Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Structure 2011 Error Message...?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
amoeba_720
3422 Views, 6 Replies

Revit Structure 2011 Error Message...?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had the same error message when using Revit 2011, it was working fine until a couple of days ago and then every time I open up a Project it appears to load it but then stops and a message pops up saying "Encountered an improper argument". This is a real pain as I can't open up anything apart from a new project.

I even tried to be cheeky and open up a new project and load in a family i was trying to develop and open it up through the new project (which worked! Smiley Happy) but when i tried to save it came up with the same message, I tried again to save and Revit told me that a fatal error had occurred and needed to close giving me the option to save a recovery (which it won't let me do either!?!?! Smiley Mad)

If anyone has had this before and knows a get around please let me know as I can't exactly use Revit 2010 to open up anything either! How silly is that?

Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

"Encountered an improper argument" is actually a Microsoft error message, so you might want to try checking out the Microsoft forums for any updates or patches necessary.

Please let us know what you find out!

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7

Ah, Microsoft eh? I am not all too surprised! Haha! Weird thing is that none of the other guys in our drafting pool have had this problem even though we are all using the same machine, I wonder whether this has been sabotaged by one of those pesky Microsoft updates as they have already been a pain in more than one place! Haha! Thanks for the advice though, I will certainly quiz Microsoft about it and see what they suggest. If I find a fix I will definately post it on this thread! Cheers Jillian!
Message 4 of 7
amoeba_720
in reply to: amoeba_720

Alright, turns out it was something to do with Microsoft updates, our I.T. guy did a complete Microsoft Update on my machine and reinstalled revit with all the latest service packs and it seems to work now, he was a little unsure what the initial problem was to begin with though! Anyway, this seems to work so smiley faces all around! Cheers!
Message 5 of 7
Cftreat

I encountered this same error while working In revit architecture 2011. Turns out if you pull the tool bars off the ribbion along with moving the project browser and properties dialog out of the revit window onto to another monitor, this error occurs.

Found I had to pull the "Encountered an improper argument" window over to the other monitor(out of the Model view), close it and close the Project browser, the Properties Dialog, and all the tool bars.

Once that was done I had to avoid the drawing/model space, hover the cusor over to the Windows 7  taskbar and close the Revit program window from there. This allows the revit profile to restart as its defualt.

I don't believe this is a Windows error. Seems more like poor scripting Autodesk...Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 7

Is there a way to manually reset the profile?

Message 7 of 7
dr00p5

I have found a workaround for this..

Find your "Revit.ini" file; located in C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012\.. (the last folder obivously specific to your install version).

Make sure Revit is closed and delete this file.

When you restart Revit, the profile will be reset and should work good as new!!

(I think the actual issue has something to do with the 'Recent Files' memory, so by deleting this file it erases the recent file list and all goes back to normal)
 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report