Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit running extremely slow

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tgick
13247 Views, 8 Replies

Revit running extremely slow

I installed Revit 2011 & 2012, and both have been running extremely slow.  Previously, they were running slow AND crashing due to lack of memory, so I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit (from the 32-bit version).  That has helped the crashing, but not the speed.

What should I look at next?  I am running a Dell Precision T3500 Quad Core tower with 4GB of RAM and Intel Xeon CPUs.  My display adapter is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295.  

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: tgick

Depending on the size of your projects, in MB--you may still need more RAM.

Rule of thumb is compacted central file size in MB x 20 = amount of RAM required.

So-- 200 MB file x 20 = 4GB of RAM required TO RUN THE REVIT FILE, n.i.c. the Windows OS or other apps

which will require at least another GB of RAM.

cheers

Message 3 of 9
lrs
Explorer

I installed Revit 2012 on a Dell Vostro 3750 laptop with 4 MB of memory and experienced extremely slow performance that was unworkable. I received a message I was out of memory so I added another 4 MB but that didn't solve the problem. I went into "Options", and on the "Graphics" tab unchecked "Use Hardware Acceleration (Direct3d)". The problem was solved and the commands were instantaneous again when I clicked the mouse, not the 10-12 seconds of delay.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: lrs

Great, great, great. 

That really worked 🙂 

The graphics went a little different, with ticker lines, but it works really fast now. 

What does the setting actually do? 

Message 5 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

It disables some of the more advanced graphic controls, like anti-aliasing and ambient shadows.  And while it will make things seem faster, you'll be confused when you go to a 3D view one day, and can't figure out why you the soft shadows box is grayed out.  Having only 4 GB of RAM is pretty light.  I'd recommend at least 8, but 16 will be better in the long run.  RAM has way more to do with the speed than the processors.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Okay, I see. 

Even turning on the oridinary shadows makes it noticeably slower.

But things normally don't look very nice in Revit anyway 😛 

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 9
gretebrukstute

hey! i have the same problem, but then i saw this your message and it really helps to me! thank you so much!!;]
Message 8 of 9
zawani

where can i find "options" ?

Message 9 of 9
Jacob.westergaard
in reply to: zawani

HI,

You´ll be able to find Options at the upper left corner within Revit - shown below: 

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Jacob Westergaard

Autodesk Premium Support Team
AEC Premium Support Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report