Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit links display in masterplan

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Eduardo2012
1082 Views, 8 Replies

Revit links display in masterplan

I´m trying to achieve a very simple thing and just can't.   I hope the solution is also a very simple one.
In my individual model files´ level-1 floorplan I set the Reflected ceiling plan as an UNDERLAY with a hidden linetype override applied to roofs. This allows me to represent the hidden roofs outline in my floorplan. I've done this with several buildings each in its own file. It displays perfectly on each file individually.

But when these models are linked into the masterplan file, the hidden roof outlines dissapear. I've tried everything: underlays, view range, visibility graphics, etc with no success. After reading wikihelp pages I then tried overriding the graphics by host view, by linked view, custom, and there's just no way I can get the same visual representation that I have in my linked file. Can someone spot what I'm doing wrong? Help appreciated, thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DMartin80
in reply to: Eduardo2012

How do you set a reflected ceiling plan as an underlay on a floor plan? I didnt know that was possible. 

does Alfredo_Medina's comment to the thread below answer?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Reflecting-Ceiling-Plan-in-Plan-View/m-p/3...

Also i believe that when you link a file, it is purely the modelled elements links - and not the original veiw showing underlays and graphic overides as well. . . i could be incorrect though, if so i would like to know as well. . .

Message 3 of 9
Eduardo2012
in reply to: Eduardo2012

Hi DMartin80.

The way I do this is by selecting the level´s Reflected Ceiling Plan in the Underlay option. Then, in visibility graphics for that view, I set all element included in my ceilings as HIDDEN or DASHED lines. These elements can be ceilings, soffits, fascias, gutters, and Roofs, so you can even see the roof overhangs.

But it just doesn't work when I link the model. Your comment makes a lot of sense, perhaps it isn't working because linking doesn't take into account underlays.

Anyone has an idea on how to solve this?

Message 4 of 9

In project A's floor plan view, set underlay to show the roof. Use linework > overhead on the edges of the roof, then turn off underlay. Link project A into project B. In Project B's floor plan, go to VG > Revit links, select the link for project A, and change its display setting to be "by linked view" > the floor plan view from project A.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 9

Your solution makes a lot of sense Alfredo, I've tried it and it works. So using LINEWORK fixes the whole thing, how I wish these key concepts would be written in the wikihelp. Revit seems to be a disciplne full of secrets and crevices but it's not. It's just that the user's guide happens to be very poorly explained.

Message 6 of 9

It's there:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit_LT/enu/2013/Help/0075-Revit_LT75/1645-Tools_an1645/1697-Editing_1...

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 9

Wikihelp describes what feature "A" is about, what feature "B" and "C" are about, and it does it very well. In my opinion, it is impossible for any educational resource to cover all what can be done by combining "A" and "C", or "B" and "A", or "A" + "B", + "C". It's the user who discovers that, since this is impossible to figure out by the programmers or the technical writers. The combinations are endless, therefore, the help documents give you the A, B, C, and you have to write the novels.

Message 8 of 9

Alfredo, the wikihelp link you provide describes the linework for overhead projections allright. But it never relates it to linked model visibility. That's my whole point. When you are reading and searching the whole topic on LINKING REVIT MODELS, this crucial linework tool solution is completely missing.

I am old enough to have read plenty of user guides, in fact I am one of those persons who reads the user guide of everything I intend to use. And Revit's wikihelp is way too fragmented and definitely incomplete. Furthermore, all the years I used Autocad, believe me I could always solve my problems just by going through the built-in help.

Message 9 of 9

@Eduardo2012 wrote:

Alfredo, the wikihelp link you provide describes the linework for overhead projections allright. But it never relates it to linked model visibility. ..

That's my whole point. No book or manual is going to give you all the combinations that you can do with the features. It is good enough in my opinion that the features are explained. Imagine a book on families. No book is going to explain all the possible combinations you can do with families, it is simply impossible. What I need from the book is to give me an explanation about the concepts, and the workflow for doing the major actions. The rest is up to the user.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report