Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Family Exports to Other Formats...

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
davidwilliamedwards
5686 Views, 4 Replies

Revit Family Exports to Other Formats...

When exporting Revit Families to other formats, why are the curves in Sweeps, Blends, etc. tessellated instead of just a simple Sweep? On my small objects this creates awful results. 

I've attached screens shots of a simple Revit sweep, it's conversion to DWG and then the preferred conversion as shown in Sketchup. 

I've even tried the route of exporting SAT files from Revit and then using MESHSMOOTH in AutoCAD, with better but this unexpected results. This type of conversion seems to be prevalent across several Autodesk products, but to me it doesn't make sense and produces poor results.

Any advice or workarounds would be appreciated. 

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can you attach an actual Revit family and let me know what format you are exporting too? Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 5

Here's the Family I was testing and a DWG conversion that shows the meshes. 

I just understand the need for tesselation on a Revolve or Sweep. I'm assuming this is coming from some conversion Library Autodesk has licensed because I see this conversion type coming from several products (Max, Maya, AutoCAD, et al). I get a very similar result by outputing to SAT and doing the conversion to DWG using Max or AutoCAD (Max is somewhat better).

A more uniform conversion requests a line seqment length and then uses that for the granularity of the curves and thin that profile is simply lofted or lathed. 

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 4 of 5

This is a known issue that development is working on. I'm not sure when the changes will be made of released. In my test file changing the Modify DWG/DXF Export Setup from Polymesh to ACIS solids under Solids seems to give different/better IMO results. I have attached your case to the internal case and hopefully this will be addressed in near future.

Thanks again,

Message 5 of 5

Yes, by using a SAT file export, it creates very nice solids. However, my application requires meshes. 

Thanks for your support...

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report