Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit - Change Revision to Multiple Sheets

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
lukem35
66623 Views, 47 Replies

Revit - Change Revision to Multiple Sheets

This is driving me crazy, does anyone know how I can change the revisions to multiple sheets quickly, instead of going into each and every sheet and manually changing the revision?

Surely Autodesk has a fast and simple way to do this.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
rosskirby
in reply to: lukem35

What do you mean by "manually changing the revision"?  Are you talking about redrawing a cloud, or changing a cloud that was mistakenly drawn as a part of Revision 1, when it should have been part of Revision 2?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 48
lukem35

Sorry, my question is,

I wish to issue 100 architectural drawing sheets of a complete set of 400+, each sheet has a revision A or H or F, depending on how many times its changed.

Ive then created a new revision in the revision manager (seq.245 for example) how do I change all 100 drawings to show seq.245 correcting the revision on the title sheet, without going into each sheet one at a time and change to revision sequence in the "revision on sheet" tab?

Message 4 of 48
David_W_Koch

Are you using revision clouds to indicate the areas that were changed?  If so, and you assigned the revision cloud to the appropriate revision sequence, the revision will be indicated on all sheets that have at least one view with one cloud showing.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 48
rosskirby

Make sure that you check the box for "Issued" for each of the previous revisions, but not for the current revision (seq.245 in your example).  Any new clouds you create will be part of the new revision sequence automatically.  You shouldn't ever have to go in and manually change the revision associated with each cloud unless you forget to check the "Issued" parameter first.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 48
lukem35
in reply to: rosskirby

No revision cloud, in this example, I just need to add a blanket revision to multiple sheets at once.

Is there a way to pull up a list of drawings, then tick which ones need a new revisions regardless of clouds?

Message 7 of 48
rosskirby

Gotcha, so what you're talking about is not a revision, per se, but more of an issue package (like a 75% set, bid set, or permit set), right?

For those situations, we have a shared parameter that we use as part of the project information parameters, and a separate section in the titleblock for those labels.  That gets manually filled in on one sheet, and is propogated to all other sheets.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 48
lukem35

Thank your comments Ross.

As an idea for future revit updates, could we in the "Sheets Issues/Revisions" browser have a "plus" sign next to each seqeunce number that when expanded shows which drawings have been issued and also give you the option of ticking a sheet list, much like the one when you export to DWG.

This would mean, that you only need to go into a sheet if a revision cloud is required, and this would let you check what was issued in the past under the expanded sequence number.

thanks for you time.

Message 9 of 48
rosskirby

For the future Revit updates, you'll have to direct that to the development team, as I'm just an end-user.  

One other thing I thought of that is a bit more automatic is to create a revision cloud on one sheet, copy it, and the in the Paste drop down box, choose aligned to selected views.  You'll get a list of all the sheets in the project, where you can paste the cloud.  Then turn the visibility for the clouds and tags off for that revision, and now each sheet that's part of that "issue" can be scheduled via a typical sheet index with a parameter for revisions enabled.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 48
RJServoss

If the title block only has one location for both the major issuances  (Permit, Pricing, CD, BID, 90%, etc...)  and the revisions, put dummy revision clouds on every single sheet for the major issuances and assign the cloud/tag visibility to none. This takes no more than a minute or two to do. If the issuances are set up like this, it will also allow the consultants that may be using your title block family to not have to export & import your issue date/description shared parameters into their project.

Message 11 of 48
GlynnisVP

We had enough customers request this feature, so we bumped it up on our development list and just published this functionality within Ideate BIMLink for Revit 2014.  This blog explains the process if you want to learn more:  http://ideatesolutions.blogspot.com/2013/08/ideate-bimlink-for-revit-2014-conquers.html

Regards,

Glynnis Patterson

www.ideateexplorer.com | www.ideatebimlink.com

Message 12 of 48
scott

Hello everyone, I'm currently using for my main Architectural drawing production, Autocad Architecture 2013, and I've started the process of developing a 100% Revit template (no autocad bits therein), for all of our usual drawing sheets (Title Sheet, Demo sheets, New work sheets, Elevation Sheets, Detail sheets, schedule sheets, etc.).   The Revit Architectural Project multi sheet template for Revit, ended up looking very much like the one I've used for the last 9-10 years (Autocad).  I want to keep our sheets looking similar in appearance, if not identical, for our client's benefit.

