Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Tell me the negatives

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
rgoodall
846 Views, 48 Replies

Revit - Tell me the negatives

I have just finished a 3 day intro course on Revit 9.1 - I think the program has some amazing possibilities. Our office has been using ADT for some of the basic features like walls and areas but basically using it as like AutoCAD.

Can you people (who have been using it for a while now) please let me know what is not good about it and some of the restrictions it may have.

I think our office is going to switch over ot using it and phase it in to the office, please give me your opinions

Thanks
Rob
48 REPLIES 48
Message 41 of 49
Anonymous
in reply to: rgoodall

Here's a few replies for you. I got tired of answering so didn't include responses for everything, as the most common, and most helpful replies are 1) It's not AutoCAD/ADT and doesn't work like AutoCAD/ADT, and 2) Invest in some training, be it books, classes, or even the tutorials Revit provides in the Help.

2. Have you experienced any specific troubles with this? From my vantage point, it's MUCH easier to manage than layers were, primarily because there's no problems with things being drawn on the wrong layer.

4. I have no troubles creating things 'on-the-fly'. No, it's not as much through keyboard strokes as CAD, but mouse clicks, which let me drink coffee while I work instead of having both hands tied up...

5. I find groups to have more power and flexibility than xrefs, especially with the ability to exclude members from one group that is slightly different, and still have the remaining elements update with changes to the original group! Xrefs can't do that!

10. Revit has one 'style' for the door as well, the family. The choices you make in ADT's dialogs over and over again for each door get saved in a Revit 'type' for quicker selection. You can purge any and all 'types' (or families for that matter) that you don't want.

11. Sure, Revit allows for these offsets, if the Family was designed with reference planes in the proper locations.

12. No lost production time for users to mess with the UI at each release, or if something goes wrong with a machine. Sit them down at the one next door, and they are immediately productive because they don't have to hunt for toolbars and buttons and drag things to new places, etc.

13. Look into 3rd-party (free) revit Inchworm. Or use space bar between units -- works just like the ' and ". 0 6 = 6".

15. Sure it does. Uncheck the 'Constrain' box in the options bar when you copy.

16. Or, create a family with a type- or instance-based 'Swing Angle' parameter.

23. This is to allow you to select new wall types, for instance, without leaving the 'Wall' command. You've asked for this feature several times already, now you don't like it?

25. Anything newly added to the model takes on the 'phase' of the view it was created in. If you want to copy lots of existing items, set the View's current phase to 'Existing'.

32. It *really* sounds like you need some training in Family creation. One family will handle all of these conditions, with Parameters that can be controlled by instance or by type. A "Brick Trim" family, with height/width/depth/material parameters...

37. Click the scroll bars, or use the middle mouse button.

39. Change the Phase Filters, or the Graphic Overrides for Phases.
Message 42 of 49
Anonymous

B,

What is the date of the OP?
I don't think I have it in my cache,
and you didn't include it in your reply.

I'm thinking that your responses will make more sense,
if we can see the questions?

Thanks!

--
CoreyL
Message 43 of 49
Anonymous

never mind, I found it.

2006?

why are we picking on such an out-dated thread?
just curious...

--
CoreyL
Message 44 of 49
Anonymous

LOL. To some degree, you have a point. This would have been better as a new thread, rather than dragging up an old one.

The true OP was made in October of 2006.

The post that I replied to was made by SteveGags (Steve Gagliardi) on July 08, 2008 at 12:02 CDT in this thread ("Revit - Tell me the negatives", http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=512530), and on July 08, 2008 at 12:05 CDT in the "ADT to Revit" thread at http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=511261 Message was edited by: Discussion Admin
Message 45 of 49
Anonymous

>4.Revit relies on "placing walls/objects...then moving itno place" more so
>than drawing/edtiting on the fly, through keybrd >strokes...........while
>zoomed in, the "reference dims" end up on the opposite end of the area you
>are working on, so you end up zooming >out again to see them.....not
>efficient or user friendly

I tend to agree with this criticism.
Revit lacks good *dynamic* placement tools, in comparison to its peers.
I'm still getting used to the Revit method of:
"just stick it in the model somewhere, and then adjust it's location
afterward."

>the Revit Drafting Elements are not sophisticated like ADT software

probably because the impetus for development, at least up 'til now, has been
toward the "M" in BIM.
any 2D features are considered (by the Developers...) temporary, at best;
I'd assume.

