Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Server 2013 from an Owners view

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hydes
344 Views, 4 Replies

Revit Server 2013 from an Owners view

So as I initiate revit server to house our model to be workshared with the lead AE firm and our internal (owner) group aka me. I realized there may be something that troubles me and have yet to decide how I should handle this.

AE firm 1 creates our main campus model (1.4 Million sqft) and will use revit server for worksharing their contracted projects. The owner will use revit server to share our in house remodel project with AE firm 1. So far all is well. Now if we decide to use AE firm 2 for a project and I want to workshare the already existing model with them for their contracted project how do I get rid of the "project sheets" that have been created from the firs AE firm? Can I only share the Model and not project sheets during a workshared process, or will I need to delete the project sheets prior bringing on AE firm 2?

I don't know if this explains my problem enough but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Curious.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jason_S
in reply to: hydes

First, Welcome to the Forum.

I wasn't aware that you could share models with Revit Server outside your network, unless you save them out of Revit Server first.

If you want to send AE Firm 2, AE Firm 1's model without sheets, the only way I know of is opening AE Firm 1 model and deleting the sheets.

Hope this helps you.

Message 3 of 5
hydes

It is what I was thinking I would need to do, darn. More work for the owner I guess. Yes, you can use work sharing "revit server" with other networks. It's pretty much How Autodesk markets the program. There is some set-up involved and that's what I'm working through now with my IT group, and to be honest this is blowing their mind on how advantageous revit server could be. So they are very excited to get it up and running soon like I am.

Message 4 of 5
Jason_S

I have been trying to get Revit Server to allow external access for quite sometime now.  The only way I know of is a third party add on that is quite pricey.  Could you share a little more detail on that part?

Message 5 of 5
hydes
in reply to: Jason_S

Hi CaddMan13,

The only other item that I think you would need is "Windows server 2008" this is the backbone of the revit server application. Now it could be expensive if your network doesn't have it already. Our IT department already has it we just had to purchase another seat. I believe it to be about $2 or $3k for the additional seat I'm not sure since my IT department is going to absorb the cost. I'll try to have them print a list of the items/issues they've had to address and share it with you although it may be a little while since currently I'm healing at home from a surgery, so my communications are limited. Essentially the windows server 2008 allows other servers from remote AE groups etc, to communicate with the server that holds the model (your server). You will also need to be treated as an Admin for allowing access rights with the model. Again you need to have the windows server 2008 before you can even begin.

I'll try to dig up some more details for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report