Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit LT

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Charles_Shade
840 Views, 19 Replies

Revit LT

Does Revit LT have the framing and material capabilities of Revit Architecture?

I'm looking for some more information than the Matrix provides.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

The brochure says that it has "Photorealistic Architectural Rendering Materials". To find out more, I suggest to download the trial and explore it.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 20

That kind of is my issue at the moment.

The learning curve for 30 days and being able to explore its possibilities seems a bit overwhelming.

Does it have the ability to do takeoffs as Revit Architecture does? Or is that part of the price break?

The Top Reasons brouchure indicates that this is possible.

I can quickly find out with the Trial but a third party answer would help without having to use precious Trial time.

Message 4 of 20
DarrenP
in reply to: Charles_Shade

this wikipage has a lot of info on revit lt: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit_LT/enu/2013/Help/0075-Revit_LT75/0888-Document888/0974-Schedule97...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 20
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

it does look like it does material takeoffs

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
Charles_Shade

Thanks for the additional info.

Are you all using Revit and do you like it?

Did you come from an AutoCAD background (I think so) or start with Revit?

Message 7 of 20

Now I am understanding better. I did not understand your comment about the 30 day learning curve, if it was just to see some features. Are you thinking of approaching Revit LT as your first approach into Revit in general?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 20
loboarch

Revit LT can do basic structural framing, but it can't do beam systems, which are a rapid way to layout a lot of structure at one time.

Materials are supported and you can do material takeoff schedules.  Renderings showing the materials of element is not possible except via cloud rendering tools.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 20

Yes. I am a residential CAD drafter that has been using LT since inception.

A builder that I work with hit me today with being able to have 3D capabilities and BIM.

Without having to go for the full blown Revit, Chief Architect, Softplan route I am hoping the Revit LT can get me there.

And I would like to stay in the Autodesk family. This community is second to none.

Message 10 of 20
Charles_Shade
in reply to: loboarch

The cloud rendering option is photo realistic correct?

Basic rendering of generic siding, brick, shingle, etc. can be done with Revit LT within the program?

Message 11 of 20
DarrenP

revit lt doesn't have in program rendering

you have to use the cloud rendering

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 12 of 20

Well, Charles, welcome to the Revit forum. I know you have contributed for a long time to the AutoCAD forums, but as you have seen, the request for BIM has come from your client. It had to happen, sooner or later.

In a certain office where I provided implementation some time ago, some users who were taking the class were reluctant to abandon AutoCAD, until the boss who was paying for the training had to get serious with them, telling them that the office was officially switching to BIM, and that those who did not want to switch had to leave. So it was "BIM or job". All of them chose the second option.

Another friend of mine, long time AutoCAD user, became a Revit fan overnight after losing the opportunity to do a large contract job for not knowing Revit/BIM. So, what did he do the next day?, start learning Revit. Today all his work is in Revit, and he is not going to do any more jobs with AutoCAD, after having used it for about 25 years.

In summary, go ahead, the change will bring good news for you. If you get stuck, there's always some good help around.

Message 13 of 20

Thanks.

I know its time to move on to another platform.

Message 14 of 20
DarrenP

you can go to the revit lt suite that includes autocad lt and revit lt

that way you dont lose your autocad lt if you decide to go back to it

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
Charles_Shade

That has been suggested to go thru a reseller to keep the two at this time.

I suspect the I will want the LT for some time to come.

Message 16 of 20

Go on over to the dark side Chuck! Revit LT was made for setups like yours and mine. I hope to spend my hard-earned next year's tax return on adding Revit LT to my software corral. It is intended for small office usage like this. Anyway, I think what is being said regarding rendering is, Revit LT will probably show the basic graphic display types, which are wireframe, hidden, and shaded at least. Revit has a fourth called Realistic, but I am not sure if LT has it. But to do a photorealistic render using LT, means sending it to The Cloud (free with subscription). You cna always ask your reseller directly 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 17 of 20
DarrenP
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

revit lt does have the realistic display type

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 18 of 20

Revit LT does have the 'Realistic' setting.

I was able to upgrade my copy of AutoCAD LT 2010 to the suite, which has AutoCAD LT 2013 and Revit LT 2013.  Using Revit at home to work on skills, create decent families that I don't have time to create at work, play around, and leverage a raise (yeah, I'll see how well THAT works...).  Ended up being about $1050, including 1 year subscription and getting the discs shipped.  I decided it was better than my planned TV purchase.  I recommend downloading Revit LT and playing with it.  I started with 0 training, and it took a little while before the light bulb went on for me, but it was a good move.

Just my $0.02...

Message 19 of 20

Thanks everyone.

Autodesk is asking me to Accept one of your answers as the Solution but they all are good.

Not sure that I want to choose one and it's a bit wonky to choose them all.

Message 20 of 20

If you want to mark a solution, I vote for your post,  marked as # 13. That's the key to the solution. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report