Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit on Mac

220 REPLIES 220
SOLVED
Message 1 of 221
Anonymous
105007 Views, 220 Replies

Revit on Mac

Hi why dont make  mac revit architecture I think is as important as the pc

thanks
220 REPLIES 220
Message 121 of 221
Nikki_Walt
in reply to: TempletonCarl

It all depends on the Mac that you are using, if you are using a Mac that has anything less than an i7 Processor and less than 16GB of ram then I wouldn't bother. 

I have a MacBook Pro and I run Windows 10 using Bootcamp, Revit & AutoCAD are installed, have both 2015 & 2016 versions and I have had absolutely no issues 🙂 As long as you make sure that you partition your hard drive with Bootcamp correctly and install a valid version of Windows 10 you should have no issues. When I installed AutoCAD & Revit I had no installation errors, which was awesome because anytime I installed software on my old Dell or HP I always had to troubleshoot the install once or twice. 

FYI My MacBook's specs:
 - MacBook Pro with Retina Display (mid-2015)
 - 15-inch
 - 256GB SSD
 - 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Kind Regards,
Nikki_Walt
BIM Consultant
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Certified Revit Professional
Message 122 of 221
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So basically is ab money from Microsoft ?
No clear answers make me wonder.

I'm question autodesk ab Revit software for Mac since 2 years with out result It's s lol
Message 123 of 221
Keith_Wilkinson

I doubt it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 124 of 221
Lolcocks123

You guys do realize that doing anything for Mac / Apple is a giant pain in the a$$.
That company is less of a software firm and more of a bull**** law firm.
Message 125 of 221
architects
in reply to: Lolcocks123

This is a stupid point to make, and does nothing to advance the debate.

Haven't you noticed that you're posting on an Autode$$k forum?

You're using Autodesk software and complaining about Apple for making money and being litigious?

If there is one company that could afford to develop its software for the mac, it's Autodesk, but they won't because they don't think they'll make enough money. This is actually a reasonable point to make (if not particularly customer-centric) but no-one from the company will come out flatly tell you that.

I'm using a 2008 Mac Pro which was expensive. However it's still working very well indeed. It's very fast, and it is likely to keep going for another few years yet.

I've never had any PC that has been usable for anything productive for longer than say 2 1/2 years.

My daughter's MacBook is 7 years old. It still works just as well today for the things she needed to do, as it does now with updated software.

Find me a PC that works like that. Don't forget also that you need to regularly maintain your PC, and update your antivirus and antispyware software.

It's funny that many of the same people that complain about Apple will drive a BMW instead of a Kia, and have no issues with that.

I'm confident that Revit is never going to appear natively on the Mac - ever.

There are cloud-based solutions like Frame which apparently work, although I have no idea how well.

This topic is going in circles.

It's worth posting useful information, but personal views  about the Mac platform are wasting everyone's time.

Message 126 of 221

mmm... not sure your post is really much better.

IMO this is a totally pointless thread but it's fun to watch. We all have a choice which computer we buy and what software we use. It's not like complaining about a missing feature or something that doesn't work right.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 127 of 221
Zeynoun
in reply to: architects

A good point. Well said

I have a friend, she has a 13* years onld mac! And still working with it !!!

Message 128 of 221

Apart from the Frame link you mean 😉

Message 129 of 221
architects

And my point that Autodesk are never likely to release a Mac native version for commercial reasons...

Message 130 of 221

Not looked at Frame tbh, but I agree, at Mac version is extremely unlikely.

Maimonides
Message 131 of 221
Zeynoun

Unfortunately..
Message 132 of 221
architects
in reply to: Zeynoun

I've tried Frame, and it does indeed work. Seems okay actually!

It's not exactly the snappiest response, but Revit is not known for that 🙂

It may well be fine for smaller models and students with more modest hardware and Macs, but it will most likely need a fast internet connection...

Message 133 of 221
eric.dempsey

What's going on Autodesk?  I've been waiting for Revit on the mac for years!

