Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
SMILES
Message 1 of 2 (285 Views)

Revit Sections

285 Views, 1 Replies
12-11-2012 01:41 PM

Revit sections....

I am used to Autocad Architecture where I typically detail out my sections.  I show the top and bottom plates, gypsum wallboard, beam sections, ACT tile layout, etc... 

In Revit, the annotation scale seems to be too small to make it look good.  I just get thick lines at 1/4" scale - looks sloppy.  I have detail set to fine, but it does not seem to do anything until I set the scale to 1-1/2"=1'-0" or greater.

Just curious how everyone else does it.  Are your sections just basic linework and you dont add components until you get into wall sections or details.

I have watched tons of videos, and read the tutorials but I have not yet seen anyone actually take a section from start to finish on the sheet.  Everyone just shows how you put the section mark down and it atuomatically creates a section view....  Thats great but there is a lot more to do in my mind, I think I know how to add the callouts and annotation but it does not seem very good if I am not pointing at the insulation or pointing to the beam, etc...

I hope this makes sense - any help would be appreciated!

Steve Miles

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 2 (277 Views)

Re: Revit Sections

12-11-2012 01:58 PM in reply to: SMILES

check this website out:

http://revit-detail.blogspot.com/

As for your question--Revit uses WYSIWYG ( what you see is what you get )--so, the "thick" lines you see when zoomed in are how they will plot/print. You can use Thin Lines view setting to see more fine detail when editing; but it will not print as displayed in Thin Lines view.

Just like text sizes and annotations adjust per view scale and plot accordingly.

Revit differs from Cad here--no more annotation plot scales ( 1/96 xp, blah blah....)

Do not add Detail Components at scales where they will not read or print properly--add them into enlarged details

with scale greater than 1/2" as a rule; or even larger--1", 1 1/2", 3", 6" etc.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.