Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Detailing Vs, ACAD Architecture 2011 Detailing

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jpldesign
2911 Views, 9 Replies

Revit Detailing Vs, ACAD Architecture 2011 Detailing

Is it me, or is the detailing in Revit lame? The detailing with ACAD Arch 2011 is so much better.

Has anyone else come to this conclusion?

I'm planning to switch to Revit and mainly because of the 3D and coordination. But the detailing...wow! Thats a step backwards.

Is there a work around here? Maybe use Revit Sheets in ACAD?

Jim

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ryan.duell
in reply to: jpldesign

I have included a few resources below for detailing in Revit Architecture.  As another option you can always link in existing CAD details you may have already created:
Detailing in Revit® Architecture
Attention to Detail
Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 Detailing

I have included a few resources below for detailing in Revit Architecture.  As another option you can always link in existing CAD details you may have already created:

Detailing in Revit® Architecture

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=2902

Attention to Detail

http://www.dccadd.net/papers/Tutorial%20-%20Creating%20Details%20in%20Revit%20Arch%202010.pdf

Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 Detailing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HTyj-X7bgo

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 10
jpldesign
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thanks Ryan

I will review that info which looks similar to ACAD ARCH 2011.

As for linking CAD detailed files, I assume I would have to change all the line weights?

I read that all placed on one layer is the way to do this and then rework the line weights?

Is that correct?

Jim

Message 4 of 10
rosskirby9128

Could you be a little more specific as to what aspects of Revit's detailing capabilities you find "lame"?  The CDs we've released used no imported CAD details (everything was drawn 100% in Revit, using OOTB Revit detail components), and the the drawings were indistinguishable from our typical CAD-detailed projects.

What exactly is it you're having trouble with?

Message 5 of 10

Revit detailing is like one of those things people tend to judge negatively before even trying. But once you give it a chance and you start using it and discovering it, you start to understand it and appreciate it. Then you discover that all the same stuff you can use in model families, such as constrains, reference planes, parameters, types, all of these things can be applied to your 2D detail components, and that you can put keynotes and other information into these detail components, and make some assemblies with all that, then you realize how good it is and can be. It's a process of discovery. You can develop all your details with this new system. Especially if you don't compare this system with the old system. As Lisa Drago says "You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 10
bt1138

Here are a few simple things that people miss in Revit drafting:

Pline

Polygon

Ability to rotate & scale drafting patterns

Mlines

All sorts of text formatting features

Boolean Operations (also missing in 3d)

Flood / fill open areas to create polygons (or boundaries for boundary-based objects)

Of course Revit has a lot of things that are unique, but anyone who tries this program for the first time will absolutely wonder where some of these basic features & object types have been hidden.

BT

Message 7 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: bt1138

@bt1138 wrote:

Here are a few simple things that people miss in Revit drafting:

Pline

Polygon

Ability to rotate & scale drafting patterns

Mlines

All sorts of text formatting features

Boolean Operations (also missing in 3d)

Flood / fill open areas to create polygons (or boundaries for boundary-based objects)

Of course Revit has a lot of things that are unique, but anyone who tries this program for the first time will absolutely wonder where some of these basic features & object types have been hidden.

BT

Let's see..

Pline : the equivalent is the selection with the tab key, which finds all the adjacent segments. But I agree on this one. A true Pline would be use to have.

Polygon: exists, it's in the Draw panel of every sketch or Line command tools.

Ability to rotate and scale patterns: especially rotating a pattern; that does not exist. About scaling, we have annotative drafting patterns in Revit, which is even better and somehow compensates for that.

Milines: not missed too much, since they were mostly created for drawing walls in 2D, which is not necessary anymore.

All sorts of formatting features. I agree, completely.

Flood / fill open areas to create polygons (or boundaries for boundary-based objects): Like the Bpoly tool? The ability to fill areas exists but we have to create filled regions, which is slow. The 'pick points' feature in Acad for filling hatch patterns or creating boundaries as polylines or regions is awesome.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 10
wohleb

Yes I agree.  Revit is much more diffacult to detail in. 

The simple act of placing a 2x6 plate at the top of a concrete foundation wall is easy enough in a wall section but doesn’t translate to the section....You can go to the elevation and then place it in elevation but then these don’t really show up in the model and require redundant crafting of the sections/wall sections for consistency. 

Truthfully I'm trying very hard to produce everything in Revit.  My project would typically have taken me one week to produce I'm now on my second month.  I learning but I'm not yet convinced that the value is there for a model to be created for projects under a certain size. 

Producing accurate site grading appears to be a joke.  Stairs and concrete structure require an awful lot of masking and modifications in the detail drawings.  Many of the people who advise on these issues  appear very defensive about the modeling software and have probably never produced documents for construction.  Don’t get me wrong. I’ve worked on large hospital projects where we coordinated all of the subtrades in the model (BIM) before producing a single piece of ductwork or conduit and it was very, very valuable.

But accuracy in the detailing is a very important aspect of our trade and I’m not seeing an economy in the construction detailing with revit.  Maybe their next version will be easier.

Message 9 of 10
joeldf

How about the ability to explode a detail component.  Easy enough to do in Acad.  Can't do it at all in Revit.

Sometimes I just want to change something specific about one detail part in one view without having to go through the laborious "edit family" process.  Using masking regions can be pain because front and back issues get in the way and can get messed up over the course of a project.

Can't just cut and past the linework from a family either into another detail view - not allowed for some stupid reason.

I've grown to like Revit overall, but some of the "rules" are just so inconvenient.  I've learned how to handle the detailing when it comes to regular line drafting, but working with detail components is a pain.  Half the time, I end up drafting over them just so I can then do whatever modifications to that particular part that I need to do.

An example, sometimes I just want to cut a CMU block in half as I detail a corner.  I can't explode the block detail component to cut it shorter while maintaining the linework and hatching in the block.  I have to draft new lines and hatch (or "region") to the modified shape and work the rest of the detail to it.  I tried the "masking region" to hide half the block, but then I still have to draft over the masking region, and that is what sometimes messes up.  The mask will sometimes re-order itself to cover the lines I want (or just some of them) and uncover the block.  In the case that this did happen to me, I didn't see it until it was plotted for final submittals a month after I originally drew the detail and thought I was done with it.

It's the little things.

Joel
Message 10 of 10
bt1138
in reply to: joeldf

Joel:

Thank you for mentioning the 'can't cut and paste' from here to there routines. Drives me crazy too!

bt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report