Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit LT 2014 fatal error

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rpell1
2320 Views, 8 Replies

Revit LT 2014 fatal error

I have just installed Revit LT 2014. It has random fatal errors relatively quickly after opening any document, even the sample projects. I uninstalled and turned my firewall, AVG and zonealarm off and reinstalled. i turned off graphic hardware acceleration too and it still crashes relativity quickly. Sometimes it lets me change views and mess with object for five or so minutes but never much longer than that before a fatal error crashes it. Also the ribbons at the top of the screen get progressively more messed up visually or disappear completely the longer the program is open. I got the program two days ago and have not been able to use it yet effectively.

Anybody have any ideas?

I am tempted to completely back up my desk top and install the program on a totally clean machine but that would be a really time consuming hassle. The desktop is running win7 64bit pro 3.4ghz i7 hp workstation. So it should more than handle this program.

Annoyed and pissed.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: rpell1

Do you get any error message, or does the program just close?

What type of license are you using (standalone or networked, commercial or educational)?

What did you use as the install media (download or USB)?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
rpell1
in reply to: rosskirby

I am on a stand alone commercial license installed from the mailed CD. The error mesage is something along the lines of Fatal Error has occuried the application will be terminated would you like to save a recovery file. I will post an error log or screen capture this afternoon. 

Message 4 of 9
rosskirby

Before you go and uninstall everything, I would follow the advice here and make sure your graphics card isn't the culprit.  From the types of errors you're experiencing, that could very well be it.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 9
rpell1

No luck with the linked solution. It is not crashing as much after I disabled graphics hardware but the ribbon is still pretty useless and the "R" icon in the upper left corner does nothing once I open a file. so I basically can't do much except switch views on my old projects.

attached is a couple of screen shots. 

Message 6 of 9
rpell1

and after hours and weekend support do not have anyone authorized to help with Revit. Call back Monday. 

Message 7 of 9
rosskirby

Judging by those images, I'd say it's almost definitely a video card issue.  Can you tell me what your current video card and driver are?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 9
rpell1

That is what I suspected too. I had the stock video card AMD radeon 6450 1GB installed. I went and picked up a nvidia geforce gt640 2GB and installed it and reinstalled revit and everything seems to be working fine. Glad that is over. 

Message 9 of 9
rosskirby

Well, I'm glad you got your issue resolved.  It's too bad that it took a new video card to do it, though.  While I haven't had a ton of first-hand experience with bad video cards, I've seen enough posts here (and elsewhere) that suggest that it's usually the driver, and not the card itself, that is usually the problem.  Sometimes the driver needs to be updated to a more current one, and sometimes it needs to be rolled back to a previous version.  Just for future reference.

Have a good one.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report