Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Student 2015 on Windows 8.1 fail

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mhm167
487 Views, 5 Replies

Revit Student 2015 on Windows 8.1 fail

Revit Student 2015 downloaded and installed properly or as far as I could tell everything was successful. The problem occurs when I open the program. There are numerous small glitches everywhere. I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count. For a while it would not even download successfully, but when I attempted to redownload for screenshots to send to Autodesk, the program miraculously downloaded properly.

As for the glitches, the properties bar won't update itself when I choose a component or wall or anything.  The ribbon is continuously messing up such as disappearing or not allowing me to select anything. The options on the ribbon lining the bottom of the screen flicker non stop and are useless. Unless I do some intricate out of the way steps involving clicking the build a wall option and then clicking escape to then click an existing wall and unselect it, there is no way for the 3D view to spin. These are the types of steps I have to take to make the smallest of moves and even then, the program freezes half the time. I have not once been able to exit out of the program correctly or gotten far enough to see of the save works. Each time I attempt to solve the Revit problems, when the program is opened I have to end task to keep revit from freezing everything. My computer is a brand new Dell XPS 15 with definitely all of the necessary requirements.

What could be causing these problems that dub my Revit worthless at this point in time??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
j423w450
in reply to: mhm167

I just got mine too and have been messing with the same things. Like yours it has the specs to to run revit to a high preformance with an i7 processor, 16gb of ram, 2gb video card, 512 ssd and it still doesnt work an I've tried everything and nothing changes. Help us!

Message 3 of 6
mhm167
in reply to: j423w450

j423w450 I tried to download the trial version to see if that worked. It let me download it but the installation couldn't happen. However I did find some wierd temporary fix where I tried to open my revit after downloading the trial and it just somehow worked properly, however I shut my computer down and when I restarted and tried to re-open the program it wouldn't work again. but I did the same download of the trial version and it worked again. So if you are in dire need to use revit right now like I am it may be a little helpful until someone else has a permanent fix!
Message 4 of 6
hfa16

Did you ever figure out the solution this problem? I am currently experiencing the exact situation with the same computer as you have. So frustrating!

Message 5 of 6
mhm167
in reply to: hfa16

I did figure it out, after 3 months of rediculous! I tried a combination of things so I'm not sure which combination actually made it work. First, I contacted dell since revit is no help other than this forum. They said my graphics card wasn't compatable, but it is. It just hasn't technically been tested by revit. (so that's not the problem incase you're told it is) First, I tried to up the zoom percentage in revit to 150%, I believe. That didn't work, so Dell had me uninstall and reinstall Windows. That may or may not have been a factor in making it finally work, but its worth a try. Next, I lowered the resolution to whatever it is that Revit recommends. Again, I couldn't tell you if that had anything to do with it either. The last thing I did was go back and try changing revits percentage to 150% again after the reinstallation. (I believe its at the bottom of the screen. I haven't opened revit in a few months. Basically by the time I got it working, I graduated and it didn't matter.) That's when it suddenly started working, so I didn't mess with anything after that, including the resolution because I couldn't afford to somehow screw it up again. So, I'd start with the percentage thing and try the rest if that doesn't do it. 

On a side note, just FYI if you also have adobe suites (5), the resolution change helps indesign and illustrator. Everything was really tiny until I changed the resolution. There's no hope for photoshop. It's just really tiny forever, unless adobe has an update or something to fix it by now. They all still work fine though. 

Good luck!! and let me know if it works.

Message 6 of 6
rosskirby

For problems like you describe, it's usually one of two things: the graphics card or the version of .NET you have running on your machine.

If the glitches pertain primarily to the ribbon, then it's likely the .NET version that is the problem.  You may have a different version than what is required for Revit, or you may have some conflicting software on your machine that's continually overwriting the .NET version that gets installed with Revit.  This would be the case if Revit worked fine after the first install, but then had a problem after a restart or other computer update.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report