Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit file link problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sitaramaiah
759 Views, 4 Replies

Revit file link problem

Dear All 

When we linked the revit file into project then the loaded families( floor based template ) are not placing onto revit linked file 

Families are asking a HOST is needed 

Is they any other way to load the families onto linked files 

Thanks 

Sitaramaiah

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: sitaramaiah

That is why most people do not use ceiling/wall/floor based families. You only can host face based families on linked files.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: sitaramaiah

You will either have to redesign such a Family as Face-Based/Work Plane-Based or convert the Family using the procedure detailed below.

Many Families that are available for download are built to specifically host to a Wall, Floor, or Ceiling Element in a Revit Project. The problem with this becomes apparent when a Linked Model is involved - these Families CANNOT host to an Element within a Link Model. Therefore, Families that are hosted to a Face are necessary. Any of these element-specific Families can be converted to Face-Based with the following procedure:

1. Create a new Project and draw a Wall, Floor, or Ceiling - which ever element is an appropriate host.

2. Load in the desired Family and place one instance of each Type on the host Element. Exclude Types you do not wish to retain.

3. Save this Project somewhere temporarily and close it. Start another new Project.

4. Link the previous Project file into this one. The placement of the Linked Model is irrelevant.

5. Go to Collaborate tab » Copy/Monitor Select Link. Select the Linked Project and use Copy to create a copy of each of the placed Elements.

6. The Family is now converted to Face-Based and may be saved/exported from this Project to a separate file for later use.

Note: Only certain Categories are available for Copy/Monitor. If the desired Family is not of one of these, you can edit the Family prior to this process and temporarily change it to an applicable Category and then change it back when completed.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
sitaramaiah
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for solution 

After trying i will get back to you 

Thanks 

Sitaramaiah

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey:

Just tried this out (while documenting the procedure for our office standards, with proper attribution, of course), and found that even if I only place one instance, of one type, when I copy/monitored that instance, all of the types for that family came through.  Have you found that you need to include instances of every type you want, and to copy/monitor each type?  In my test, I was using Revit 2015 R2, with UR 5 applied [Build 20141119_0715(x64)].

The object-hosted source families I was using in my test remained in the location where they were when originally placed in the first project file, so Revit would have been able to reference those files (if necessary) when copy/monitoring the family via the linked file in the second project file.  I did not try moving the source family file to see if that made a difference.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report