Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit over VPN

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
4823 Views, 1 Reply

Revit over VPN

How does Revit 2010 work performance wise over a VPN for remote users using
worksets? I know with VPN it is all about connection speed from the client
to the office. Just wondering if anyone has done work sharing over a VPN and
what was the results. What was your connection speeds and setup? Did the
remote users have to pull all content or did they also have it on the remote
computer?

thanks
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
rkitect28
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dustin,

This question may already be answered in another post, but I will give you my experience with it.

Performance wise, Revit 2010 has been pretty good to me for remotely accessing a local Revit workshared file.

I always use the computer in my office to perform the workload and just mirror the screen using a dial-up VPN with my home notebook. As long as you have a decent connection on either end, you are not slowing anyone else down in a worksharing environment anymore than you would if you sat in your own workstation. I found myself only losing perhaps 5 min out of the hour with very minor mouse lag, but perfectly tolerable when I have to do work from home. I can't speak numbers on connection speed but I can say that neither my home or office skimps on bandwidth, and my wireless connection at home is a sad 802.11a/b, which probably explains my slight lag at times.

I highly recommend against taking the local file with you and working on a machine that does not live in the office unless you have a really fast connection on both ends that you can guarantee will not get interrupted, or your file size is extremely small (perhaps even use Riverbed Steelhead technology or similar to create a faster cache of packets of info going back and forth, if you can afford it).

In my experience carrying the local file with you will slow everyone else accessing the file down because Revit constantly querys back and forth to the central file. File caching is still very expensive technology when you are dealing with large revit files.

All you need is for your IT professional to set up your VPN Server to give you access to the domain, set up a new VPN network on the machine that is traveling with the address and password for the company's server, then download and use a VPN client software to mirror your computer screen in the office.

Of course you have to have two computers in order to pull this off - one where the central file lives and one for the remotely connecting end user.

Joshua S.
The Freelon Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report