Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Sweep Profile issue

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TTrschmitt
3785 Views, 5 Replies

Revit Sweep Profile issue

I have created a parameterized profile family to use in a sweep. There are several closed loops, but they are never inside of each other. (for example, 3 circles controlled by a radius and then a parameter of 6*radius controlling the center to ceter distance between them) I brought the profile into a family and used it to create an extrusion. It creates the extrusion, but once the profile parameters are linked to the family parameters and I try to flex them, any change breaks the extrusion with a "cant make type" error. If I reduce the profile to one closed loop it flexes perfectly, but when I try any other arrangement of multiple shapes, it always breaks once I try to adjust parameters. I know you cannot have closed loops inside of each other, but the arrangements I have never intersect or enclose each other. It also sweeps correctly initially, but breaks upon flexing. Is it possible to get this working or am I attempting the impossible. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maciejwypych
in reply to: TTrschmitt

Hi,

Just checked in 2015 it definately works. Check the following:

Any chance that the profile family is overconstrained?

When you are flexing the profile family, are the values less than 5mm - Can it be a "Line to short error" in the profile family?

Try selecting the linework in the profile family to check if there are any redundant lines, that may be causing the problem.

If any of the above won't help, any chance you can post your family?

Thanks,

Maciej

Message 3 of 6
TTrschmitt
in reply to: maciejwypych

I am in 2014.  I have attached the profile family.  I don't beleive it is overconstrained because I can flex it just fine when I am inside the profile family.  I have not been using small values either, and I have no redundant lines.  Could the process of assigning the profile type parameters to family parameters be causing my problems? this is the first time I have connected a profile in this way.  I have done nested families before, but this is slightly different. 

Another issue could be with parameters defined by formula, does it matter in which family the formula is used? I currently have the same formulas assigned to both the profile parameters and family parameters.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
TTrschmitt

sorry, in the above post, whereever it says "extrusion" I intended to write "sweep" unfortunately, you cannot use profiles in extrusions, so I am using profiles in straight-line sweeps

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

What exactly are you trying to do? It seems like your going through unnecessary complications. Isn´t this a structural column? Why not use a column instead? It would be good to see a sketch of what you want to create.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
TTrschmitt
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

A little background on this, I am trying to make a steel pile and pile cap family that includes a type for each pile grouping (30 piles, 7 piles, 4 piles etc) so making flexible profile families to be linked into a parent family and parameterized by type and used in a sweep as the best way to make extruded geometry that can vary in number and shape of objects, and with objects that do not share geometric logic.

but i got it working!

The issue lies with equality dimensions and dimensional parameters not getting along when dealing with linework and reference planes at the same time.  Previously I had two closed loops whose lines were all dimensionally parameterized and an equality dimension from a line of one closed loop to the center reference plan to a line of the other closed loop.  By adding a reference plane for each of the closed loops, dimensioning all linework of each closed loop to each exclusive reference plane, then dimensioning the equality parameters only between reference planes, it works.  Still confusing that it flexed previously in the profile but broke once it was used in a sweep.  Thanks again for your help. 

If anyone is interested, compare the relationship of this attached family with the one I previously posted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report