I recently visited an apple store and saw a very interesting demonstration of Graphisoft's BIMx on a iPad Pro with an apple pencil.  I've heard that Archicad is actually more advanced than Revit, and I'm beginning to believe it!

I'm an early adopter of Revit and a very experienced user.  My familiarity with the software allows me to draw quickly and freely.  I really don't have the time to learn how to use Archicad...  Although, I'm also a tremendous fan of apple.  I love how all of their products work together simply and seamlessly.  I don't want to have to choose between Revit & apple.  

No one likes having to use bootcamp / parallels to run Revit.  It's frustrating constantly rebooting or halving their system resources.  When will Autodesk listen to their customers?  Microsoft is an aging dinosaur and apple is cutting edge.  Someone at Autodesk should decide which they will be.

Can someone from Autodesk please give us their honest response and not some pre-scripted answer?  I would like to know what the company's reasoning is for such delay.

Thinking about jumping ship....

Message 134 of 221

What % of Autodesk customers do you think are currently Apple users, i.e. using Bootcamp or similar?

Maimonides
Message 135 of 221

I would guess somewhere near 100% of Autodesk customers use some type of apple product. (iPhones, iPad pro, iCloud, iTunes, Apple TV, Apple Watch, iMac, MacBooks, etc.)

Whether or not they are able to use their office workstation with autodesk software seems to be out of their control.....

Message 136 of 221

You're just evading the question.  Honestly what % - less than 10%?  Less than 5%?  Maybe less than 1%... Where's the business case?

Maimonides
Message 137 of 221

It's true a small percentages of offices use macs.  This was due in part to the cost of the machines and the lack of software availability.  The software and operating system is becoming much more important than the hardware.  I think most employees would opt for a revit capable macbook over a clunky pc.  

You will find a growing trend of people switching over to macs for their personal use.  The stats for new computer sales support this.  Macs are beginning to take over.  Just look at the declining sales from Dell. 

I use my macbook for work and have use bootcamp for revit.  It is very frustrating.  

My business case for Autodesk would be to get in on the front end of this trend.  Autodesk has been slow to innovate for far too long.

Message 138 of 221

I don't know the answer, but then again I don't need to.

There are two points here, first of all the actual business case. Both Vectorworks and Archicad have native mac versions, and they have been in business for a long time. If they weren't making money, they couldn't or wouldn't do it.

If Autodesk don't want to release native mac versions because it will reduce their profit levels, it's not at all the same as saying that it's not profitable.

This leads me on to the second point. It's not at all unreasonable for a company not to want to do something that reduces their profit margins. 

That's business. It's not great customer service, but we're all used to poor customer service at the expense of profits.

If Autodesk, the world's major 3D software vendor doesn't want to reduce its profitability by releasing mac-native software, it should say so.

Message 139 of 221

They still make up less than 10% of global computer sales. I wouldn't say producing a Mac version is innovation either. Personally I'd rather the bits that didn't work as required are sorted out first.

Don't get me wrong I've nothing against having Revit available for Mac's but for me and probably 1000's of other Revit users it's simply not a priority.

Maimonides
Message 140 of 221

It's just customer service, profitability and how a company prioritises these things.

What Autodesk (probably) don't know, is for how many of their competitors' customers, the choice of the operating system was a significant factor.

What however is clear, is that Autodesk as a company is a big hungry beast that needs to be fed. Profit margins need to be maintained for shareholders, who don't care in the slightest about customer service unless it significantly affect the value of their stock and their dividends.

If you have read the book "the Innovator's Dilemma" (very interesting book actually) it explains these things. This is why Autodesk seem to keep trying to invent increasingly more, and more annoying ways of screwing customers for more money for the same product. This annual subscription model for support (which in many cases, amounts to little more than unlocking their old software to run on a different machine) was introduced by them I think.

The current 'rental only' model wasn't, we saw it with Adobe, but Autodesk have seen tis as an opportunity to wring more money out of customers.

Therefore profit maximisation, in my opinion is why we don't or won't have Mac-native versions of the majority of Autodesk software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report