>10. Revit Door Styles have hundreds of duplicate styles that are based on
>the door size and swing..............
>ADT has 1 door style for solid door for example.......
>you edit the size and swing in a 'dialogue'- simple
>Revit makes you create a door that is 3' wideX6'-8" and 3'-6" widex
>6'-8...etc.....not efficient or user friendly

This is another one that does burn me.
I definitely prefer provisions for isolated variable dims in Objects (like
in ACD-A)
If Revit means for browseing through the plethora of slightly differeing
Types were a little better,
that might help. Maybe a more Graphically sophisticated interface (vs. a
text drop-down list).
Maybe a means to (temporarily) filter the list would be helpful, too -
especially if it's long.
But in Revit, the key seems to be adopting a very clear and logical naming
convention,
so like things get grouped together in the listing, and there's enough info
in the name to tell what it is?
Another feature enhancement idea: Add a description field to the Type def,
and include a time-sensitive seting
that will display this description at the cursor if you hover the mouse
over?

>14. Trim/Align tools are clunky-

I haven't used Trim much yet, so I can't comment. But Revit's Align tool is
the best frickin' thing since sliced bread, IMO.
The fact that it works in *any* view, is way cool. Adjust for both horiz. &
vert. placement. Way cool...

>16. Revit- door swings are built into the family style...so if you want a
>45 degree, 30 degree, 135 degree door that is 3', 3'-6", 3'-8", 5'->6"
>etc.....you will have a style for each size and swing...not
>efficient.......this is a dialogue entry in ADT

I agree.
*point*, ADT...(ACD-A)

>24. the Counter tool is difficult to draw in place on the fly....

I'm also not convinced of Revit's (OOTB) approach to Casework - with
Components.
I realize that this is the way you would build it:
Cabinet Base, Countertop, Sink; all separate.
But IMO, it takes too long to construct a simple bathroom vanity, for
example.
When I get more time, I'm going to investigate things like Groups, maybe?
To see if there are some better, more automated ways to use Content?

>25. Revit does not allow you to copy a preset element that has visibility
>for phasing existing/demo for example....
>it changes the visibility to 'new' phasing.......cumbersome to edit them
>again, over and over....everytime

I agree. The "Create Similar" command should replicate the source Object's
Phase settings.

--
CoreyL
Message 46 of 49
Anonymous

S,

Revit could learn a thing or two from AutCAD...

seriously,
a blanket statement: "out with the old, in with the new"
Isn't realistic.
Especially when some of the Old features are conceptually superior to the
new.
Don't get me wrong, Revit is a wonderful, and sophisticated product -
the more I learn, the more I like.
But I do find that there is a lot of room for improvement out "on the
fringes" of the application.
Simple, non-BIM things. Like, say, AutoCAD's polar tracking? Why not?

--
CoreyL
Message 47 of 49
Anonymous

Hi, Corey! I too would love something like polar tracking in Revit but have
also realized that the "throw it in and adjust it after" approach seems to
be normal for this program. It's a darn cool program, though, and has a lot
more to it than it's juvenile interface implies.

Rick Moore, AIA
www.bgkarchitects.com
Message 48 of 49
Anonymous

I agree that there could be some tools that are shared. But what I said
was, that while learning Revit, forget AutoCAD. And while learning Revit,
don't try and make it do things "like I do in AutoCAD."

"Corey A. Layton" wrote in message
news:5976957@discussion.autodesk.com...
S,

Revit could learn a thing or two from AutCAD...

seriously,
a blanket statement: "out with the old, in with the new"
Isn't realistic.
Especially when some of the Old features are conceptually superior to the
new.
Don't get me wrong, Revit is a wonderful, and sophisticated product -
the more I learn, the more I like.
But I do find that there is a lot of room for improvement out "on the
fringes" of the application.
Simple, non-BIM things. Like, say, AutoCAD's polar tracking? Why not?

--
CoreyL
Message 49 of 49
tbharkins

Normally I wouldn't respond to this post but just consider it the views of someone who is unfamiliar with the software. However, considering so much time was taken to point out all the ' with Revit I felt it worth my time. Also, I found some of the issues with Revit to be just plain wrong.

