Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Server problems with large files

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
nmysorewala
3231 Views, 24 Replies

We have setup server between offices and it works great for small files, but when I am trying to save large files I get the error "The Revit server you are trying to access is not
available due to a server or network failure. If you
have models from the Revit server open, save any
changes locally and contact your administrator.

Also if we try to lock the folder it says cannot lock folders.
not sure what the couse of this is.

BIMologist
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
ryan.duell
in reply to: nmysorewala

Do you know if you have any bandwidth or file size restrictions?  I know it is technically possible to restrict packet size or prioritize which packets get priority over the network [such as Outlook traffic, Revit traffic, etc] but you should verify this with your IT department if possible.

I would verify the steps in the post below to see if everything else appears normal:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/01/10-revit-server-troubleshooting-next-steps.html

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 25

I am having a similiar problem.  Here is what I can do:

1) I am able to download a large file as a local file from a remote central server, but I get two error dialogue boxes in the process ("This operatoin could not be completed because of a problem in the Revit server network.  Please try again.")

2) I am able to create a new central file on a central server if the file is small (I know 60+MB files aren't working, but haven't actually tested where the limit is).

3) I am able to modify a downloaded local file, and save the file back to the central server (I can then redownload the file from the central server and see my chages, but I get the same erros again (see item 1 above).

I am at a loss.  I have checked permissions and they all seem ok.  w3wp.exe is running with username "Network Service".  I checked the permissions of that username as well and it seems full control as well.

Again, I am able to save small files, just not big files, and I don't understand why I would get the error dialogue boxes...

Please help!

Message 4 of 25
ccollins

Perhaps it is a RAM / memory problem with the physical server(s) ? Check the specs on them.

I'm assuming they are all WinServ 2008 R2 64 bit.

Latency/bandwidth could also create a bottleneck which won't allow the Synch to execute.

How is your WAN configured? Firewalls and VPN tunnels? MPLS?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 25
c_hanschen

Hello,

The last post in this threat is quit old, that's suggests that al the problems with big files and Revit Server are solved.

BUT...

We, a middle size architecture company in the Netherlands, still have this problem, we are running the latest versions ofRevit sever, including the latest service pack and an bug fix.

We have an "Revit Local Server (RLS)" AND a "Revit Central Server (RCS)" within our own LAN, the files files of the partners are smaller, so they work fine, all our other project work fine, but our biggest Revit Project (file size approx 250MB) can't be saved to the Revit Server.

It does not matter if I connect to RLS or directly to RCS, both in our own LAN.

WHO KNOWS A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

Thanks in advance..!!

Chris hanschen

Cad Manager at LKSVDD architecten BV, Hengelo, the Netherlands

Message 6 of 25
ccollins

Try using CMD ipconfig /flushdns and renew to refresh the adapter settings.

The error message from your 1st post indicates a network connection problem; I doubt if the file size is the issue?

But, just to be sure:

how much RAM do you have on the workstations and server(s)?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 25
c_hanschen
in reply to: ccollins

yesterday, we have upgraded our server from 4GB to 8GB and from 1 to 2 processors.

We did a test and the results indicated a short of memory, but the problem still remains....

I will try your suggestion with "/flushdns", but I don't think it will help because the a machine reboot should do the same, right?

"I doubt if the file size is the issue?" -> all our smaller projects work fine, even from the same workstation

Thanks for your reply.

Chris Hanschen

LKSVDD architecten, Hengelo, The Netherlands

Message 8 of 25
c_hanschen
in reply to: c_hanschen

I made a screendump of the message, this message appears after the progressbar get's to 100%

I am connected directly to my Revit Central Server in our own LAN.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT......

Chris Hanschen

LKSVDD architecten BV, Hengelo, The Netherlands

Message 9 of 25
Alfredo_Medina

@lksvdd wrote:

yesterday, we have upgraded our server from 4GB to 8GB and from 1 to 2 processors.

Your server had 4 GB of RAM yesterday!? And you "upgraded" it to 8? and you are surprised that it still does not work?

Just my laptop has 8 GB. Therefore a server must have at least 12, or 16, or more!. No wonder you are having problems.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 25
c_hanschen
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

This is a virtual server for Revit Server only, no other programs or processes (non windows) run on this machine.

But, you have a point, so we will try again with more GB..!!

to be continued.....

Chris Hanschen

LKSVDD Architecten BV, Hengelo, The Netherlands

Message 11 of 25
nmysorewala

start a command prompt .

do a ping your other server

ping SERVERNAME -t

what are the latency numbers.?

should be time=

are they >100ms?

if so check the virtual server and see what network are you using

is it Bridged or NAT?

if NAT switch to bridged.

Are you using VMWARE? what version Player or Wporkstation.

check the handout for the virtual class

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=event_class&jid=1741923&session_id=9867

Connecting the Dots: Implementing Autodesk® Revit® Server for Multi-Firm Collaboration

what you need to see is how to configure the Virtual server in the handout. I explain how to use VMNETCFG.EXE and how to get it if you are using player

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2595791/CM5708-Connecting%20the%20Dots%20Implementing%20Autodesk%C2%AE%20Rev...

BIMologist
Message 12 of 25
nmysorewala

There is also another Hotfix Jan 20th 2012 I think. apply that as well.

BIMologist
Message 13 of 25

Mr. Mysorewala, for some reason, I can't open the handout of your class. I am logged in as a subscriber. Is there another way to access the document? I am very interested in this subject. Thank you very much.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 14 of 25
DarrenP

is there an error your getting?

i just tried it and i can get to it fine

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 25
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks, Darrenp... Well, I just get a blank screen, and no document... 😞

Message 16 of 25
DarrenP

it look like he also posted it in his drop box account

try the drop box link above and see if you can download the pdf

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 25

Ah, thank you! This one works!  Thanks!

Message 18 of 25
c_hanschen

thank you all for your reply..!!

Today, I have upgraded the server to 16GB, still the same problem.

But...

I made a test project en filled it with nonsense until the file was more dan 300MB.

It saved it to the Revit server without any problem..!!

So, something in this file seems corrupted, so it can't be saved to the revot server 😞

The good news is, I am closing in on the problem.

Monday I am gonne do some new tests, I think one of the families or the collaboration part might be corrupted.

First I am gonne do a test by detach from central and delete all worksets, enable the worksharing again (so it is completly refreshed) and try so save it to the revit server.

If the problem persists, I am gonne delete families (categorie by categorie) to see if the problem is caused by a corrupted family.

If somebody has an idea why this particular file can't be saved to the revit server, please tell me...

to be continued.....

Chris Hanschen

LKSVDD Architecten BV, Hengelo, The Netherlands

Message 19 of 25
c_hanschen

I want to thank everyone for participating in this discussion, the solution was found in removing the worksets (detach from central and discard worksets) and to reset the worksets.
The reason probably lies in the fact that this file has gone through multiple versions of Revit or perhaps that worksets in the model were no longer in use.
So, problem is solved...!!!!

Kind regards,

Chris Hanschen
LKSVDD architecten BV, Hengelo, The Netherlands

Message 20 of 25
Alfredo_Medina

Are you sure that removing the worksets was the 'solution'? It does not make sense to me, since the first step to save a file to Revit Server is to enable worksets, and the main reason to use Revit Server is to allow collaboration. What good is a file in Revit Server if it is not going to have worksets? Very strange...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report