Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit family - light on sloped ceiling

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
billyb
28225 Views, 19 Replies

Revit family - light on sloped ceiling

I read a 2009/10 thread, "Rotating lighting", describing how to work around the problem of family lighting fixture members not rotating. I would hope there is a better solution today.

I simply want to place a lighting fixture - std 2x4 flourescent, on a 7 deg sloped ceiling. The axis of rotation is the long run of the light fixture. Is this not possible in Revit 2013?

Or, do I have to dredge up the work around from 3 releases ago and attempt to discern how to make it work?

It seems like I should just be able to set the family to use a work plane-based assignment and then place it with the correct work plane active. That is not happening. The light fixture doesn't want to rotate the 7 degrees to align with the work plane.

Thanks,

Bill

Building Design Suite

Alienware M17X R2

Intel i7 64-bit

Crossfire ATI Radeon HD5870 (2 GB)

8GB RAM

500GB HD

Blue-Ray DVD

Win 7 Home Premium SP1

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ccollins
in reply to: billyb

You will probably need to use a face-based light fixture family. The standard flor. fixture is ceiling-hosted, and may not work correctly on a sloped ceiling?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 20
billyb
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks for that helpful bit of information; it makes sense.

Being somewhat of a Revit novice, does that mean I have to create a new faced based version, or does Revit have such in its library?

Guess I need to study up on the Revit family thing.

Much appreciated,

Bill

Bill Bogan
Message 4 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

Both ceiling-based and face-based lighting fixtures can be placed on sloped ceilings. Either type of fixture will align itself to the slope of the ceiling.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 20
billyb

Then, my only conclusion is that the family object and I use different terms and concepts for relating to a plane because when I select the plane for the object to go on it gets offset (apparently a feature of the family) and is parallel with the floor regardless of the fact that I have the sloped reference plane selected.

I imagine that it is my lack of familiarity with families that is causing me this issue. Nonetheless, one would expect this to be more straightforward.

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Bill

Bill Bogan
Message 6 of 20
ccollins

In the family Properties, see if "always vertical" is checked. and also "work plane based".

If so, uncheck "always vertical" and see if it will behave correctly on a sloped ceiling.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

It might be something in the family that you are using. Please try with "Ceiling light - linear box.rfa". This family is ceiling-based, and it can be placed on a sloped ceiling.

Another good option is, if possible, is to use families from the MEP folder of the Lighting fixtures folder in the library (If you have that folder, of course). It is available in Revit MEP or in Revit 2013 One Box. Those fixtures are face-based, and are basically the same fixtures, but with a different kind of host.

1-2-2013 11-59-36 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 20
billyb
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Attached is the definition I have...

A Troffer light based on the Celiing light - linear box.rfa...

Perhaps my error is selecting a workplane instead of the ceiling when placing it. However, if I attempt to place it on a face, I get an error and a request to save everything into a recovery file.

Bill Bogan
Message 9 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

From the family, from the properties window, uncheck "Work-plane based". Load into project. Now the ceiling will be the only valid host.

Message 10 of 20
billyb

Thanks... that last piece did the trick!! I very much appreciate the responses and assistance and if ever I can return the favor I shall.

Bill Bogan
Message 11 of 20
billyb

Wait a minute!!! So, this process worked for the sloped ceiling, but it doesn't work for a horizontal ceiling. Is that right??

I figured it should associate itself with whatever ceiling is being used.

I dealing with an auditorium that has two different sloped ceilings and two different horizontal ones. So, why would this work for one ceiling and not another?

Bill Bogan
Message 12 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

@billyb wrote:

Wait a minute!!! So, this process worked for the sloped ceiling, but it doesn't work for a horizontal ceiling. Is that right??

The same family should work well on a flat ceiling or on a sloped ceiling.

Message 13 of 20
billyb

I agree. I am seeing two different previews. One with the light's parabolic grid (on sloped ceilings) and one with diagonally crossed lines (flat ceilings). I suspect that when I place the fixture the software is 1) not seeing the ceiling as a ceiling, or 2) missing the compound ceiling grid, though it highlights it. 

I figure it has to be me because, with the help I've received here, I've resolved some of the issue. A fact for which I am grateful to say the least.

Thank you,

Bill

Bill Bogan
Message 14 of 20
Alfredo_Medina

The important thing is that the light fixture is really hosted by the ceiling. The representation of the fixture in plan view will be different for flat and sloped ceilngs, yes, because for a flat ceiling the symbolic lines of the light fixture (the "x") will be visible, while in the plan view of the sloped ceiling, those symbolic lines of the fixture will not be visible.

Also, to see the light fixture on a plan view of a sloped ceiling, you might need to lift the top plane and cut plane of the view range.

Message 15 of 20
billyb

Great! Thank you Alfredo!

Bill Bogan
Message 16 of 20
rcaddell

Same thing happened to me, using Revit 2014.  Crashed when I tried to place it on a face.  FYI

Message 17 of 20
jerudin

I am having problems keeping my recessed cans and chandelier attached to my ceiling when I slope it.  I have read some other posts about this that recommend going into Properties for the Family.  The "Lighting" Family?  Even when I do that I have to speify the luminaire and the Properties catagories do not correspond to the one that it is recommended that I click on.  I am a student and about to throw in the towel on this.  Any help woill be greatly appreciated!

Message 18 of 20
cwinches

This solution does not work for me. Is there another method for having light fixture families host to sloped ceilings? I had originally tried beginning with a face based family and then changing the category to lighting fixture. While this allowed the model to host to the sloping ceiling, it fails to display correctly when cut (generic model glitch?). If there is a correct method please advise. It's weird that this is not more automatic. Thanks.

Message 19 of 20
m.voss.alvine
in reply to: cwinches

try this.

http://dev.augi.com/articles/detail/hope-for-the-slope

Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional

remember to 'accept as solution' if this helped
Message 20 of 20
AhmadAWR86P

for those creating your own light fixtures...I fixed it by unchecking the "always vertical" check box within the family properties panel under "other" this allowed the light fixtures to slope with the ceiling

AhmadAWR86P_0-1680019211226.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report