The most interesting thing I found was that the original post was almost 2 years old! I also found the statement 'not bashing Revit' very interesting. That's good because I'd hate to see what issues he'd have if he was. Finally, I see he used ADT for 5 years and he's been using Revit for a whole 3 weeks. Glad to see he gave it a fair chance. Personally, I've been using AutoCAD since 1983 (man am I getting old), ADT since 2.0 and I've now been using Revit for over 4 years. ADT has never been what it was intended to be and is probably the primary reason Autodesk bought Revit. I also worked for a reseller for 2+ years and found that most of the customers use ADT as a glorified AutoCAD package because they find it too difficult to get ADT to work the way they expect it to. They end up resorting to drawing everything with lines.

BTW, it seems like some of the changes they've made in ADT are strangely familiar. Ever wonder where the ability to start drawing a wall and typing in a dimension came from?

As Scott said, Revit is not AutoCAD. It's a completely different software and requires a completely different thought process. It would be like trying to go from a MAC to a PC and saying 'Why doesn't the PC do it this way, the MAC did'.

1. There's a reason Revit doesn't use AEC walls, tags, etc. They are simply not the same types of objects as Revit walls, tags, etc. Again, you're asking for 2 completely different pieces of software to understand the same object. As far as things getting screwed up in Revit, it's a matter of people paying attention to what they're doing. I've seen people completely screw up drawings.

2. Revit doesn't need layers. Layers are useless being as you can name a layer whatever your heart desires and you can never be sure what's on it. When you turn something on or off in Visibility Graphics you know exactly what your changing. IMO the categories pretty much function just like layers in AutoCAD.

3. Need more specifics on what issues you're having.

4. Yes, it would be handy to have an 'automatic offset' similar to ADT. However, placing an object and moving it really doesn't seem to be a major issue for anyone here.

5. Groups aren't meant to be an XREF substitute. They are more meant to manage different types of components. If it's the phasing that is causing problems than create a view with correct phase and work in that view.

6. Simple create the 2D lines as an in-place family.

7. Not sure what you mean by 'snapping to dimensions'. If you're mirroring components you have the choice of drawing a reference line and picking it or using the 'draw' option instead of pick in the mirror tool.

8. You CAN change the wall type while in the wall command.

9. Again, need more specifics on what command is giving you a problem.

10. Revit only has as many door styles as you need. If you don't want to create a door style for each size than you can make the size parameters instance parameters instead of type parameters. The reason they're created as types is it makes it easier to place the door you want and get it scheduled correctly. No more having to watch what the width or height of the door when placing it. As far as the swing angle goes, I recommend looking at RevitCity.com. There are several adjustable doors available.

11. If you want an offset simple place the object, pick it, and change the temporary dimension. There are very few times that I've had to draw a temporary line to place an object.

12. Profiles were, and still are, a major pain. We use both revit and ADT and every time I get one of the users here calling me saying they're menus aren't loaded, or their paths aren't correct I cringe. It's a nice change knowing i can sit down at any computer and i know exactly what I'm looking at. Everything you need to design is there and it's exactly where you expect it.

13. First off, why are you using shift + keys? Just type the dimension you want 1 means 1 foot. 1" means 1". Secondly, you can Revit to use inches if you want. Go to Project Units under Settings and change it to Fractional Inches instead of FEET and Inches. Of course, I just chose to adjust to the way the software was set up. It took me all of about 3 days.

14. Would need more specifics. Make sure you're using the correct trim tool.

15. Sure it does. Uncheck the 'Constrain' box in the options bar when you copy.

16. See number 10 above

17. I'll agree with you on the grips. There needs to be some improvement.

18. Try using the create similar tool instead of offset. Before you begin drawing the wall you can type in the dimension that you want the wall offset.

19. Not true. You can either preset the value or select Graphical and type the value.

20. Windows are as editable, if not more editable than ADT. The level of editability is simply a matter of how the family was created.

21. I will agree with you on that one. I'd like to see a chamfer and radius option built into the trim command.

22. Again, not sure why you're having a problem. Set up a view showing the existing phase, place the existing door and set it be demolished in the new phase. Place the new cased opening in the new phase. This is done many times without having to split up walls.

23. I refer to the previous response - "This is to allow you to select new wall types, for instance, without leaving the 'Wall' command. You've asked for this feature several times already, now you don't like it?"

24. If you want the counter to align with the walls than use a wall based family. If you don't want to drag the counter to the size you want than create a family with the size built in (not very useful since counter tops are typically built to the size of the room. If that doesn't work, create the countertop as an in-place family. As far as the sinks, use a non-hosted sink. finally, the comment about Revit being a modeling software. This is a typical response from those that want to pick Revit apart. Just because it's a model software DOES NOT MEAN EVERYTHING HAS TO BE 3D. Rule of thumb - only create what you need to in 3D. Keep your families simple. If a 2D representation conveys your intent than use it.

