Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Good or Bad!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
SeattleCADD
1711 Views, 5 Replies

Revit - Good or Bad!

Hello,

My name is Dennis and i would like to ask your opinions about this. We are currently having issue with consultants about the common standards using between Autocad and Revit. We are an AutoCAD and C3D shop and we want final files in AutoCAD.

1) Revit can not use Autocad Symbols blocks such as detail/section, north arrow, scale bar...ect. They use its own symbols - My question is: Is there anyway they can import autocad blocks as their symbols?

2) When they export drawing from Revit to AutoCAD, the drawing will be in model space? which scale 1: 1 or paper scale?

3) Coordination: We want the Revit shop to use World Coordinate system, but they said they could not???? they said that Revit has their own coordinate?

That's all for now. I still have more questions i want to ask and get your opinion from Revit experts.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@SeattleCADD wrote:

1) Is there anyway they can import autocad blocks as their symbols?

It is technically possible, but not necessary or recommended. Revit users should create their own symbols.

2) When they export drawing from Revit to AutoCAD, the drawing will be in model space? which scale 1: 1 or paper scale?

If they export to dwg from the views, you receive their views in model space in 1:1 scale. If they export from the sheets, you receive a drawing that opens in paper space, with their views in viewports at their correspondent scale, and if you go to model space you will the see the views at 1:1 scale.

3) Coordination: We want the Revit shop to use World Coordinate system, but they said they could not???? they said that Revit has their own coordinate?

Yes, the "World Coordinate System" is an AutoCAD term that does not exist in Revit. There are 2 good methods to align drawings: Origin to Origin, and Shared coordinates. The simplest one is origin to origin. Your 0,0 is your origin, which coincides with Revit's default center point. There is a lot more to learn about all this, though. This is just some basic information. I hope it helps.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6

Thank you very much for your helps!

1) Is there anyway they can import autocad blocks as their symbols?

It is technically possible, but not necessary or recommended. Revit users should create their own symbols.

Question: I don't want to see two different looks of symbols in one drawing set. That's why I want all three consultants to use the same symbols blocks. Is there any other way you recommend?

2) Template: Can Revit use the project template which has the title block?

3) Font: Our title block has a special font XXX.shx Can Revit use this SHX font or just only true type font?

Thank you again,

Dennis

Message 4 of 6

You need to make some compromises and allow some differences in the graphics. For some symbols and fonts, etc. is not going to be identical between CAD and Revit. In the CAD environment, graphics take sometimes an exaggerated importance. In BIM work, what matters most is the bi-directionality, the data, the coordination, much more than the appearance of symbols.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

I agreed with you only some degrees, but think about our end. If we recevie  a final AutoCAD product and it is a broken piece without attribute, coordinate, different appearance thru drawing set...then it is not accepted?

I allow consultant to use Revit for their own benific but I want the final product at least to meet some of our CAD standards.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I hope there should be more connections bwt AutoCAD and Revit in term of symbols, text fonts, and others.

Message 6 of 6
jmcintyre
in reply to: SeattleCADD

Regardless of the software used, if you are their client then you should be demanding the output files appear in a certain way. If using revit is an advantage for them then they should be editing the output acad file to suit your needs, otherwise they should be using acad.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report