Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit tag too many types in my project. Yes/No instance parameters in a tag

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
david_rock
963 Views, 4 Replies

Revit tag too many types in my project. Yes/No instance parameters in a tag

Hello,

I think I already know the answer but I'm going to ask again in the hope that someone might be able to surgest a creative solution.

I have a few tags, room tags, hexagonal pipe tags etc, within these tags there are many different graphical options to cover all the different options we require. To date I have created a different type within the family or I have just created a new tag family.

My trouble is that each time I tag an item I have to go scrolling through the long list of families and types to find the option.

I so much wish for the tag to be treated as an instance itself and be able to use instance yes/no parameters for tags.

Do you have any ideas for nesting a tag in anouther family type or linking the symbol type to a text parameter? Surly something?

Kind Regards

David

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damo3
in reply to: david_rock

Can you explain your setup a little more? I don't quite understand the problem. There should be one tag type for each category? It sounds like you have many? You can assign which tag is used and 'types' that may be contained in the family, such as border / no border. Go to the annotate ribbon, drop down loaded tags and assign your defaults. I may have misunderstood. 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 3 of 5
CoreyDaun

Unfortunately, this limitation still exists in Revit and I doubt it will change anytime soon, though I'd love to be wrong! Smiley Wink I would suggest using the link below, which is frequently supplied by Autodesk Support Personnel here, to voice your concerns/wishes.

To expand on the explanation of the problem, Instance Parameters that reside within a Tag Family are not accessible, or even visible, to the user once in the Project environment. For instance, if you have a secondary Label that you wish to be optional, while you can simply create a Yes/No Instance Parameter and link the Label's visibility to it in the Family Editor, once it is used in the Project that Yes/No Parameter does not appear under Properties when an instance of the Tag is selected. This forces the user to create Type Parameters and separate Family Types for even small differences.

Edit: This, of course, is assuming that all of the the OP's different Tags are of the same Category.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
damo3

Ahh right, i misread this. Yes I came across this when wanting a yes no parameter for a bounding box. On the flip side, being a type does at least allow you to set a default.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 5
SteveKStafford
in reply to: damo3

A few options...

When you tag elements you can tell Revit which tag should be used by default via the Loaded Tags dialog. The tag that appears next to a category is the tag that will be used when you use Tag by Category. If you work systematically you can set which tag you intend to use for awhile and then the correct tag will be offered by default.

Another way to do it is Right Click > Create Similar (you can select one and click the Create Similar button on the ribbon too) over a tag that is the kind you want to place, assuming one is already in the view. This way Revit will start tagging with that tag.

Yet another approach is to select everything you want to tag and then use Tag All, choosing the tag type you'd like to use. When you select elements first this dialog changes Revit's focus to tag selected elements instead of everything that isn't already tagged. This gives you a bit more control over which tag should be used on which elements.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report