Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Installation Location

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
308 Views, 4 Replies

Revit Installation Location

I'm stumped on this one. When I installed Revit 6.1 (network version), the installation wizard allowed me to specify where I wanted Revit installed to, and where the content gets installed to. Rather than accepting the "C:\program files\Autodesk Revit 6.1", I installed to C:\Revit6 and the content to C:\Revit6\Content. However, when I attempt to install from the same CD (or the latest Revit build), on clean new computers, I don't get prompted where to install the program any more, so it automatically installs to the "C:\program files\Autodesk Revit 6.1" location, and the content goes to C:\Documents and Settings\ All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\etc... Any clues about why this is happened? How is it that I was able to install where I wanted to once, but not again? -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Mark McDonough wrote: > However, when I attempt to install from the same CD (or the latest Revit > build), on clean new computers, I don't get prompted where to install the > program any more, so it automatically installs to the "C:\program > files\Autodesk Revit 6.1" location, and the content goes to C:\Documents and > Settings\ All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\etc... Have these 'clean new computers' ever had Revit on them before, or are they being Ghosted from an Image that had Revit on it? for it sounds like something possibly in the registry already 'knows' where Revit's supposed to go. Just a guess. Jeffrey
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the response, By clean stations, I mean ghosted stations with a base Windows 2000 image, without Revit or much else on them. But I discovered the problem. The actual screen that allows one to specify where to install, is skipped over (both forwards and backwards). I called a dealer for support, and they confirmed the same situation, but for them, hitting the "back" button after the EULA agreement screen, brought them back to the skipped screen. Not so on my media. One try, out of about eighteen tries, I finally got to the right screen. After clicking on the I Agree button to the EULA screen... there is a delay, so I am aware that one has to wait for the next screen to appear otherwise one might accidentally skip past the installation location screen. However, the media seemed to have the skip built-in somehow, and I couldn't get around it. It could be the CD media as well. I have two copies of the CD, and on some computers, it would fail to launch any action when picking a selection from the "CD Navigator" interface... telling me the CDs might be having problems. Speaking with a tech support person, they also mentioned having difficulties with their CDs. I downloaded the latest build, and tried again from that package. When clicking on the "I Agree" to the EULA screen, it does delay before getting to the installation location screen, but at least I could get there. On the other hand, after installing from the latest downloaded build, after launching Revit for the first time, it wants to install the "Content" that's been selected. The problem is, when installing from the web package, it wants to download all of the content from the web, which is crazy given that the content was more than 300 MB, and there's no way to redirect that functionality to point to the CD to get the content instead (unless one installed from CD). I was finally able to get to the screen from a CD install. More than half a day wasted on this! Argh! -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "Jeffrey McGrew" wrote in message news:41647b62$1_1@newsprd01... > Have these 'clean new computers' ever had Revit on them before, or are > they being Ghosted from an Image that had Revit on it? for it sounds > like something possibly in the registry already 'knows' where Revit's > supposed to go. > > Just a guess. > > Jeffrey
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Mark, With regard to the CD installation, what you are seeing is not normal. Please contact Revit support or have your reseller do so. With regard to the web install, there is an option in Revit 6.1 to download the content once and keep it around for later reuse. This allows you to install on many other machines using the previously downloaded installer and content instead of hitting the web again. Try installing on a single machine and make sure the circled option is checked: The web installer files and the downloaded content cabs are kept locally in this directory: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 6.1\Download. If you copy that whole directory to a server on your network all you have to do is run the \\servername\sharename\RevitInstall.exe on each machine. The installer will find the previously downloaded content in the directories labelled "Content*" and use them instead of downloading from the web agian. Also, you'll be pleased to know that Revit 7.0 supports network deployment. We have changed the install options to allow you to automatically and silently install revit on your workstations. This should help many an IT and cad manager in roling out revit on many machines! thanks, matt jezyk product designer autodesk revit "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:416586dd$1_2@newsprd01... > Thanks for the response, > > By clean stations, I mean ghosted stations with a base Windows 2000 image, > without Revit or much else on them. > > But I discovered the problem. The actual screen that allows one to specify > where to install, is skipped over (both forwards and backwards). I called a > dealer for support, and they confirmed the same situation, but for them, > hitting the "back" button after the EULA agreement screen, brought them back > to the skipped screen. Not so on my media. > One try, out of about eighteen tries, I finally got to the right screen. > After clicking on the I Agree button to the EULA screen... there is a delay, > so I am aware that one has to wait for the next screen to appear otherwise > one might accidentally skip past the installation location screen. However, > the media seemed to have the skip built-in somehow, and I couldn't get > around it. > > It could be the CD media as well. I have two copies of the CD, and on some > computers, it would fail to launch any action when picking a selection from > the "CD Navigator" interface... telling me the CDs might be having problems. > Speaking with a tech support person, they also mentioned having difficulties > with their CDs. > > I downloaded the latest build, and tried again from that package. When > clicking on the "I Agree" to the EULA screen, it does delay before getting > to the installation location screen, but at least I could get there. On the > other hand, after installing from the latest downloaded build, after > launching Revit for the first time, it wants to install the "Content" that's > been selected. The problem is, when installing from the web package, it > wants to download all of the content from the web, which is crazy given that > the content was more than 300 MB, and there's no way to redirect that > functionality to point to the CD to get the content instead (unless one > installed from CD). I was finally able to get to the screen from a CD > install. > > More than half a day wasted on this! Argh! > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > > "Jeffrey McGrew" wrote in message > news:41647b62$1_1@newsprd01... > > Have these 'clean new computers' ever had Revit on them before, or are > > they being Ghosted from an Image that had Revit on it? for it sounds > > like something possibly in the registry already 'knows' where Revit's > > supposed to go. > > > > Just a guess. > > > > Jeffrey > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks Matthew, I have deployed Revit to our users, but will need to do the same for our San Francisco office. Thanks for the tips. Downloading 792.5 MB, even if just once, is a lot to ask, particularly given the frequent internet connection hiccups due to heavy traffic, DoS attacks, spam bursts, etc. Also, glad to hear that Revit 7 will incorporate network deployment technology. Do you have any advice on "patching" network installation with the latest Revit builds? It seemed that downloading the current build forced the download, if even just the one time, of a very large amount of data. It would be nice to simply apply just the portion that's really been updated. How does that work? -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "matthew jezyk [autodesk]" wrote in message news:41683130_2@newsprd01... Mark, With regard to the CD installation, what you are seeing is not normal. Please contact Revit support or have your reseller do so. With regard to the web install, there is an option in Revit 6.1 to download the content once and keep it around for later reuse. This allows you to install on many other machines using the previously downloaded installer and content instead of hitting the web again. Try installing on a single machine and make sure the circled option is checked: The web installer files and the downloaded content cabs are kept locally in this directory: C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 6.1\Download. If you copy that whole directory to a server on your network all you have to do is run the \\servername\sharename\RevitInstall.exe on each machine. The installer will find the previously downloaded content in the directories labelled "Content*" and use them instead of downloading from the web agian. Also, you'll be pleased to know that Revit 7.0 supports network deployment. We have changed the install options to allow you to automatically and silently install revit on your workstations. This should help many an IT and cad manager in roling out revit on many machines! thanks, matt jezyk product designer autodesk revit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report