Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit LT shortcomings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
582 Views, 5 Replies

Revit LT shortcomings

I am a long time Autodesk CAD and Revit user.  For a while now I have wanted to start a freelance cad/bim service but have been put off by the extreme cost of purchasing the licenses needed.  Finally, I saw that an LT version of Revit was available and was at a reasonable price, so I purchased it....

I am a little baffled by some of the reasoning why some features were left out.  Particularly the conceptual and massing tools.  Why on earth were these features left out?  Does Autodesk think that these tools are worth the extra $5,000 to access these tools in the full version?  I can understand the decision to leave out analysis tools and even the internal renderer,  but things like this leave me scratchin' my head....

Are there any intentions to add these features and some of the others left out in future releases?  Or better yet, is there any intention of going to a flat monthly subscription fee for use of Autodesk products like revit?

A little clarity would be appreciated...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
M-Town_Drafter
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps they were just looking for things to disable, without making LT unusable.  So many things in Revit are essential, that I imagine it was difficult deciding.  Leave too much in, though, and people will stop buying the full version.

I haven't had the opportunity to play with massing much, so I won't miss it a lot.  I'm thinking rendering and point clouds will be the big things I'll miss.  Glad they didn't leave out walls... Heh heh...

All in all, I'm glad they released Revit LT.  I'll survive without the missing elements.  My poor copy of AutoCAD LT will get pretty lonely now.  I'll still use it for our astronomy club newsletter, though...

Message 3 of 6

I'm just getting started so steep learning curve here.

Andersen Window Studio - Is this interface an API and therefore nor usable in Revit LT?

Or more to the point and to be sure: Add-in Registration is another disabled feature?

Message 4 of 6

Charles_Shade wrote:Add-in Registration is another disabled feature?...

Correct. No third party API applications for Revit LT.

About why some features are left out, well, is understandable. It Revit LT had almost everything, it would be a competitor for the full Revit. You get fewer features for less money. If you want all the features, that costs more money. 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

Just part of the info gathering that I am doing. I completely understand the need to limit the software.

Though learning these things may make me decide to go with the Full Seat.

I'm not sure that currently it makes sense but fives years from now? I may be way ahead of the curve.Smiley Wink

My sophomore son is using Inventor in High School and I suspect Revit by the time he graduates.

I'll be a fossil soon enough.

Message 6 of 6

I guess yule have to get your Anderson windows the old fashioned way -- through Autodesk seek 😛

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report