Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit exports only one frame of walkthrough

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
evansTSMR
2572 Views, 6 Replies

Revit exports only one frame of walkthrough

I've created a walkthrough in Revit 2014. I exported it to an .avi file at 24 fps, but I didn't like the result because the motion seemed too fast. So I changed the walkthrough from the default 300 frames to 600 frames. Now, when attempting to create another .avi file,  Revit refuses to export anything except the first frame of the walkthrough. In the export dialog, "All frames" is selected by default, the "From" and "To" boxes both say frame 1, and the length is shown as 00:00:00. If I select the other radio button to export a range of frames, the little arrows next to the boxes are still gray. I can type "600" in the "To" box, but clicking any other button in the dialog, including "OK," changes the "600" back to "1." And even if I type "600" in the "To" box, the length is never shown as anything other than 00:00:00. Clicking "OK" will create an .avi file, but one that contains only one frame of the walkthrough (the first one).

If I go to the "Edit Walkthrough" ribbon, and click on "Previous Key Frame" until I get to the first one, and then click "Play," the entire walkthrough plays as expected. It just cannot be exported.

I tried going to the "Walkthrough Frames" dialog, unselecting "Uniform Speed," and entering "24" in the frames per second box, but this had no effect - Revit still will not export the walkthrough.

I checked under "Options" and hardware acceleration is on.

Am I going to need to delete and recreate the walkthrough? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks,

Michael Evans

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ennujozlagam
in reply to: evansTSMR

maybe this can help.

To export a walkthrough:

1. Open the walkthrough view.
  2. Click ExportImages and AnimationsWalkthrough.

The Length/Format dialog opens.

3. Under Output Length, specify:
    • All frames to include all frames in the output file(s).
    • Frame range to export only a specific range of frames. For this option, enter the frame range in the entry boxes.
    • Frames/second. As you change the number of frames per second, the total time automatically updates.
  4. Under Format, specify Model Graphics Style, Dimensions, and Zoom to the desired values.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Accept the default output file name and path, or browse to a new location and enter a new name.
  7. Select the file type, either AVI or an image file (JPEG, TIFF, BMP, or PNG).
  8. Click Save.
  9. In the Video Compression dialog, choose a video compressor from the list of compressors you have installed on your computer.
  10. To stop recording the AVI file, click Cancel next to the progress indicator at the bottom of the screen or press Esc.

Editing a Walkthrough Path

1. In the Project Browser, right-click the walkthrough view name, and select Show Camera.
  2. To move the entire walkthrough path, drag the path to the desired location. You can also use the Move tool. See Moving Elements with the Move Tool.
  3. To edit the path, click Modify Cameras tabWalkthrough panelEdit Walkthrough.

You can select which control in the path you want to edit from the drop-down menu. Controls affect the position and direction of the camera.

Dragging the Camera to a New Frame

1. For Controls, select Active Camera.
  2. Drag the camera along the path to the desired frame or key frame. The camera snaps to key frames.
  3. You can also type the frame number in the Frame text box.
  4. While the camera is active and located at a key frame, you can drag the target point of the camera and the far clip plane. If the camera is not at a key frame, you can change only the far clip plane.

Changing the Walkthrough Path

1. For Controls, select Path.

The key frames become controls along the path.

2. Drag a key frame to the desired location.

Notice that the value in the Frame text box stays constant.

Adding Key Frames

1. For Controls, select Add Key Frame.
  2. Place the cursor along the path, and click to add a key frame.

Removing Key Frames

1. For Controls, select Remove Key Frame.
  2. Place the cursor on an existing key frame on the path, and click to remove it.

Displaying the Walkthrough View when Editing

As you edit a walkthrough path, you may want to see the results of your changes on the actual view. To open the walkthrough view, click Modify Cameras tabWalkthrough panelOpen Walkthrough.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7
evansTSMR
in reply to: ennujozlagam

ennujozlagam,

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps my OP wasn't clear. The difficulty occured at Step 3 of the directions you listed, which state "As you change the number of frames per second, the total time automatically updates." Revit had this locked at 00:00:00 and never updated it, regardless of what was typed in the other boxes in the dialog.

However, I was able to get Revit to export the entire walkthrough, by adjusting the lighting settings. I had placed the sun at a specific date and time. This confused Revit into thinking it was exporting a solar study, rather than a walkthrough (even though "Walkthrough" was selected on the "Export" flyout). Since there was not a range of time defined in the sun positioning (start and end hour were the same), there was only one frame in the "solar study." I changed the sun position to a defined azimuth and elevation angle, rather than a date and time, and then Revit would export the walkthrough.

Oddly, even though it would not export the time-defined sun position setup as a walkthrough, it would play the walkthrough with this setting in the walkthrough edit mode. To this end user this looks like a "bug," but maybe Autodesk considers it a "feature." Fortunately for the intended audience of this particular walkthrough, exact solar positioning is not critical.

Thanks,

Michael Evans

Message 4 of 7

Hi, this is a few years to late, but for the benefit of other readers, I too had this issue and found it was solved by changing the rendering settings of the model. In particular changing the lighting to the "Still" setting. It was previously on multi day. I also found the single day produced the same problem when it came to exporting. 

In summary:

Make sure your lighting settings are set to 'Still' or 'Lighting' to allow proper export of the video. 

Message 5 of 7

thank you! that resolved my morning delay

Message 6 of 7

Hey Ethan.. Dude you've saved me some hundreds of neurons bro )) I was striving to get this stuff to work. And the solution was that simple. Appreciate it. Cheerz 

Message 7 of 7

Thank you very much, I was starting to struggle with the exporting walktrough¡

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report