Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit in different stages of planning

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kymis
481 Views, 2 Replies

Revit in different stages of planning

Hi, everyone!

We are doing one project with Revit 2013 as a pilot project and are wondering how this programme would fit in as a main tool for the whole line of designing. We have good experience in using Revit as a tool for sketching and doing raw models for visualizations which are later rendered with 3DS Max or some other rendering programme. But what about for the actual working drawings?

For what we have done so far, this programme doesn´t really fit in to our needs. What kind of experience have others had? The first major difficulty we had was with the drawing of lowered ceilings where certain things that had to be shown "behind" the ceiling but was not able to achieve so it had to be done in AutoCAD. Or was there some set-ups we had to do before even starting to do the actual designing? I am not sure if there were since I was not the one for doing so. Another thing was that we had to show holes on the floor for the mechanical design in floor layouts but the same floors had to be unvisible for some other drawings. The quick resolution was to hide the floors itself, which of course, resulted in other difficulties, but I guess there must be a smarter way to do it also?

So, I am just wondering, what others are thinking of Revit as a tool for the working drawings? What kind of experience have you had? Would this programme be a good / better choice for working drawings compared to AutoCAD / AutoCAD Architecture, for example? Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mjohnson
in reply to: kymis

I've used revit for several large projects, I'd say the program has the ability to do it all.  As far as your issues in the ceiling plan, and hiding the floor in one view, there are easy solutions.  Each viewport has its own Visibilty Graphics.  You can hide the floor in one viewport without affecting the rest of the project.  As far as the ceiling goes, you can make it transparent to show anything above the ceiling that also need to be seen.  

Let me know if you have any questions,

Hope I was helpful

Message 3 of 3
damo3
in reply to: kymis

What do I think of Revit as a tool for working drawings? Well put it this way, after using AutoCAD for the last 8 years, I can say with absolute certainty, I wouldn't touch AutoCAD with a 10 foot pole anymore.

Infact I do contract work and will only work on Revit projects. And the simple reason is, after using Revit for the last 2 years, I find AutoCAD, simply frustrating.

It takes longer to draw up plans in AutoCAD and after I have finished, I still have to box up elevations. Not to mention work out which sections I want... and don't even get me started on making inevitable changes and then coordinating all those 2D drawings. 

In Revit, I draw the plan in half the time and for my effort I get basic elevations and any sections and internal elevations I want at the placement of a tag. 

As a trainer and teacher of Revit, you will find Revit slow to begin with, and you probably don't have any families in the office library, so the first few projects will be time consuming to document. There are I suppose 'rules' to learn in Revit, which would address the problems you mentioned in your post quite quickly.  Once you have your head around the rules or constraints of the 3D environement and an understanding of component relationships, picked up a few work arounds, it comes easy. And as I say to everyone (mainly directors) when you first started using AutoCAD, everyone at one point or another said to themselves... "I could draw this way faster on the drawing board"... 

I would strongly advise, if your office can afford it, getting in a Revit Professional once or twice a month to assist you with the first couple of projects. Start with a small team, the strongest and keenest documentors and once they are equipped, share the information with other staff as they come on board. This method will be more cost effective in the long term. 

Stick with it. Good luck! 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report