Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Server 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MS_jkimc65
1260 Views, 5 Replies

Revit Server 2013

My current Architectural firm (Frim #1) teamed up with another Architectural firm (Firm #2) on a project. Firm #1 is hosting the Accelerator and Firm #2 is the Host for the Revit Server.  Each firm recently upgraded internet speed.  Firm #1 is accessing Firm #2 Revit Server via VPN Software (Sonic Wall), the accelerator is communicating with the Revit Server in the same manner.  I am under the impression that this is not the ideal way to have this set up (recommended by our local AutoDesk Resaler).  My understanding is that it should work.

I trust that the correct process in creating a local file in Firm #1 is to open the Central Model from Firm #2 and save a local copy.  In doing so then files are cached to the Accelerator and updated constantly?  Firm #1 opens local file and makes changes and so forth.  To see any changes that Firm #2 does Firm #1 sync's to central.  The Accelerator and the Host Revit Server is always in communication.  The total file size is nearing 100,000,000 bytes with 3 other links.

It seems with the links loaded in the central file the initial time to open the central file to create the local file is 40+ minutes  that the sync time is about 20+ minutes (which is time not well spent).  At this moment I am stumped!

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Kim Candelario

(801) 532-4422

j. kim candelario
method-studio, inc.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: MS_jkimc65

The WAN internet bandwidth and latency is probably the bottleneck.

What up/down speeds do the offices have?

Try doing a test using speedtest.net (or similar ) at both offices. Pay careful attention to latency times in milliseconds.

Anything under 20 ms average is good. Anything higher than 50 ms and you may experience performance issues such as the ones you describe. 40 minutes to open, create new local and load links is WAY too slow.

Even with large projects with several linked files averaging 80-250 MB ( true file size reported by Detaching from Central, not as posted by RS Admin Console), times should be 5-10 minutes. Anything more than 10 minutes is wasting valuable time and $. Do the tests, and if latency is high, report it to management and suggest investing in higher speed internet at both locations.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
Chris.Aquino

What are the ping times between the workstations in Firm 1 and the Host Server?

If you copy a file of similar size to and from the workstations in firm 1 to and from the Host Server using Windows Explorer, what is the throughput speed?

Where do the linked files live?

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 6
srobbins1977

Hi Kim,

You most likely increased your bandwidth and not your speed. As Chris is alluding to, your latency is your speed. Bandwidth = payload, and latency = speed. The biggest issue with Revit is the low latency it requires. When you get right down to it, Revit doesn’t use up much bandwidth.

To find out your latency, you will want to ping the Revit servers IP.  Revit doesn’t like latency that is above 30ms. If your latency is high you can find the route that your data is taking with tracert. It will show you where the bottle necks are.  It can help to move the Revit server to another location, or use web VPNs to change your route.  It’s a bit of experimenting. Unfortunately its cloud based acceleration you need.

Then ofcourse there are all the typical things that can be done to maintain a light weight model. Hope this helps along with the other great advice in these forums. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask.

Cheers,

~Scott

Message 5 of 6
MS_jkimc65
in reply to: ccollins

CCollins, I did a test using speedtest.net, here are the results - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420455212.png I also did a ping directly to the other office and here is a screen capture of those results So the latency doesn't appear to be an issue? As mentioned both offices upgraded internet speed. Kim Candelario A S S O C I A T E METHODSTUDIOinc. ARCHITECTURE | INTERIORS | PLANNING 925 South West Temple Salt Lake City, Utah 84101 www.method-studio.com P 801 532 4422 C 801 718 1527
j. kim candelario
method-studio, inc.
Message 6 of 6
Chris.Aquino

Network speed is one thing, but what I'm more interested in the speed when reading and writing a file across the network. This takes into account the overhead introduced by the servers themselves, and gives a better picture.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report