Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit CRASH

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
vewright
3349 Views, 7 Replies

Revit CRASH

Both Revit Architecture and Revit MEP crash when I try to insert an object. Architecture crashes as soon as I pick an icon. MEP crashes when I try to change the type of object, e.g., select an elbow when MEP suggests a transition.

I have:

• Repaired the installation.
  • Removed and reinstalled .NET 3.5.1
  • Installed .NET 4.0
  • Removed and reinstalled Architecture from scratch.
  • Checked to see that WSCommCnter2.exe is ending when Revit exits.

These are not new installations. Both worked when I first installed them. The only software that I have installed since these Revit programs last worked correctly is other Autodesk software.

Journal files from both Architecture and MEP are attached.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ryan.duell
in reply to: vewright

Thank you for the journal files. 

You can see Revit Architecture crashing with:

“DBG_WARN: TaskDialog Exception::
'External component has thrown an exception.: line 96 of .\TaskDialog\AdWindowsTaskDialog.cpp.”

And Revit MEP is crashing with:

“DBG_WARN: Invalid Ashrae Database: Create instance failed (80040154): line 316 of .\Ashrae\RbsASHRAEDuctFittingDatabase.cpp.
Invalid Duct Fitting K-Factor Database”

For Revit Architecture \ MEP please let me know the results from the following:

1.  If you disable Hardware Acceleration in the Revit options, close Revit, open Revit, does the issue persist?

2.  If you right-click Revit shortcut, and launch as “Run as Administrator” does the issue persist?

3.  Can we test launching Revit with no add-ins?  You can temporarily move these files using the process below:

“Manifest files are read automatically by Revit when they are placed in one of the following two locations in the Application Data folder on a user's system. There are separate locations for individualusers or all users, and they also depend on whether you are running Windows XP or Vista/Windows 7:”

For a specific user:

For Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2011

For Vista/Windows 7 - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2011

For all users:

For Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2011

For Vista/Windows 7 - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2011

"All files with an '.addin' filename extension found in these locations will be read and processed by Revit during start-up. Multiple add-ins may be loaded by a single manifest file. The manifest file syntax defines tags allowing you to specify all the information previously defined in the Revit.ini registrationdata, i.e. assembly path, full class name, text and description”

Additional information @ The Building Coder

Add-In Manifest and Guidize

Please let us know once you have an update.  If this issue should persists, and if you have access to Subscription, I would highly recommend creating a support case.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 8
vewright
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thanks for the prompt response!

Clearing the hardware acceleration box made no difference.

Running as administrator made no difference.

Revit Architecture 2011 crashes as soon as I pick an icon.

Revit MEP 2011 crashes when I try to change the type of object in the Properties drop-down list.

There is no addins folder as indicated, nor is there a Revit folder where indicated. Each Revit product has its own folder, and there is no addins folder in it.

Message 4 of 8
vewright

For those who are interested, I finally resolved this problem by reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't know which part of Windows 7 was broken, but an Upgrade repair (re-installation) did fix Windows. During the reinstallation process, Windows displayed a message that it was repairing .NET 4.

Notice that this type of re-installation is not the same as a Custom (Clean) install. An upgrade leaves all of your files and programs intact, where as a Custom installation does not. In a few cases, Windows might display a message about installing or configuring a program the first time you run it after the Upgrade, but I did not have to reinstall any programs.

Be sure that you have the Product Key for the installation you are repairing, before you begin the Upgrade/Repair. Windows does not retrieve the Product Key from the existing installation, even though you are not changing versions. If you downloaded Windows 7 or a Windows 7 Upgrade, your Product Key was contained in an email, and on your invoice. If you ordered a backup disk with the upgrade, the Product Key is NOT on the disk or the cardboard folder it comes in.

You can finish the repair without a Product Key, but Windows will soon inform you that your activation deadline has expired, and that you must enter a product key and activate immediately.

Message 5 of 8
ryan.duell

Thank you; we really appreciate this type of follow-up explaining the solution.  I am glad you were able to work through this behavior.

Thanks again,

Ryan Duell
Message 6 of 8
rosskirby

Just out of curiosity, what version of what Autodesk program did you install right before the crashes started happening?  Did you by any chance install an older version of software that was already on the machine (i.e. Revit 2010 install on machine that already had 2011)?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 8
vewright
in reply to: rosskirby

I installed the 2011 version of the AutoCAD Design Suite (3dsMax, etc.), Electrical, and Plant Design, but I am not certain that the failures occurred immediately thereafter. However, looking back, I had experienced erratic behaviour from AutoCAD for some time before Revit stopped working. In fact, a time tracking program had stopped working some weeks before.

I have no reason to believe that any Autodesk product was the root cause. It seems that something went wrong with Windows 7. Cosmic rays or neutrinos, perhaps....

Message 8 of 8
Akin_Autodesk

I seem to be having a similar problem on two of my client's machine, however with a slightly different twist.

The Revit Architecture 2012 view closes immediately any command is issued, for example when e.g creating a wall or a door. The Revit application itself does not crash but the view closes and brings up a display error message saying: "An error occurred while drawing the contents of this window. This window shall be closed." This occurs all the time, even when no other application is running and memory usage is still very low.

I downloaded and installed the update 2 for Revit 2012, but its still not working normally.

The system is a Windows 7 professional & I've attached the last 3 journal files generated from the system. Short of doing a re-install of the OS, what can I do?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report