Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit rotation issue in elevation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
diona.roland
1571 Views, 6 Replies

Revit rotation issue in elevation

I am having a issue with nested families and rotating in elevation view. I know revit has issues with this and I looked at some solution on the internet but have found nothing that works yet. 

I created the low detail lighting fixture model in revit and imported the high detail fixture from MAX as a .SAT file. Then created the Top and Bottom trunnion in revit. I imported all the families into one family.

Now I want to be able to rotate the fixture from the bolt in the trunnion so I can show the light fixture a 5,10, and 15 degrees. That is were the problem comes in. I would really like it if I could get 6 axis rotation on the fixtures I am creating.

I am open to any suggestion that can improve my family and family creation skills.  

I am using Revit 2014

File is to large to upload here. Link below will allow you to download the file from my google drive.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2OjtNwAEjDrdUdFYVdwdXdGcGM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I tried to see the family, but I don't have Revit 2014 in the machine that I'm using now. Just one comment: I see that the size of the family is like 18.5 mb. Usually, a complex family in Revit is around 2 mb. I assume this family is so big because it is made by putting together components that were created originally in 3dMax. Try to reconsider this workflow, maybe creating all the geometry in Revit, because that family as it now can slow down models very easily, especially if you place several of them in a project, and considering that you plan to add more features to it, like "6 axis of rotation", is going to grow even more.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7

Yes the file is large and the reason is because i have 6 of the same model at different tilt angles because i cannot rotate the family in elevation view. Also, I have an imported .SAT file from MAX that is very high detail. It is only visibly when the detail is set to fine. The low detail fixture I modeled in revit. So in the nested family i have 6 of the same low detail fixture set to different tilts and  .SAT high detail fixtures set to the same angles as the low detail fixtures.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2OjtNwAEjDrbWd0ZWV5b29qbWc/edit?usp=sharing

This has been my work around until I figuare out how to make revit let me rotate these fixtures in elevation view. This is a simply command. I do not understand why it is not work. Does any know how to get around this?

Alfredo thanks for the feed back.

Revit 2014

Message 4 of 7
diona.roland
in reply to: diona.roland

Alfredo,

I just came across this forum feed that you commented in:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Revit-Families-rotation-in-an-elevation-vi...

This sounds like the same issue that I am having. I am going to try his solution but your comment sounds like he might have left something out. Is there other kind of instruction like the one this guy wrote up? 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Message 5 of 7

Well, I had 2 complete documents about that, but, unfortunately, my blog is unavailable at the moment.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 7
diona.roland
in reply to: diona.roland

I would really like to read your blog. I have tried the instructions from the other blog. I had success with rotating the simple block but when I tried to use the same technique on my complex model I had no luck.

I created a simple model and here are my steps:

1) Generic model family

2) created the light fixture model with no voids and with "Always vertical" unchecked, "work plane-based" unchecked

3) right view - renamed the reference plane to - Tilt Plane - in OTHER Properties group "is reference" I have "Not a Reference"

4) I have nothing locked or aligned

5) Family saved

6) created New Family

7) right view - renamed the reference plane to - Tilt Plane - in OTHER Properties group "is reference" I have "Not a Reference"

😎 Created reference line from intersection of the two planes in the right view. I aligned the blue dot end point of the line to the "Tilt Plane" and "Center (Front/Back)

9) Assigned the angular dimension to the "reference line" and "Tilt plane"

10) Flexed the dimension and works

11)(I Think this is were my problem is) I imported the Family I created into this one and align the family to the "Reference line" then I get the constrain error

I think I am close to getting this to work but I am missing a step or two.

Message 7 of 7

Diona,

Please refer to this thread at the following link, and more in particular, message # 2. It contains links to other threads where there are some sample families.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Trouble-associating-family-with-preferred-...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue : in re-visiting that thread, I notice that, at the end, the user asks me to ignore all his messages in the future. Which is strange, because, if you notice, I was the only person helping him and answering each and every one of his questions in that thread, and I had also helped him in other several threads about the same subject. I wonder if he would have received all those explanations had I chosen to ignore his questions altogether from the beginning.

Anyway, that happens once in a while... I have noticed that this happens more with people who are new to Revit. They struggle to understand that this is not like AutoCAD, and that their AutoCAD experience has very little value in this other software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report