Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
billyb
Message 11 of 17 (571 Views)

Re: Revit family - light on sloped ceiling

01-02-2013 10:31 PM in reply to: billyb

Wait a minute!!! So, this process worked for the sloped ceiling, but it doesn't work for a horizontal ceiling. Is that right??

I figured it should associate itself with whatever ceiling is being used.

I dealing with an auditorium that has two different sloped ceilings and two different horizontal ones. So, why would this work for one ceiling and not another?

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 12 of 17 (563 Views)

01-03-2013 04:28 AM in reply to: billyb

billyb wrote:

Wait a minute!!! So, this process worked for the sloped ceiling, but it doesn't work for a horizontal ceiling. Is that right??

The same family should work well on a flat ceiling or on a sloped ceiling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
billyb
Message 13 of 17 (553 Views)

01-03-2013 06:51 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I agree. I am seeing two different previews. One with the light's parabolic grid (on sloped ceilings) and one with diagonally crossed lines (flat ceilings). I suspect that when I place the fixture the software is 1) not seeing the ceiling as a ceiling, or 2) missing the compound ceiling grid, though it highlights it. 

I figure it has to be me because, with the help I've received here, I've resolved some of the issue. A fact for which I am grateful to say the least.

Thank you,

Bill

Bill Bogan
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 14 of 17 (539 Views)

01-03-2013 08:22 AM in reply to: billyb

The important thing is that the light fixture is really hosted by the ceiling. The representation of the fixture in plan view will be different for flat and sloped ceilngs, yes, because for a flat ceiling the symbolic lines of the light fixture (the "x") will be visible, while in the plan view of the sloped ceiling, those symbolic lines of the fixture will not be visible.

Also, to see the light fixture on a plan view of a sloped ceiling, you might need to lift the top plane and cut plane of the view range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
billyb
Message 15 of 17 (531 Views)

01-03-2013 08:40 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Great! Thank you Alfredo!

Bill Bogan
rcaddell
Message 16 of 17 (323 Views)

07-11-2013 03:01 PM in reply to: billyb

Same thing happened to me, using Revit 2014.  Crashed when I tried to place it on a face.  FYI

jerudin
Message 17 of 17 (32 Views)

08-09-2014 03:00 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I am having problems keeping my recessed cans and chandelier attached to my ceiling when I slope it.  I have read some other posts about this that recommend going into Properties for the Family.  The "Lighting" Family?  Even when I do that I have to speify the luminaire and the Properties catagories do not correspond to the one that it is recommended that I click on.  I am a student and about to throw in the towel on this.  Any help woill be greatly appreciated!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.