25. Work in a view with the right phase set. Why would you want to preset the phase of an object?

26. this shouldn't be an issue in 2009. Unless you're zoomed in so far you can't see the object that's being referenced.

27. Stairs definitely need improved. No argument there.

28. Roofs could also use some improvements. Not sure why you're having issues with readability. I'm not sure how ADT handles this but if you want the edges of the walls below the roof to appear I either turn on the floor below the roof ar use details lines and lock them to the face of the wall below.

29. Haven't dealt much with arch-topped windows.

30. I really don't understand this one. I can create a window of any shape and size. As far as scheduling, the schedules only display what you tell them to.

31. If you are placing a wall why not type the length of the wall as you're placing it?

32. Again, simply not true. If it's a 2D representation you want, use the detailing tools. If it's something like a sill than either build it in to the window or create a family that is adjustable. Families are leaps and bounds ahead of where blocks could ever be. Families are not something that you can simply just start creating. If you want to use them effectively you definitely need to get training.

33. You are correct, any Joe Schmo can accidently move something on a different floor. However, I found this is usually someone just not paying attention to what they're doing. Typically I found this only happens once when the person has top go back and fix it. they quickly learn to be conscious of what's going on in the model. Of course, if Autodesk made it the other way people would complain that they couldn't move things in one level while they're in another.

34. I'm sorry, if I heard you right, you said ceilings are hard to work with in Revit? Ceilings are one of the worst things to work with in ADT! What is easier than picking inside a room and having Revit create a ceiling. If you need a different size grid create a ceiling type and have it show a different size grid. As far as changing from 1 to the other, all you have to do is pick the ceiling and pick the new type from the options box. What’s so difficult? You need to move the grid or heaven-forbid rotate it, how about selecting on the grid line and moving it. Again, what’s so difficult? True the light fixtures don't snap to the grid. So place one light, align it to the grid and then copy or array the light. As far as the ‘element is too small message’ try using your align tool.
35. Again, if you are talking about creating families, you need to get training.
36. Huh? Very rarely do we EVER have to change the profile of a wall unless we are trying to create a wall with a sloped top. The extend tool in Revit works beautifully. If you are getting error messages than it’s not the software it’s the way you created your model. We occasionally get error messages if the roof does not extend over the wall. The last part of your statement is one I find most amusing ‘Revit is not an accurate software’. Are you kidding? If anything, Revit is TOO accurate. Hence the reason you can not manually over-ride dimensions. If something needs to be drawn to a 1/16” of an inch then draw it to a 1/16” of an inch and don’t fudge it because it’s close enough.
37. It’s been a while since I actively worked in ADT but I wasn’t aware that ADT had an ‘autoscroll’ feature. I find the middle mouse button quite useful when I have to scroll.
38. Why? Again, ADT and Revit are 2 different software packages. That’s like saying I can’t copy and paste from Microsation to ADT. BTW, can ADT cut and paste elements from Revit? Hmmm.

39. Set up your views to show components any way your heart desires. Heck, have everything show as different colors like ADT if you wish.
40. Before making a statement like something is ‘outrageous’ you should probably work with Revit a while longer on some larger projects, possibly across multiple offices. While I’m not a big proponent of having separate Revit files, I’m sure there are times when this may be a viable option. Personally I’ve never been able to come up with a good way of making it work without running into other problems. Now we do have structural and MEP in separate models but I’m sure you weren't referring to that end of things. One thing, you seem to be a big fan of X-Refs as I am. Aren’t X-Refs separate files that linked in another drawing?

Finally, I think the guys working on the Freedom Tower would disagree that Revit isn't a good tool for corporate architecture.

Are there improvements I'd like to see in Revit? definitely. IMO I'd like to see them integrate tool palettes into Revit. I also thing the interface for loading families could be greatly enhanced. I've seen some third-party software that handles this MUCH better. I also wish they'd get rid of the arrow and give us the choice of using cross-hairs would be a huge step forward. As far as the components go, I’d love to see something similar to the dynamic blocks in AutoCAD where I can select a box and I get a drop down box next to the family that I can choose a different type. Message was edited by: Discussion Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report