in CA.   

Here's a further way of also expressing my sentiment about the two programs.  If you got a big project, and you don't want liability from inconsistencies in drawings or errors (detail numbers, sheet numbers, drawing scales, property lines incorrect, etc) use Revit.  Use CA for kitchen layout and supplemental details like a planting plan and import into Revit as a cad object.  Also early on in a project maybe use CA for producing quick concepts with materials, but once approved, STOP, and do the construction drawings for the permit in Revit.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report