I find it incredibly irritating that when I finally jump onto the Revit bandwagon (I bought the 2013 Revit package), that having an issue date that resides in every sheet would be a simple task for Revit.   One edits this issue date "block" and it updates globally across all sheets - simple, you say?!  NOT.    As others in this thread have mentioned, this is a traditional method of quickly determining what sheets have been issued for what purpose (Permit Set, Construction Docs, Addendums, etc.). 

Here's what my issue date 'block' looks like in Autocad.   The text is an autocad block, so when I typed in ACB #1 CD  07.26.13, it showed up in all my sheets.   It's a time saver - I don't have to manually enter in that data in every sheet. 

Double clicked, gets one the Edit Block doo-hicky....

I've tinkered around with adding parameters, trying to "trick" Revit's automated revisions to perform the same function as my multi-line issue date autocad block, but I've failed.    Having to plop a cloud whenever I want to add a new issue in Revit is maddening.    Ideate has devised a solution - maybe - but, this is only for Revit 2014.   Too bad, because I'd prefer not to spend a few thousand dollars to 'update' my brand new Revit 2013, just so I can have a functional autocad style issue date block.  

Anyone ever find a work-around for this?  

Message 13 of 48
jkarben
in reply to: scott

If those are values you want on all of your sheets how about just making it them text in your title block family?

Message 14 of 48
rosskirby

Do some research on shared parameters.  That's how you'd do what you're after.  We have the same thing in our titleblocks.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 15 of 48
scott
in reply to: jkarben

I Agree, jKarben - If I were to do so, would I not have to type, on every sheet, the issue date information? I was trying to do this with shared parameters (I failed), so the issue date info would magically appear on every sheet after typing it just once....

Message 16 of 48
scott

Yes Ross - I'd been trying to find the magic bullet paramerters that would allow me to assemble a multi-line issue date area.   A one stop shop place where I enter in the issue information, and it magically appears in the rest of my project sheets.

Message 17 of 48
RJServoss

A few ways for global sheet issues/revisions.

• Put dummy clouds on every sheet and populate the sheet issues/revisions accordingly. Set the clouds and tags to not be visible. With this method when your documents are being revised and clouded on an individual basis, your global issuances and your per sheet issuances will end up in the same table. 

• Put labels in your title block and associate the label to a shared parameter. Have those same shared parameters in your project. Associate them to the project information category. Under manage/project information, those shared parameters will be visible. Fill out the information there, and it will populate your title blocks globally. With this method, you will need a separate location in your title block for the per sheet issuances that get populated through the sheet issues/revisions, so pay attention to the location of the sheet issue/revision schedule in your title block.

• Edit your title block family by putting text directly into it for your global issuances. With this method, you will need a separate location in your title block for the per sheet issuances that get populated through the sheet issues/revisions, so pay attention to the location of the sheet issue/revision schedule in your title block.

Message 18 of 48
rosskirby

You'll have to make multiple shared parameters for each item.

We use Issue_01_Date and Issue_01_Description, then Issue_02_Date and Issue_02_Description, etc.

Once you've added those paramaters to your shared parameters file, go into your titleblock family and create a new label for the date, then when it asks which parameter to associate it with, you can choose the appropriate one from your shared parameter file.  Do the same for the description.  Repeat for as many issue fields as you want.

Then go into your project and create a new project parameter for each of the shared parameters, and choose the appropriate parameter from the shared parameters file.  Make sure you set the category for these to Project Information, and not Sheet, otherwise you'd end up changing it on every sheet.

Good luck.  Shared parameters are a pain to learn, but once you do, they're extremely useful.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 19 of 48
scott

Looks like I'll have to make a stack of these "We use Issue_01_Date and Issue_01_Description, then Issue_02_Date and Issue_02_Description, etc.", so I have enough in reserve for projects that pile on the issue dates....

You've provided me with a good strategy to further my quest.  And yes, my minimum foray into the proprietary shared parameter assmembly has shown me, that it is indeed a bit of a pain!  Smiley Happy I do feel better that I'm not singular in my frustration in this regard!

Message 20 of 48
jkarben
in reply to: RJServoss

@RJServoss...what value do you find for "Put dummy clouds on every sheet..." in lieu of checking to include the revision in the Revision on Sheet parameter?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report