Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit.ini generation when deploying Revit 2015 (2014)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BIMologist_
1140 Views, 4 Replies

Revit.ini generation when deploying Revit 2015 (2014)

I am developing the deployment script and part of the deployment is to Launch Revit so it generates the .ini file and copies the xml etc. I then try to copy the UIState.dat file as we have some customized tools on the QAT and want to display it below the ribbon.

start /wAIT "" "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2015\Revit.exe" "c:\Acadusercustom\Acadarch\Revit\2015\Settings\revitstartJournal.txt"

When Revit Launches it does what I tell it to in the script, it creates the KeyboardS.xml file

, shxfontmap, uistate.dat, omniclass all the files get generated for the current user, however what does not get generated is the Revit.ini file. If I launch Revit without the journal (Interactive mode), the Revit.ini file gets generated.

for the time being I am copying the ini file from the UserDataCache folder.  If I do that is there any downsides to it?

copy /y "%ProgramData%\Autodesk\RAC 2015\UserDataCache\Revit.ini" "%appdata%\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015\"

then I copy the UIstate.dat file and it does not vaporize the file.

The main reason to do this is to prevent Revit from blowing away the UIState.dat file. (thanks for the keyboardshortcuts.xml copy feature in 2015)

Questions:

1. how can I have Revit create the ini file using script?

2. for the time being I am copying the ini file from the UserDataCache folder.  If I do that is there any downsides to it?

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I am not that familiar with this kind of customization but I did some testing and I was able to genrate my Revit.ini

Here is the video

http://screencast.com/t/EoOP9v6Q

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 5

AA

Thanks for running through this . The only difference you did was change the location where you are putting hte startup.rvt file and the journal file? any other changes?

I am calling it from the batch file that would be the difference?

All files get generated except the revit.ini.

as a work around I have copied the ini file and that works. thanks for looking into it.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 4 of 5

It is weird that Revit.ini is not being generated.

Try to simplify the execution or reorder which command should be first.

Try to do a patch file but just launching revit without copying anything, does Reviti.ini get generated?

I think there is confusion between two executions that is canceling Revit.ini to be launched

If nothing works I guess as an alternative solution  

copy /y "%ProgramData%\Autodesk\RAC 2015\UserDataCache\Revit.ini" "%appdata%\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2015\"

It is the manual way to do so as what revit supposed to do automatically. There is no downstream to it

I Used to work with patch file very long time ago i need to refresh my mind and do some testing with it.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 5 of 5

Hi Nauman

I made a few attempts to reproduce this problem but in each case, the user's copy of the Revit.ini file was created immediately after a Revit session was launched. In my tests, I copied your revitstartJournal.txt and startup.rvt files to a C:\AcadUSERCUSTOM\Acadarch\Revit\2015\Settings folder and then ran the following at a command prompt:
start /wAIT "" "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2015\Revit.exe" "c:\Acadusercustom\Acadarch\Revit\2015\Settings\revitstartJournal.txt"

Out of curiosity, are you running this command from a command prompt or using another method? Also, what operating system are you running? For myself, I ran these tests on a Windows 8 system.

In regards to using the Revit.ini file from the UserDataCache folder, the only drawback I can foresee is that this is a static file that is not updated to reflect changes made in your Revit session. In the example you've provided, the following lines are added to the Revit.ini file after running your Revit start journal:
[AutoCam]
NavBarActiveZoom=1
[Misc]
SSOServer=0
[Recent File List]
File1=C:\AcadUSERCUSTOM\Acadarch\Revit\2015\Settings\startup.rvt
[Recent Workset List]
Config1=All

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report