Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit IFC Export Coordinates

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jonasoverby
9008 Views, 8 Replies

Revit IFC Export Coordinates

Hello,

I really need some help on this one!

I have modeled a project using an old coordinate system. The project has then decided to change to a newer coordinate system that lies 500 mm above the old system in the z-direction.

To have my DWG exports appear in the new system, I solved it by using Specify Coordinates at Point in an elevation view, and just typed in 10500 instead of 10000 when selecting one Level. When I export to DWG i used Shared Coordinates, and the DWG:s land in the new system. All fine.

Now, when I export to IFC I can't seem to make it export correctly. I read the article at:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/ifc-export-with-shared-or-project-coordinates-using...

I created a new Site and made it Current. Then I tried to move the the Survey Point and The Base Point. Not at the same time though. For example I moved the Survey Point when clipped, exported to IFC, chose undo of the move, unclipped the Survey Point, moved it, chose undo and so forth. One test at a time. I managed to move the IFC in the x och y directions, but not in the z direction. I used IFC Export UI for Autodesk Revit 2014 v2.8.0 when exporting to IFC.

I would really appreciate some help on this!

Below are the results of my trials:

Moving Survey Point only in the  z direction (Clipped) ---> No difference

Moving Survey Point only in the  z direction (Unclipped) ---> No difference

Moving Project Base Point only in the  z direction (Clipped) ---> No difference

Moving Project Base Point only in the  z direction (Unclipped) ---> No difference

Moving Survey Point only in plan (x and y directions) (Clipped) ---> IFC model is moved in plan

Moving Survey Point only in plan (x and y directions) (Unclipped) ---> No difference

Moving Project Base Point only in plan (x and y directions) (Clipped) ---> IFC model is moved in plan

Moving Project Base Point only in plan (x and y directions) (Unclipped) ---> No difference

Moving Survey Point only in the  x, y and z direction (Clipped) ---> IFC model is moved only in plan

Moving Survey Point only in the  x, y and z direction (Unclipped) ---> No difference

Moving Project Base Point only in the  x, y and z direction (Clipped) ---> IFC model is moved only in plan

Moving Project Base Point only in the  x, y and z direction (Clipped) ---> No difference

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mekholm
in reply to: jonasoverby

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue.

I have two different revit files with content linked in a third empty revit file.

When I export the content files seperately they align perfectly horizontally, but not vertically. And nothing I do seems to change this.

So I was wondering if you solved this issue somehow?

Regards,

Martin

Tags (3)
Message 3 of 9
jonasoverby
in reply to: Mekholm

Hi,

I solved this issue with a 3rd party plugin called Naviate IFC. It has support for exporting IFC:s with the shared coordinate system as basis for the z values. It's an option called "Include IFCSITE elevation in the site local placement origin".

I believe this option is also availabe through the IFC Exporter for Revit for Autodesk, available at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ifcexporter/

Good luck!

/Jonas

Message 4 of 9
Mekholm

Hello,

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.
I tried exporting with "include IFCSITE..." using both IFC exporter for revit and Naviate IFC but it didn't change anything.

When I export to .dwg I get the option to use either Project Internal or Shared coordinates. That works like a charm.
But when I export to ifc I don't get an option like that, so I have no idea where the export takes the position from. It seems completely random.

Regards,
Martin
Message 5 of 9
jonasoverby

When you are doing the export, if you move the survey point in the z direction before the export, does that do it? As far as I know, Revit uses the Survey point for the current Site when exporting to IFC.

Message 6 of 9
Mekholm

Moving the survey point in z-direction doesn't change anything.
Regardless of the "Include IFCSITE..." being ticked or not.

For clarification:
I use navisworks to open up the model, then append an adjacent model to check if they align. Which they don't do yet.
Message 7 of 9
jonasoverby

Then I'm out of ideas, sorry. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
Mekholm

Shoot!
Well thanks a lot for your help anyway! 🙂

If I ever find a solution I'll post it here.
I'm also in contact with our cad-support in search of a solution...

Thanks again!

//Martin
Message 9 of 9
chenfei.chen

"You can open IFC files in a Text editor (I just use notepad). 

In the file there will be a line like (use the find tool in your editor to location the IFCSITE heading, it will be in a different location in your file most likely):

#610=IFCSITE('3EuQW2ppjFFu7PKxGoCwn0',#42,'Default',$,'',#609,$,$,.ELEMENT.,(42,21,30,344238),(-71,-3,-35,-194702),-0.,$,$);

We look at the 6th argument,  #609, which points to another line like this:

#609=IFCLOCALPLACEMENT($,#608);

We look at the 2nd argument, #608, which in turn points to a line like this:

#608=IFCAXIS2PLACEMENT3D(#3,$,$);

In this simple case, the #3 line is

#3=IFCCARTESIANPOINT((0.,0.,0.));

Which means ‘use the internal Revit origin’.  In a case using shared coordinates, that #3 will be some other number.  To fix it, change this other number in #3.

What do you think?  Is this useful?  Love to hear your comments about this. from http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/ifc-export-with-shared-or-project-coordinates-using..."

Change the Z number in #3 to elevation height of Origin point related to Survey point.

It do work!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report